Popular Post Chestnut Posted February 28 Popular Post Report Share Posted February 28 Someone cursed me. I said I'd never make dining chairs again and burned my routing jigs and templates. A forum member commented that I'd regret that. Sure enough i got an order from both my parents and the in-laws at the same time to make new tables, and chairs to match. This was probably 18 months ago but a little girl named Hazel is slowing down my production speed. I have not previously done more than post about the inlay for the table top https://www.woodtalkonline.com/topic/32466-whats-on-the-bench/?do=findComment&comment=442217. The table was a relatively quick simple project, a walnut trestle table sized to seat 6 comfortable 8 on the cramped side. I'll be making 6 chairs for this table. The second table is for my parents, it will be a square table that will pull apart to fit leaves to expand from seating 4 to seating 6-8. For this table only 4 chairs were requested as my parents have additional chairs available. The lucky part is both my in-laws and parents agreed on the same design of chair so that makes my job easier. Below is a picture that was the inspiration for the chair design. I obviously am not the rustic type and i have been give quite a bit of freedom so I'm going to make a more elegant non-rustic version. The design started from the past chairs I made. I wanted these to be a bit less formal so I am reducing the rear leg height from the 46" that I used for my cattail chairs to ~38". I used our work plotter to print off fullsize paper plans so i could make templates. I pasted the paper plans to plywood and cut out and shaped the template. From the templates i made routing jigs just like my last set of chairs. I will attach toggle clamps and PSA sand paper to help hold the work pieces in place while routing takes place. The one modification was to put the side rail and front rail on the same jig. When i was making the cattail chairs the routing templates offered too many pucker moments. Making the template jigs larger will go a long way to reduce those brown trouser moments. Once the routing jigs were complete material selection started. I have quite a large number of parts to pick out so I can only be so picky about material. Luckily I also have a lot of 6/4 walnut to work with. I"m making good effort to ensure that the grain runs along the back leg of the chair. Too much grain runout on these legs could cause strength issues long time. Beings that these chairs will not live in my house I am beefing up the design a bit. I use the initial template to identify the parts. Using white charcoal pencil I trace out rough outlines leaving a healthy gap around the outside. The rear and front legs will be ~1_1/4" square. Below shows my attempt to reduce grain run out. The walnut I bought was #1 com so there are some defects. I will be doing a bit of epoxy fills as some of the defects are a bit too hard to dodge. I don't want my waste for this project to go much over 10% so I'm trying to use as much as possible. So far I've been able to utilize a large amount of the boards with minimal waste and little compromise. Some of the boards had some figure. I tried to capture the figure in the front rail that goes under neath the seat. I'll shoot to have the figured boards matched with the same set of chairs. It's likely that they figured chairs will work better with my in-laws table so I'll keep the straighter grained material for my parents chairs. So far i have 3 hours into the project. I might try and track my time on these just to see how much is invested. 7 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.