I love to hear your opinions on this.

ChetlovesMer

I've watched a lot of youtube vids on woodworking, most are the standard recognized folks but I have also just randomly come across this or that, and for the most part I have not seen what these FWW guys are concerned about - which is ppl overselling their own skills.  most of the youtube vids I've seen are really nothing more than "hey this is the way I do x." which doesn't seem to be overselling so much.  i think most of us who are used to modern media are pretty aware of the 'viewer's responsibility' when it comes to this stuff.  maybe that's just me tho

FWW is fading, and it's scaring them.... They might have to actually get a real job in the near future.   Years ago, [prior to the internet] FWW was a useful resource, that we all stole ideas from.  Now they find themselves in the position of having to steal ideas from us........ It must be like "gravity" for them... it sucks!

• Like 1

I'm a big Steve Ramsey fan.  I tried to watch the Fine Woodworking video, but it was too boring.  I did here that he was complaining about people on YouTube claiming to be "experts".  I don't think Steve ever claimed to be an "expert", so I guess he wasn't talking about him.  He also complained about Wikipedia, which I find very useful.

I think it comes down to two sorts of people:  There are those who feel that they are right, and everyone who disagrees is wrong, and it's sad that people are wrong.  And there are those who feel that they have an opinion, and other people are entitled to have different opinions.

It's easy for me to be relaxed when someone disagrees with my woodworking beliefs, because I don't have a lot of ego in vested in being a wood working expert, and it's no skin off my nose if someone wants to do it differently.  There are other issues where I get pretty wound up if people disagree with me.

Old news.  It was a big hubbub a couple years ago for about 15 minutes.  I remember Asa even came on the WTO podcast to clean up the mess they made.  I think the whole thing was blown out of proportion...just like everything is on the internet.  I yawned through the entire fiasco for lack of interest.  And I yawn now.  Who cares either way.

• Like 1

Me, I like to watch steve ramsey for his humor and he comes out with some neat stuff at times. I also like FWW mag., in fact I look forward to it more than any other (excluding Playboy).

I think steve is out of line venting on someone's vetting. If you don't like the beer, pour it out and get one you like. In his opinion, he didn't like someone's else's opinion.

I'll continue enjoying steve's video's and reading FWW from cover to cover.

I agree with Eric (did he change his name or just steal Kiki's photo?). This is old news, and they moved on from this long ago. I did find this weeks discussion on table saw safety's lawsuits interesting, if a little long.

He changes names about as often as I do under ware.. just at the right time  :D

• Like 1

Old news.  It was a big hubbub a couple years ago for about 15 minutes.  I remember Asa even came on the WTO podcast to clean up the mess they made.  I think the whole thing was blown out of proportion...just like everything is on the internet.  I yawned through the entire fiasco for lack of interest.  And I yawn now.  Who cares either way.

pretty much sums up how i feel about it .

Forget about whether it's old or new for a second, and think about the topic within the topic. Steve Ramsey proved his point simply in the fact that I just watched a four minute video regarding a topic I knew nothing about. He had my undivided attention the entire time, and I had absolutely no skin in the game. There are lots of great woodworkers out there, and not so many people with 'it' factor. Even rarer species is the hybrid of the two.

If woodworking magazines want to move to video content,which of course they all should,they would be smart to find guys like Steve to do it.

Old news, sure, but FWW's video podcast content is still boring as all hell. So what did they learn?

I guess the reason I don't really have an opinion or any interest in the whole debate is because they're both right.  The guys on FWW were right that there are a lot of real idiots out there online peddling bad information and dangerous techniques.  And Steve was right to be offended by the seemingly blanket suggestion that anyone who wants to teach woodworking has to first get a permission slip from FWW.  It sounded holier than thou because FWW has a vested interest in remaining one of the few proprietors of trusted woodworking education.  But on the other hand, if someone in a completely neutral position - say, me, for example - would make the same general assertion, I wouldn't be lambasted by an entire community...because basically I would be right and everyone would know it.  Every week someone posts a new youtube clip of some maniac about to cut his fingers off whittling with a chainsaw chucked up in a lathe.

So I found the whole thing to be extremely junior-high-save-the-drama-for-your-mama.

The guys on FWW were right that there are a lot of real idiots out there online peddling bad information and dangerous techniques.

I would agree that bad content is out there, but if Asa wants to sit there and espouse his 17 years of experience in woodworking journalism, he needs to understand the audience and how his message would be received. Here's a guy who makes his living communicating, but he can't communicate the message in a way that doesn't sound holier-than-thou.

I hate to always use the example...but yet again look at Marc. He tells people all the time in his videos don't believe him, think for yourself, use common sense, etc. He communicates the same message in a way that doesn't put him on a pedestal.

To be honest though, I would heavily blame the offscreen guy. He totally put Asa on the spot, and he brought up something they were discussing in private at their workplace. That's not cool IMO. Asa was clearly unprepared for the topic and that certainly leads to a bit of rambling. Clearly not much editing was done (and to my point about Marc, he may extensively edit those non-live videos to make sure he comes across better).

I think all content is good content.

I'm going to put it very straight forward. If you are stupid enough to be the one to throw that chainsaw in a lathe and carve a 12x12x12 laminated cube of asbestos covered MDF...you deserve anything that comes from that. If you EVER use the excuse, "well so and so did it on YouTube/WTO/FWW...etc" and you get hurt, it's no ones fault but your own. Know your limits, and think before you do.

In the same boat of anyone using Wikipedia. I love wikipedia. But you need to know how to verify sources. If you see something that might sound profound, or you question it just slightly, follow thay cited source! No source? No dice. It's the people that copy and paste anything like "2+3=apple" into a research paper or online forum that ruin it. I get it, anyone can edit it, but use some common sense.