• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 1:41 PM, Chestnut said:

0526231722-01.thumb.jpeg.10a7c54fe190bcdaed1a7dd448c9a20f.jpeg

Aurora Burning 15H
Aurora's End 15H
Red Rising 16H
He Who Fights With Monsters #9 12H in.
58H total time on project.

Great progress. It’s nice to see you slowing down now because of Hazel. Gives me hope that whenever my kids are old enough and out of the house I can get things done quicker. 

It appears one of us has our Miter Express set up backwards. Mine came with the saw so I didn’t set it up. 

IMG_4949.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I got mine used setup this way.

If it wasn't clear from the poor sentence above. I bought mine used from a guy. He had it setup like you see.

I think the intent is to provide more cross cut length with it being set up this way. It works really well and i have noticed any accuracy issues with it.

I knew what you meant! I think either way the cross cut length won't change but I imagine the balance of the sled does. I haven't had any issues with the way mine is set up either. Happened to be awake and reading your thread in the middle of the night and I was very confused. Had to go downstairs in the morning to confirm I wasn't going crazy.

14 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I can see where a custom clamping jig or two might pay off, even for just 6 chairs. Those are looking nice, BTW!

Not really, the chairs were fully finish prepped before assembly. The finish prep took about an hour. So i finished prepped one chair glued it and then worked on the next. This allowed me to glue 1 up at a time. In reality i usually was only able to get 1 chair done each night.

Maybe if i was batching chairs out in large amounts in short succession, but with 2 work benches and still space to work around the chairs i could probably glue 6 up in one go. I don't have enough clamps to glue more than 3 up at a time anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

They came out looking real nice Drew.  I must have missed it, how did you pyramid to tops of the back legs.

I didn't grab any pictures unfortunately. To get the pyramid effect i used my miter gauge and a stop block to reference the end of the leg in the same spot each time. I set the table saw blade to 45 degrees and then using the miter gauge made a cut for each of the 4 sides creating the pyramid. When i cut the pyramids the rear lengths were already cut to length so using the end was a good reference.

The stop block and table saw fence was similar to using the fence to reference cross cuts. The block just spaced the material off the table saw fence to prevent kickback.

14 hours ago, BillyJack said:

Turned out nice. You didn’t want to mill out the seat?

Did you use the Domino or M&T for the 4 corners?

Any support under the seat in the corners?

Been there done that never doing that again.

Not sure what 4 corners but the whole chair is floating M&T. Mortises were cut with a wiggly mortise maker tenon stock is home made and 2-3x larger than domino stock.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dave H said:

Beautiful chairs Drew, I really like that you celebrated all the flaws in the boards. I like the using lumber warts and all, I've never built chairs before, but watching your chair builds makes me want to dip my toes in the water.

My previous journal was probably better. I was more invested in those chairs and it was a lot more fun. These turned into a chore and I never really wanted to build them from the beginning tbh. I tried getting some kit chairs from Cremona but it was during a period when he didn't have inventory, and never heard back on how long until inventory would be restored. After I bought lumber and got started his inventory came back, so most of the planning and design was completed and the end users were set on the design.

As far as character. I defiantly cut around a lot. The walnut was rustic grade, which lead to some great figure and awesome boards but there was also a lot of defects that no matter the lipstick applied it'd still look like a pig. I'll use that material as secondary material or internal material on future projects.

I still have 4 chairs as part of this project but they are for my parents. I'm going to hold off on those until I get some other projects completed.

• Like 1