Dewalt DW733 planer

SawDustB

Hi guys, I was hoping to get some opinions on this planer. One came up for sale used for 200 Canadian (about 160 US). It's supposedly seen almost no use, but it's from 2005. What do you think? Should I bite? I was saving for the ridgid 3 blade planer, but I'm thinking this might get me one now.

I bought mine used as well, and I have no complaints. Obviously if I had room for larger I would. Knives can be hard to find, but I found a set at lowes so I bought them, if I see another set would probably buy them.

Infinitytools.com sells 733 HSS blades that last longer than OEM blades.

Yeah, I'm always skeptical of the claims of things being unused. But it seems in OK condition, if a little neglected. And realistically this is the only way I was going to get a half decent planer this year, since I still want to replace my table saw. It should come in handy, since I'm planning on making one of the kitchen helpers from the wood whisperer for my next project.

Yeah, I'm always skeptical of the claims of things being unused. But it seems in OK condition, if a little neglected. And realistically this is the only way I was going to get a half decent planer this year, since I still want to replace my table saw. It should come in handy, since I'm planning on making one of the kitchen helpers from the wood whisperer for my next project.

Infinity has blades for the 734 as well, and I can assure you, they are better than OEM blades, and can be honed 4 or 5 times!

• 4 months later...

I have a friend that wants to buy the Dewalt 734, new at Sears for $399. (He has a Sears gift card). He texted me asking the difference in the 735 that I have, which Sears has for $599, and the 734, aside from the $200. Does anyone have experience with the two?

• 1 year later...
On 9/22/2015 at 2:22 PM, K Cooper said:

I have a friend that wants to buy the Dewalt 734, new at Sears for $399. (He has a Sears gift card). He texted me asking the difference in the 735 that I have, which Sears has for $599, and the 734, aside from the $200. Does anyone have experience with the two?

I ran a 734 for years and dad has the 735.  The 734 has a carriage lock which many planers in that format do not.  The Delta SnipeMaster is a commonly derided 'free-floating carriage' version.  The carriage lock helps with preventing poor performance due to the lightweight frame getting pushed around during material feeding.

The 735 uses a different carriage control mechanism and does not require a lock.  The 735 has 2 speeds which allow for faster work or better finish.  The 735 has pretty good chip ejection using a built in blower but, works best with some dust collection.

The 734 weighs in at 80 pounds and the 735 is 90 pounds so neither is something I would like to throw up onto a work surface and then tuck onto a shelf when I am done.  Both have table adjustments to tune out snipe.  The tables are extra on the 735 and included on the 734. 

Both have three indexed knives that are reversible and require no setup adjustment.  The stock 734 knives (which are heavier in thickness and overall dimension) last much longer than the stock 735 knives.  I cannot speak to the aftermarket but, most reports are positive.

7 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Man, I hope future readers don't run across this conversation and develop a bad opinion of Carus and Coop!

emoji3.png

7 hours ago, Chet K said:

I guess it would be good to say the spammer's post have been removed.

Here's the beauty of moderator power:  You can just delete all irrelevant posts from the thread and there will be no confusion whatsoever.  It's an annoying job.  Congrats. :)

• Like 1