Cheap Chisels?

Lee Bussy

I figured that title might bring some out of the woodwork. :)

I don't have any chisels that haven't been used to open paint cans.  I was thinking of buying a 4-piece set just because a large set seems wasteful and just one may not be THE one I like.

I've read that the Narex may be a decent choice, I've also seen recommendations for the Stanley Sweetheart.  The Stanley is about twice the price of the Narex - I can see some quality differences at the handles but that's about it.  Any suggestions?

I do have a set of stones and a guide.

The Narex chisels are probably the best bang for the buck without going nuts and getting LN, Veritas, or some high end Japanese chisels. I do find the handles of the Narex to be a bit big. The Stanley Sweetheart chisels are made in England and are a good chisel, though I've heard some say the metal is a little softer than they'd like in terms of edge retention. 

Ideally you'd want 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1" chisels for most tasks, and add odd sizes as needed. Some people also like to get metric sized chisels so they are a touch smaller than the imperial sizes. 

I like the size of the Narex handles. Like, really like. Like, I bought the entire line, like.

Obviously, that was a bit unnecessary. But I can and do recommend them. I'd say they are the best budget set on the market, and they feel like they should cost more.

IMG_20150228_194621813-1024x576.jpg

Edited by Cochese

I've got a set of the Stanley SH's in my limited use of them they seem to work.  I don't have a lot to compare them to though.  The handles fit pretty well from the factory and they take an edge well.  They have deeper machine marks on the faces than I would like but the backs came pretty darn flat. 

The Narex chisel's are without a doubt the best bang for the buck. I did find that it took some work to get the backs flat though. About twice as long as it took to flatten the backs of my 2 Cherries. However, I prefer using the Narex chisel's over the 2 Cherries. Better balance and the handles are more comfortable for me.

I only have a mortise chisel from Narex. If the bench chisels are as good as this one then you will be very pleased with them. I always say buy the best you can afford as you will have them a long time. So home center sets can stay on the shelves unless you have some paint cans to open. Get some Narex.

I have a set of four Narex Chisels and a couple LN Chisels. The Narex are good but there is a significant difference between the the two IMHO, LN hands down a much better chisel that holds a much better edge than the Narex. I almost always reach for my LN's first unless I run into a situation like I did the other day when my 1/2" LN chisel came out the socket and smacked the concrete. I did not want to mess with rehoning the bevel at that time and was glad I was able to grab the 1/2" Narex. I digress, the Narex Chisels are a very good value but do yourself a favor and buy 1 premium chisel. 

• Like 1

I figure chisels are like chefs knives or straight razors ... You can put an edge on anything but after that it's how it feels in your hand and how long it lasts.   I will probably damage the edges more frequently than normal for a while, so practice honing is not a bad thing.  

I would not want to buy a premium chisel till I know what I like.  I've read people say they have 30 but always grab one.   I'd like to figure out which one that is first.  

On the bench vs mortise chisel thing: I thought a mortise chisel was one where it has a full bevel on the sides.   Is that the only difference?  If so, why wouldn't I want all mortise chisels since they could do both?  

I figure chisels are like chefs knives or straight razors ... You can put an edge on anything but after that it's how it feels in your hand and how long it lasts.   I will probably damage the edges more frequently than normal for a while, so practice honing is not a bad thing.  

I would not want to buy a premium chisel till I know what I like.  I've read people say they have 30 but always grab one.   I'd like to figure out which one that is first.  

On the bench vs mortise chisel thing: I thought a mortise chisel was one where it has a full bevel on the sides.   Is that the only difference?  If so, why wouldn't I want all mortise chisels since they could do both?  

More like the opposite. Mortise chisels have square sides. The two are also ground at different bevel degrees. The steel is thicker on the mortise chisel; you'll be doing more pounding and lever actions with the mortise versus the bench. Bench are more suited to paring and light chopping. Bench, particularly ones that have a beveled shoulder all the way to the tang like the Narex premium, are suitable for making and cleaning dovetails.

I am no chisel expert though. You could do both tasks with one or the other, but you're more likely to induce error, dull the edge, and take longer. Just my experience.

If you want to practice honing (because you'll be doing it constantly) you could pick up the $10 set from Harbor Freight. Practice putting microbevels, experiment with different grinds, etc. I kept a couple of them for opening plastic packages or finish cans.

Edited by Cochese

Look at how the sides taper up more on the premium (lower) set. Useful for tight spaces like a dovetail, but I survive without them.

I have the larger set of number 1, my thought is this... It's hooped, The hoop is designed to maintain the shape of the handle by keeping it from splitting as you hit it with a "wooden" mallet! Over time, the little that sticks above the hoop will mushroom over and   help protect your hand, and the hoop.    The second set may well be made with a harder wood and not need the hoop!  But if you're anything like the average wood worker, You know one thing in woodworking is a certainity. "Wood will split".  I'd say the second is for light work!

Proof that one has not worked with hop hornbeam. ?You might be right Richard, but my experience thinks not. I rather think the hoop on the more basic set is due to a lesser quality handle. Mortising is the only time I whack a chisel with force and dedicated chisels to mortise with reserve the bench chisels for other tasks. Might just be me. 

Edited by C Shaffer