Useful scrap or garbage

At what point does everyone take a cutoff and dump it in the garbage can rather than keeping it around? I looked around my shop yesterday afternoon and realized that I have a ton of tiny cutoffs that I don't see as being that useful but, for whatever reason, I'm reluctant to chuck. If you keep everything, how do you store it all? What sort of "useless" cutoffs have you kept and been glad you had at some point?

I keep too much also. I throw out anything, though, if it's too small for a clock (for example). I usually keep some pieces for push sticks or jigs but they have to be solid, not all torn up, if you know what I mean. the only really small stuff I keep is accent wood for buttons/plugs. I store a lot in shoe boxes stacked on a shelf and labeled by species. May soyund excessive but to me that's shop time too!

Jack

I'm like postal... I have a big garbage behind one bench in a corner; "useless" offcuts go there then they get burned in the fireplace or better yet the fire pit outside in winter.

Otherwise, I have 3 milk crates under one bench where "useful" offcuts go and get used for quick 1-off jigs, push sticks, cauls, etc. When the 3 are too full for additions, I sift through it to take out ones that really aren't that useful :)

I recently made a shooting board uniquely of scraps from the bin so it was a good way to get rid of some while building something I honestly should have built years ago.

IMG_1160.JPG

Nice thing about the "useless" garbage is that I can dig in it if I need something I know, I just know I have.

I used to be "if it doesn't fit into the shop vac hose - it stays... until I just couldn't walk around the garage anymore. I started reorganizing the garage in the last month, and threw out 5 32gallon trash bags with cut offs and parts that ultimately I figured - I will just not use. and if I do need a small cutoff - there is always more cutoffs to be made in future projects, so I should alywas have fresh cutoffs. just keeping them around becomes wasteful. some go to burning in a fire pit (if non harmful)

When I did my first wodworking project as an adult, I actually bought off-cuts from Home Depot to use as scrap. There are dozens of times that you need to hammer on something or clamp something and you don't want to mar the workpiece so you use a piece of scrapwood. Also for test cuts, temporary guides sacrificial backers, etc, etc.

Having actually paid for scrapwood in the past, it's very hard for me to throw them out now. Unfortunately, I have a lot of space, so as long as I can find boxes, I keep the scraps.

I tend to stack everything up and when the pile gets too big I sort and throw some of the redundant stuff away; like if I have 20 of the same tiny cube or something. From there is goes into a paper bag or box for "firewood" where it generally sits until I suddenly need a piece for a shim or a block to put something on, or a stain stir stick, or whatever. I just need to have friends over more often because that's when I build the fire in the pit and will grab whatever I can find to throw in it.

One thing I've found though is that I'll tend to keep bits that stack easily much longer than odd pieces that just stick out all over the place.

I keep a lot of scrap pieces and is difficult to walk around my garage/shop. About a month ago I gave away a bunch of scrap to a friend for barbecue purposes and that sounded as a good second use.

Sometimes I use my shavings to start my Mesquite.

Typically a piece that is unsafe to cut on my Kapex or table saw is scrap. Sometimes I use scrap as fillers to repair a piece that I over cut (this weekend) so re-veneering and re-cutting ....

This proves that I am almost a pack rat. Not the same as a rat pack ... :D

I have two rubber maid containers, one for semi long cut offs and one for shorter ones. I use a sharpie and put the size on the end. That way I don't have to measure them every time. I also have a milk crate for the tiny pieces which get thrown out. Don't have a fire pit :( I use the smaller ones for testing finishes and holding up things I want to paint. Unless I want to change the color of the bench cookies :)

I keep a lot of scrap pieces and is difficult to walk around my garage/shop. About a month ago I gave away a bunch of scrap to a friend for barbecue purposes and that sounded as a good second use.

Sometimes I use my shavings to start my Mesquite.

Typically a piece that is unsafe to cut on my Kapex or table saw is scrap. Sometimes I use scrap as fillers to repair a piece that I over cut (this weekend) so re-veneering and re-cutting ....

This proves that I am almost a pack rat. Not the same as a rat pack ... :D

I like to see some one use some pine in a barbecue pit. That would be some rough bar-b-q..... :lol: maybe some lighter pine :lol:

sounds good huh.... :o

Ron,

I should qualify. The shavings I use are alder. The scrap pine is for starting a fire in my outdoor fireplace.

Sorry about not being clear.

Take care.

I like to see some one use some pine in a barbecue pit. That would be some rough bar-b-q..... :lol: maybe some lighter pine :lol:

sounds good huh.... :o

i have three bins, Sheetgoods, solid, and solids too small that go to a friend for his shop's woodstove. When they get full, I go through them and keep the best, throw the remainder of solid wood to my friends bin, call him to come pick up his firewood and start all over.

Nothing just gets tossed out... If it seems especially useless it gets put into a pile for the outdoor fireplace. =)

I am the same way, nothing gets tossed. After completing my end grain cutting boards i cleaned up and stacked some of the cutoffs. Well below is another end grain cutting board I put together from the scrap. Not bad for something that was headed for the trash.

post-521-076904000 1284438133_thumb.jpg

I'll save all scraps from a project until I am through with the project. Then I sort through it. I'll save a couple of good scraps for a pen or two and chunk the little stuff into a kindling box for my in-laws fireplace. I make my own bowl blanks from logss so I have a lot of that kind of scrap.

That cutting board is amazing how long did it take you to do that

Hi Highschoolwoodworker,

Like I said it was made from cutoff from the cutting boards that I made. I kinda stacked them up and saw that they was enough there to make another board. If I remember correctly there are 25 stripes of wood in there. It took some time and a lot of glue! Here are pics of the other boards I have made. Marc has a nice podcast on this if you really want to make one, check it out

Good luck.

NYHump

post-521-021534600 1284481299_thumb.jpg

post-521-032383100 1284481314_thumb.jpg

Wow, nice. I like the one on the left. I'll have to look for some decent scrap and make one!

Looking at the second reminded me of one I saw on forum 2.0... someone made one with different color woods to look like a bit-map graphic of Super Mario. I have too many geek gamer friends who would love it.