Happenings on earth

ColinF

so I've always enjoyed earth science, in high school earth/space science was one of my most enjoyable classes. So anyhoo, after a quick glance at the farmers almanac this morning I started reading about "The year without a summer", Google it, which leads me to read about a super volcano under yellow stone, which is going to wipe out 2/3 of the U.S., and the Madrid fault, which is going to wipe out the other 1/3. I feel like running around holding up a sign screaming we are doomed! So what other catastrophic events do we have to look forward to??? 

Massive monsoons, tidal shifts, asteroids, and of course, global warming. Sleep well, Colin.

Yes, and don't worry about the noises you hear at night. They are just the sounds of raccoons and coyotes getting into your trash cans. ;) It's nothing to be overly concerned with...

Every 12,000 years or so the earth's magnetic poles swap. Guess what time it is?

Under certain scenarios, a quasar can eject an immense amount of energy that is billions of times stronger than all the energy our sun will ever output. There is one several light years away that is pointed pretty well at us. 

At it's current rate, the expanding universe will die in one of the following ways: 

The Big Rip - All mass in the universe will shred itself as the universe continues to expand. 

Heat death - All available energy in the universe will be consumed, including mass. 

Big Crunch - Though mostly though to be wrong now - the universe reaches a point where the mass pulls itself back and smashes us all into a singularity, to be reborn again in a new big bang.

There are rogue planets that were ejected out of their solar system (usually due to a binary star gravity tug of war) that are roaming around the universe - some of them at a pretty high fraction of the speed of light. See: Meloncholia (movie with Kirsten Dunst) to witness this. 

There are rogue stars, same thing, way bigger, way hotter. 

An earthquake in the canary islands could cause a wave that will wipe out the better part of the east coast. 

There may be enough co2 trapped in the earth that it can release and pretty well destroy our environment.

There is maybe as much as five times more water beneath the earths surface than there is viewable to the eye. This can release and make it so Mount Everest is the only real estate left.

And finally - Nikola Tesla surmised that if you set off 1 ton of dynamite every xx number of minutes (can't recall what that number is) that each explosion would be set off as the crest of the previous explosion reached the point of detonation causing the signal to exponentially increase as it is sent back across the earth. He theorized that after about a year or so - The earth would crack in half. He supposedly tested this theory of resonant frequency either by nearly destroying a building or a bridge, depending on who you listen to.

Every 12,000 years or so the earth's magnetic poles swap. Guess what time it is?

Under certain scenarios, a quasar can eject an immense amount of energy that is billions of times stronger than all the energy our sun will ever output. There is one several light years away that is pointed pretty well at us. 

At it's current rate, the expanding universe will die in one of the following ways: 

The Big Rip - All mass in the universe will shred itself as the universe continues to expand. 

Heat death - All available energy in the universe will be consumed, including mass. 

Big Crunch - Though mostly though to be wrong now - the universe reaches a point where the mass pulls itself back and smashes us all into a singularity, to be reborn again in a new big bang.

There are rogue planets that were ejected out of their solar system (usually due to a binary star gravity tug of war) that are roaming around the universe - some of them at a pretty high fraction of the speed of light. See: Meloncholia (movie with Kirsten Dunst) to witness this. 

There are rogue stars, same thing, way bigger, way hotter. 

An earthquake in the canary islands could cause a wave that will wipe out the better part of the east coast. 

There may be enough co2 trapped in the earth that it can release and pretty well destroy our environment.

There is maybe as much as five times more water beneath the earths surface than there is viewable to the eye. This can release and make it so Mount Everest is the only real estate left.

And finally - Nikola Tesla surmised that if you set off 1 ton of dynamite every xx number of minutes (can't recall what that number is) that each explosion would be set off as the crest of the previous explosion reached the point of detonation causing the signal to exponentially increase as it is sent back across the earth. He theorized that after about a year or so - The earth would crack in half. He supposedly tested this theory of resonant frequency either by nearly destroying a building or a bridge, depending on who you listen to.

You skipped over the methane.

And bird flu.

You skipped over the methane.

And bird flu.

METHANE! Dang it. Possibly the cause of one of the great extinction events. Can't remember which. Ahh well, I was rambling from the top of my head.

Cliff, you don't have to worry about any of that stuff.  You're gonna die from comic book brain rot long before any big rip crunchy heat meltings.  It's already started, clearly.  Does it hurt?

If by "brain rot" you mean "bask in the aftermath of glorious Batman stories." Also.. I just want to point out - I bought a comic for about $70, got it graded, came back worth $1200. Actually selling for $900ish on ebay. I don't know if I will sell it as it's one of my all time top five and will spike in value when Batman v Superman is released - but it's good to know that is my domino if I want it.

After waiting for the mayan calendar prediction, and watching the movie 2012, i've come to the conclusion that we are all on borrowed time, so figure i'll just enjoy the time I got left!

Thing about the Mayan calendar.. somewhere, can't remember where.. they tore down a wall and it was like "oh here is page two.." The calendar just stopped at 2012, or so they thought, but when they found the rest nobody reported on it. Because "NOTHING WILL HAPPEN IN 2012 GUYS" isn't going to bring viewers to your site/tv station.

Every so often a race reaches its apex and must be reset. It's part of the cycle. Dinosaurs, Egyptians, Humans. Not saying it'll be in my lifetime or in my great great grandchildren's lifetime. I'd say within the next 300-500 years, humans will have gotten to a point where they wipe themselves out, then the planet goes dormant for thousands of years and new life begins. Hopefully the next batch has some form of woodworking. 

Every so often a race reaches its apex and must be reset. It's part of the cycle. Dinosaurs, Egyptians, Humans. Not saying it'll be in my lifetime or in my great great grandchildren's lifetime. I'd say within the next 300-500 years, humans will have gotten to a point where they wipe themselves out, then the planet goes dormant for thousands of years and new life begins. Hopefully the next batch has some form of woodworking. 

Cycles can be broken. We have the intelligence and will have the technology. The key is to leave the planet and colonize.