Harbor Freight handscrew clamp

BillyJack

On 12/20/2022 at 6:20 PM, Coop said:

I find limited use for these other than to hold a piece upright on the workbench. Care to share and others too, what you use these for? 

I find them mostly useful for jigs and operations, rarely for an actual glue-up. Most often the poor-mans-moxon as you mentioned. I have a small kurt vise but I don't love using that on wood, so the screw clamps come in handy at the drill press as Mark mentioned. I also like them for clamping to a vertical piece and supporting a horizontal component like a shelf or runner while I attach it.

• Like 1

I needed a 12" hand screw clamp for my drill press. I have a woodpecker table for my drill press and the clamping system will not hold close to the bit. I needed to make a 3" diameter bore on a small piece of wood. I went to harbour freight and found one. I clamped up the small piece of wood laying flat to hold for drilling. couldn't get to the next step. Clamped it would not lay flat on the table. Turns out the bore holes in the wood clamp were anywhere but centered. Brought the junk back and got a refund. Then I ordered one online a Bessey. I could by looking and later confirmed it was made in China. Same junk wood. Something tropical. I was suspicious. But it was built correctly . My thinking is Bessey wrote demanding requirements in the contract. Regardless the Bessey will get a use and avoid H. Freight for this item.

The woodpecker misses the mark by not offering clamps for close to the bit work. That is where you need it the most. All in all I like the table with this exception. The woodpecker fence was much more than welcome in the process.

• Like 1

All the old good ones are made out of beech. This Chinese version with contract demands is better than HF but not like the old days...At least it works for the intended purpose. The first time I only bought one clamp. Every other clamp that I have bought was in pairs. I expect that all I will ever need is one. Probably I   will only need it for the drill press.

I'm just going to leave this here.

Just a note, with these, you can make the wooden part out of whatever you like: Beech, purple heart, maple, osage orange, papier maché, whatever floats your boat.  $9.50 going down to $8.70 if you need 4 or more for a 2 1/4 jaw, all the way up to $21.90 ($20.10 for 4 or more) for a 10 1/4 jaw.  Made in USA (complete clamp made wherever you are when you assemble it).  https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/clamps/69826-dubuque-handscrew-kits?item=03F0732

• Like 1