Crazy Car Key Fobs

Mark J

I'd be happy to have a key ignition switch again, but then I'm the founding member of the Bring Back Dial Phones Club.  

For better or worse, the fob is the "key" on this 2018 Honda.  If you have the fob on (or near) you, then when you press the start button on the dash the car starts.  No fob, no start.  

No joke, it took me 8 minutes to figure out how to turn on and start my in-laws Hyundai with a similar RF fob system. I'm not a luddite, but car UX design has been going downhill for years, ever since they started moving everything from nice intuitive buttons/switches/knobs to everything being jammed into a touchscreen or made wireless.

I had something similar happen when I had my Mazda CX-5. My spare key was not close enough to unlock/start the car, but apparently was close enough to flag the low battery alert. 

Later on I got some water inside a wiring harness and it caused all sorts of gremlins in the fob system. 

Nowadays the only keys I ever carry are keys for work.

17 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

If they can make chip-controllerd bank cards that are flat enough to fit in a wallet, why not keys? 

I may be wrong on this but my Jeep key is just that. It's an RFID tag that gets pinged by the car to start the engine. The remote aspect is just to lock and unlock the doors away from the car. I believe the battery could die in my fob and I'd still be able to operate the vehicle as long as I could get inside. Not difficult with a Jeep i guess. That said it's making it pretty easy to spoof RFID tags and allow criminals to steal cars quickly and easily. Gone in 60 seconds needs to be remade into gone in 15 seconds.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Yeah, there is really no increased security from an RFID key..Now thieves can unlock the car without even touching it. My beef is that the stupid fob things are so bulky. I can't keep my truck and my wife's "keys" on the same ring anymore, it won't fit in my pocket. :angry:

Funy you say that, a company with some 3d printers is making aftermarket fob holders for jeep to solve the bulky problem.

https://mythreedom.com/pages/fobs-for-sale

First mod i made. Worth the very expensive cost for some bits of plastic.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 2:30 PM, BonPacific said:

I have never regretted just abandoning the fobs for my car entirely. The dang chip keys are bulky enough, the last thing I want is another cubic inch of plastic in my pocket.

This would be me as well.  The 'super cool' switchblade keys and built in fob monsters are not pocket friendly if you are an active person.  This leads me to setting the keys down somewhere which I don't care for either.

• 3 weeks later...