2015 goals

duckkisser

Great topic Duck. I started putting together my list of goals for 2015 the other day. It's rather long and hopefully I'll be able to complete it all.

1) Plaster and paint my damn shop ceiling

2) Finally build some storage in the shop cabinets, drawers and a new lathe tool holder for starters

3) Build a modified Roubo style workbench that will double as an outfeed table (maybe my goal should be to completely design it)

4) Get more involved in local events, and selling items at some "craft type shows"

5) Design the cabinets for my parents kitchen

6) REINDEER! (I plan to up my game next year and start early to raise money for animal rescue)

7) Possibly start on another acoustic guitar (I'm thinking walnut sides and back, sitka spruce top, flame maple neck, ebony bridge and fretboard)

8) Buy an HVLP system

Somewhere on that list should be landscape my back yard, replace my deck and try to keep my yard weed free. Perhaps napalm is in order. 

Oh yea, make 10 clones of me to do all this work.

• Like 1

hahaha wow everyone has a busy next year.  i plan on puting down the remote and staying off computer games until i am caught up.  i am buying my first home and it needs a complete remodel.  plus i need to put in a complete shop both large jobs in of them selves. i hope if i stop procrastinating and wasting time watching movies (watch at least 3-4 a week) and playing video games embarrassing number of hours on weekends i might get some stuff accomplished by April so i can move in, if not done at east ill be satisfied with the home to be a place where i can hang my hat.  

anyone else going to sacrifice in order to get more acomplished?

I'm pretty well caught up right now, which is nice.

I have a decorative box to make before my son-in-law's wedding in June, and then I have another for my brother in October.

I don't much like dead lines in my hobbies, so if the boxes aren't happening I'll just get them toasters.

Right now I'm thinking about a hall table with curves. All my projects have been pretty much square up to this point.

I'm agonizing over the form, so in the next couple of days I may do a full sized mock-up out of styrofoam or cardboard.

I tried learning Sketch-up but went back to pencil and paper. I got the Sketch-up basics down but I was spending more time struggling with my computer than I was spending in the shop and I didn't find the drawings I produced to be very helpful during the build.

On this forum, I would like to learn how to post photos in with my text.

That would be nice.

I seem to be having problems with my photos being over-sized.

I would like to do much more work on learning inlays and take up veneering as well.

I want to make a mobile base for my shop-vac and dustright thingy to ride on.

Otherwise, no shop furniture for me.

I'm a renter so the shop space isn't mine and there's no reason to make upgrades as long as I can work with it as is.

Dave

On the woodworking side, I need to get my shop to my house. All the electrical installed, and a good dust collection system. Once that is finally here, I will need to build a better bench than what I currently have. Not talking a roubo or such, but something that doesn't double as my table saw outfeed table :)

On the project side, I want to get a built-in done, an ottoman/coffee table, simple platform bed, vanity and new storage cabinet in my bathroom.

On the tool side, I want a dust collection system, band saw, and floor standing planer. I'm positive I've nailed down my choices to the Grizzly 17" bandsaw and 15" planer.

Should be an interesting year to see if any of that comes to fruition :)

Shop:

Better organization - remove the clutter. (problem is I see potential in everything and thus have a hard time throwing stuff out or burning scraps).

Rebuild SCMS station.

Build dedicated router table - get it out of my outfeed/assembly table

Build tool cabinet, with cubbies below

Build new workbench

Rebuild outfeed/assembly table

Techniques:

Use a scraper better and more often - less sanding (I'm with Rogowski on this - need to move away from so much sanding and the dust). I just got a proper burnisher so that should help.

Learn to use hand saws well

Tools:

20" planer with spiral blades (probably Grizzly)

band saw (thinking Laguna 14-twelve)

retool my 8" jointer to have spiral blades

router plane (Veritas)

chisel plane (Woodriver)

rabbet plane (?)

a few hand saws

Make stuff: 

For me: bathroom vanity, and dresser

Further develop a line of products. Keeping these a secret for now - can't share all my goals and dreams.

Non-woodworking:

More rafting with my son and wife.

More hiking.

Hmmm...this was good. Thanks. I'll have to print this and hang it in the shop and next to my confuser.

Goals...

Finish the projects I have before taking on any more.

Lose weight.

Build something truly spectacular.

Help a friend clear out his garage so he can finish his projects. Good guy with a heart of gold. He has a couple cars that have been tucked away since the 60's or so. It's my goal to help as much as I can to enable him to realize his dream of finishing these cars.

• Like 1

I want to learn to do some hand work. Gunna start a Roycroft book shelf and would like to try and carve the Roycroft symbol by hand to start off.

PB, I googled Roycroft, thinking it was a person but found it was a style? Is that correct? Do you have a pic of the book shelf you would like to build

PB, I googled Roycroft, thinking it was a person but found it was a style? Is that correct? Do you have a pic of the book shelf you would like to build

I don't know that I would call Roycroft a style. Stickley now owns the Roycroft rights. Ive done a few of these already and have the templates to make them easily but have never carved in the symbols. I also have the dxf file I was going to cut into masking to cheat a little. Like the Stickley version I added the little "dimple style T&G with a custom set of knives but I use those on most every thing glued up.

