5" 8-hole sandpaper discs?

BonPacific

Apparently Mirka is discontinuing my favorite sandpaper and moving to a swiss-cheese hole pattern. While I'm sure it makes sense for them to simplify SKUs, I only have 8-hole sanders so a bunch of extra holes in the sheet annoys me, especially when I inevitably end up grabbing a disc for some quick hand sanding.

Anyone have a brand of 5" 8-hole discs they like?

On 1/30/2023 at 12:31 PM, BonPacific said:

Apparently Mirka is discontinuing my favorite sandpaper and moving to a swiss-cheese hole pattern. While I'm sure it makes sense for them to simplify SKUs, I only have 8-hole sanders so a bunch of extra holes in the sheet annoys me, especially when I inevitably end up grabbing a disc for some quick hand sanding.

Anyone have a brand of 5" 8-hole discs they like?

Look for old stock…

On 1/30/2023 at 12:57 PM, BillyJack said:

Look for old stock…

Eh, even if I can find some that only postpones the inevitable need to switch to something new.

They also made the change last year and a few grits already seem to be sold out in the old style (checking buymirka.com) or jumping in price (amazon is up to $1.30 per sheet for the old stock).

On 1/30/2023 at 10:31 AM, BonPacific said:

a bunch of extra holes in the sheet annoys me, especially when I inevitably end up grabbing a disc for some quick hand sanding.

And all the extra hole adds up to reduced sanding surface which means each disc wears out faster.

• Like 1

Oh man using round hole punched sand paper for hand sanding is giving me a bit of a complex. I have some nice 3M stuff i use for hand sanding that comes in rectangular sheets with out holes it's really nice for hand sanding :P.

Festool changed from X holes to 3X holes on their 6" paper. I asked if it mattered if my sander had that many holes and the festool expert said no just run the new paper and it won't make much difference. I agree though there is no way the fewer holes makes the paper last longer only shorter. So if it makes you feel any better running it on your 8 hole pad will be ok it's not going to hurt the work piece. Eventually the 8hole pad will wear out and you'll likely have to replace it with the new style that will match up.

Or you could try different paper that is still in the 8 hole pattern but it's likely that is going to go away eventually as the more holes means the better DC, which is every brands goal.