My Race is Run (Roubo)

Eric.

Thanks guys.

And how could I forget to mention? That beautiful pin handle you see...turned on the lathe by our very own, world-famous rmac. Thanks again, Russ. It was inspiration to me building a bench around that simple, yet impeccably crafted piece of rosewood.

LOL Yeah, your li'l craftsperson seems to be about as helpful as mine. So far her work has been limited to "turning the wheels" and playing in the "snow."

I have a boy coming this time...maybe he'll be more interested in the tools than the mess. :)

My girl (4yr 9mo) regularly comes to my shop with me. She helps me clean it and we do simple daddy/daughter projects. She has her own workbench too and is very quickly learning the proper names of the tools. I believe in educating her in things that are traditionally boy fields with the hope that, even if she doesn't continue in the shop with me as she ages, I will have planted a seed for her use when she gets older. It may be that she will work in my shop herself or call someone else's bluff if they try to BS her or who knows what else.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My girl (4yr 9mo) regularly comes to my shop with me. She helps me clean it and we do simple daddy/daughter projects. She has her own workbench too and is very quickly learning the proper names of the tools. I believe in educating her in things that are traditionally boy fields with the hope that, even if she doesn't continue in the shop with me as she ages, I will have planted a seed for her use when she gets older. It may be that she will work in my shop herself or call someone else's bluff if they try to BS her or who knows what else.

Great bench Eric....nice use of the woods and colors. DTs are great! My wife is an only child and a daddy's girl. He "retired" in his 30s due to an irregular heartbeat' but he still worked feverishly around the home - primarily in woodworking. His daughter followed him constantly and built things along with him.Then she and I met in college and I also, had built some things earlier in life with my dad. Then I began to spend more time with her dad. It was a romance/bromance and I learned a lot from both of them and learned to love both of them! Today, her dad has passed but in 1983, I married his daughter, a little woodworker who walked barefooted in the sawdust a long time ago. We build things together today in our shop. Odd to say, but I get choked up because I miss my father-in-law; and I've loved the little girl from his shop for about 33 years now.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Tom's Roubo build has me feeling a little nostalgic about my bench this morning, and I've been meaning to fix some of the pics that imagesuck decided to delete without warning.  So I did that and I'm gonna add a few construction pics in this post...just for the archives and because why not.

I know the split-top with the BC hardware has kind of become the beat-to-death, overdone G&G of the bench world in the last few years.  But for good reason...these things are incredibly versatile and the hardware is awesome.  I'm constantly grateful for one feature or another, and I never find myself longing for anything different.  Don't be turned off by the bandwagon dark cloud that hangs over it.  Sometimes the best is the best and you need to forget about the rest.  So eat that, haters!  Shazam!

Roubolumber.jpg

dscn0934c.jpg

rouboslabs013.jpg

dscn0944.jpg

rouboslabs002.jpg

roubobaselegvise013.jpg

roubobaselegvise019.jpg