Roofing recommendations?

wtnhighlander

To all of you with residential construction experience, what brand of asphalt shingles do you prefer? Recent storm damage is driving me to replace my roof, but budgetary restrictions forbid an upgrade to metal / slate / tile roofing. 

I am in the "mid-South" climate, snow is almost non-existant, and the roof pitch is 6 in 12, if that influences anything. Roof is in direct sun all day, no appreciable shade.

Three years ago I went with metal. 50 year life span. Longest life span for any shingles was 25 years, that I could find.  I'm 80, why did I do that?  Simple, It increased the value of the home, gives me less concern about wind damage, that I've had a few times in the last fifteen years here, and it reflects the summer heat.

• Thanks 1

We’ve always used GAF Timberline shingles. When we added onto the house 2 years ago, the existing 10 yo roof was replaced to match the color of the add on and after the tornado in February, it was still in perfect shape. I think the installation is as important as the brand of shingles. Six nails per shingle and not staples. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Be a good time to think about solar cells.

Given the appraised value of homes in this area, probably not worth the effort. Roof ridge is North/South, so only 50% of the roof gets full sun at most hours of the day. Never get the ROI with electicity so cheap in tbe Tennessee Valley.

I’ve been putting together an estimate on my roof. If I get away with it I’ll wait till next spring, if not I’ll do it this year..

Remember … If it ain’t in writing it’s not a “fact”

Negotiate the products going on your roof and spend time looking at the write up.

• Like 1

I Have GAF Timberline on my house also.  They have been on since 1997 and still look like they are holding up well.  We had some extreme wind this past winter and the only shingles I found in my back yard were from my neighbors houses.

• Like 1

I have three tab since 99. Builders grade house. Any roofer will roof within the permit, it’s up to you to make sure. Has my roof been, 4 nail, 5 or 6? Does my house require an ice barrier and can I upgrade to better product. 

I would go to YouTube and start reviewing the common questions not asked to roofers you should ask. 

Whats under the shingles is just as, if not more important than the shingles.

• Like 1

We had our roof redone with GAF Timbeline laminated architectural shingles about 12 years ago. The crew showed up about 7:00AM and were just doing the last of the cleanup at 5:00 when I got home. The only debris I ever found was a small scrap of shingle stuck deep in the hedge 6 years later. The were far from the cheapest quote I got, but they sure did a nice job.

The roof has survived a couple of bad hail storms and still looks great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillyJack said:

Insurance claim or out of pocket?

Partial insurance, as there is damage to only the front slope. We're going out of pocket for the rest, to get the entire roof all matching. When we added the attached garage around 2005, the original style used on the house had been discontinued. The "closest match" is not really close enough. Plus we are stepping up from 3-tab to architectural to improve wind resistance. Hail has never been an issue in the 31 years we've been here, but wind is a recurring nightmare.

Tom, I'd love to go to metal "shakes" or synthetic slate panels, but I'm not at liberty to quadruple the budget....Forget the cypress shakes entirely!  :o

Both, Ken. Shop actually took much worse damage than the house, although it is far newer. We had the house treated last year, with a product marketed as 'Roof Rejuvinate'. Some foamy oil stuff they sprayed on. It softens the old, brittle alsphalt to make it more flexible, and also removed the dark algae streaks that are common around here. 

It is recommended to research and consider high-quality asphalt shingles for your new roof. Proper installation techniques are crucial, so it's important to choose a reputable and experienced contractor. In the mid-South climate, selecting shingles with high wind and hail resistance ratings and strong UV resistance can prevent premature aging and fading. If a slate roof is not feasible within your budget, some asphalt shingle brands offer products that mimic the look of slate at a more affordable price point. Consulting with a local building supply store can provide valuable recommendations based on their expertise. Considering factors such as wind resistance, hail resistance, UV resistance, and warranty can help ensure that your new roof provides reliable protection and durability.

• Like 1