Lie-Nielsen YouTube

legenddc

Very cool to watch! I’m always surprised by how little PPE is worn in foundry work. 

A lot of people tend to think that all manufacturing has become fully automated, or moved out of North America. 

Visitors to my work are always surprised how much people are involved in our manufacturing, and we have some items that go through 10+ manufacturing steps and are touched by a person at every step, and the item is sold for just a few dollars (while paying decent wages and good benefits).

I'm surprised at how low tech some of the process are. the part where they removed the castings from the sand molds made me chuckle a bit.

I now understand why their totes are a bit too chunky for my liking. I still love that they use cherry for their wood though. Why does their Canadian counterpart insist on using what ever ugly jungle wood they use. Heck walnut would be a better choice and probably cheaper.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 9:34 AM, Chestnut said:

. Why does their Canadian counterpart insist on using what ever ugly jungle wood they use. Heck walnut would be a better choice and probably cheaper.

I think that most totes and handles on the veritas planes are torrified maple. 

I agree with you though, the cherry on the Lie Nielsens looks much nicer. 

It's hard not to love cherry though. It looks so nice in so many applications! 

3 hours ago, Ron Swanson Jr. said:

I think that most totes and handles on the veritas planes are torrified maple

They switched them yet again. They must have switched to torified maple and i missed it. Obviously cause i have a plane with a torified maple knob. I like torified maple better than the 2 random jungle woods of the other items. Regular maple would be better yet. The white would look cool with the black coating and grey steel.

1229231304.thumb.jpg.498f6874ced84c8240a64d78105481ba.jpg

The saw and shooting plane look similar but are different woods. End grain is not even close looking. It's hard to get in a picture.