LED Light Tape

JohnG

Looking at the sticky back LED light tape for under cabinet lighting. Seems you can only get it in generic store brands or nonsense company names direct from China. Are there any reliable brands to buy that I may have missed? The switches on most of them look awful but I can tuck that in the back of a cabinet and wire in a low profile switch somewhere accessible. 
Or I have space available to set up a separate dc power supply rather than using the included plug/switch. 

Don’t want to have to use a remote and don’t want multi-color. Temperature change/selection and dimmable would be good though, to get it to my wife’s liking. 

I’m not opposed to off-shore, I just want a source that’s reliable and decent quality. The private label brands at the big box stores make me nervous because they could change vendors any day and go from good quality to terrible within stock sitting on the shelf. 

On 1/1/2023 at 9:48 AM, JohnG said:

I’m not opposed to off-shore, I just want a source that’s reliable and decent quality. The private label brands at the big box stores make me nervous because they could change vendors any day and go from good quality to terrible within stock sitting on the shelf. 

Not only that but it’s probably the same thing being resold on Amazon/eBay with different labeling. And you can buy it on Alibaba for half price. 

• Like 1

My experience with low cost LED's in general (admittedly from some years ago) is that they will loose significant intensity in the first 100 hours or so.  Also, I have my doubts about the longevity of the adhesive backing.  So, me, I would think of tape lights as consumables.   If you're not committed to the idea of tape lights, actual fixtures might offer some higher quality options?  

I’m happy to spend money on it for quality lights, I don’t want the bulky fixtures in set widths that never seem to correspond with the width of my cabinets. Most of those are just cheap sheet metal boxes with a diffusing cover over these same LED strips, anyway. 

• Like 1

I've installed hundreds of feet of the Lee Valley LED tape and have never had a problem with it. Color uniformity is good. Be sure to use the aluminum extrusion to mount the tape in. Just sticking it to wood or plaster will shorten the life of the LEDs.

• Like 1

I did extensive research on this when I did the theater and never did find anything more than most come from China. In the end I went with the best reviewed product on Amazon and have had no issues. I did use staples to hold mine as like mentioned above didn’t think the adhesive would hold long term.

• Thanks 1

Dang, those lights are expensive!

I was thinking of getting some LED strip lights for our deck rail. I already have a transformer for it but hadn't thought of the aluminum track for heat dissipation. 

JohnG - whatever you get please let us know how it works. I have a row of cabinets I'd like to install some lights under.