264_01.jpg

I don't know that I would call Roycroft a style. Stickley now owns the Roycroft rights. Ive done a few of these already and have the templates to make them easily but have never carved in the symbols. I also have the dxf file I was going to cut into masking to cheat a little. Like the Stickley version I added the little "dimple style T&G with a custom set of knives but I use those on most every thing glued up.

264_01.jpg

I love the tusk tenon.

I like the style!

Is this usually qs oak?

How do you get the look on the sides.

Is that just a raised panel?

Here I go again, hijacking a thread. Sorry OP/Duck

Yes QS oak was original.

That is a defect in the piece as far as I can tell, that is a original. Its just a flat glue up in every one Ive seen in real life.

I'm pretty well caught up right now, which is nice.

I have a decorative box to make before my son-in-law's wedding in June, and then I have another for my brother in October.

I don't much like dead lines in my hobbies, so if the boxes aren't happening I'll just get them toasters.

Right now I'm thinking about a hall table with curves. All my projects have been pretty much square up to this point.

I'm agonizing over the form, so in the next couple of days I may do a full sized mock-up out of styrofoam or cardboard.

I tried learning Sketch-up but went back to pencil and paper. I got the Sketch-up basics down but I was spending more time struggling with my computer than I was spending in the shop and I didn't find the drawings I produced to be very helpful during the build.

On this forum, I would like to learn how to post photos in with my text.

That would be nice.

I seem to be having problems with my photos being over-sized.

I would like to do much more work on learning inlays and take up veneering as well.

I want to make a mobile base for my shop-vac and dustright thingy to ride on.

Otherwise, no shop furniture for me.

I'm a renter so the shop space isn't mine and there's no reason to make upgrades as long as I can work with it as is.

Dave

got posting images I upload them to photobucket which is a online housing program for images and transfer them strait to the site.  if you need help with that I can probably help you with that.   as for inlays if you like I can help you with stone and powder inlays mostly in my turnings. I have not messed with wood inlays yet.  but I bet someone could help you with that.

I don't set long term goals.  :ph34r:

I just want to make it through 2015. At my age, next Tuesday is a stretch as far as planning anything goes.  :rolleyes:

So, I'll just keep on keeping on doing what I've been doing. Playing around with woodworking and watching this site and enjoying life. 

The family, friends (including you guys) are all I need so, I'll just keep laughing my way down the path again this year.   :D

Rog

best response Rog im not at the point where I can let things be yet still need a lot of things done in my life house, wife, kids, shop ect....

I like the style!

Is this usually qs oak?

How do you get the look on the sides.

Is that just a raised panel?

Here I go again, hijacking a thread. Sorry OP/Duck

so your goal is not to hijack threads in 2015 :) its all good I like a fluid post where people actually talk rather then me post something and then I get 20.000 good jobs.  

so your goal is not to hijack threads in 2015 :) its all good I like a fluid post where people actually talk rather then me post something and then I get 20.000 good jobs.  

Thanks

Good Job

Roflmao!

I nearly passed some beer through my nasal passages on that one!

got posting images I upload them to photobucket which is a online housing program for images and transfer them strait to the site.  if you need help with that I can probably help you with that.   as for inlays if you like I can help you with stone and powder inlays mostly in my turnings. I have not messed with wood inlays yet.  but I bet someone could help you with that.

Nice!

I'll try photobucket.

See that?

Already workin' on one of my 2015 goals.

Duck: I really admire your inlays. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your offer.

You'll be hearing from me after I do my homework. Then I can ask sensible questions.

If I have any non-sensible questions I'll just ask them here.

:)

Dave

I'm also a newbie woodworker. I started this fall by building cabinets in my store room. I'm currently working on the doors. I also need to fit in an end grain cutting board for my wife for Xmas. I have the stock cut into strips so far. After that I have a whole wall of built in cabinets and bookcases to build. I have 2 sons that are in Scouts, so I work around their activities. It makes for a busy life. I would also like to thank all the wonderful woodworkers in this forum that give so much to new woodworkers like me.

Duck: I really admire your inlays. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your offer.

You'll be hearing from me after I do my homework. Then I can ask sensible questions.

If I have any non-sensible questions I'll just ask them here.

:)

Dave

dave just send me a pm when you want to start I can walk you through step by step in fact ill be posting a possible inlay list of materials sometime as part of my 2015 goals of doing 5 tutorials on my web site.  but if you get a project done that you want to do an inlay ill help you get it done without doing tons of homework.  I can save you tons of trial and error and reading dead end web sites.  https://featheredwoodworking.wordpress.com/2014/07/01/352/ here is a tutorial I wrote last year about doing stone inlay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qPWU-96mY4 this is a good video on doing inlay

http://stephenhatcher.com/ as far as I can tell this guy is the leading inlay turner that I know of plus he is a great guy he sent me some stone and some wood when I first started.