Practice Chest of Drawers v 1.0

wnaziri

That looks amazing! You did a fantastic job!

You were "influenced by several people on this forum" and then bought a bunch of festool. I like the sound of that! Smart man.

I would love to see pics of the shop as it comes together and all the sweet tools you bought. Keep us posted!!

I want to thank all of you for such kind words.  I must admit I did not know what to expect when I posted my pics.  I know that many here are perfectionists and have amazing skills.  I was really afraid that I would be inundated with "constructive" criticism.  I will post some nice, bigger pics when the project is 100% complete.  I have ordered some hardware for it and should button up the last few loose ends this week.  I hope to deliver it to my daughter's apartment this weekend.

With all this encouragement, I am feeling bold and want to tackle a bigger challenges.  In fact, I decided today to do something I might regret: try to use a picture of a cabinet as inspiration to create something similar.  I have no cut list, SketchUp file, etc.  Just a pic and general dimensions.  It will become my son's shoe rack. I plan to use QS sapele with pomelle sapele veneer for the panels.  The color match is great.  I may even to do a journal.

Super nice job, make sure you sign it before sending it off with your daughter.

You should be proud of the job you did and the good folk here on this forum are always here to bounce ideas off of!

This is going to sound stupid but where (on a piece like this) would you sign and what do you use to sign?  Is there an established convention on where and how to sign furniture?  As you can tell, I have never bought any piece of furniture that has been signed.;)

• 4 weeks later...

I somehow missed these final pics. It turned out beautiful. You did an awesome job!

Thanks Shaney for the kind words.  I have been following your journal with great deal of interest.  As I have said above, I had never made a piece of furniture.  It was my first Guild build (other than an end-grain cutting board) and I chose the vanilla version of the design.  Plus I used lumber that I have in good quantity.  I really want to build another chest of drawers and I have been eyeing a couple of different lumber combos.  Plus, I will probably do the build once I am in my dedicated workshop with my nice tools.  Stay tuned.  I hope my Version 2.0 turns out as nice as yours.

Edited by wnaziri
  • Like 1

A guild build got me in full force to woodworking as well...amazing how many skills are developed in one guild project...and how they serve you well for a lifetime. Great job. Don't forget to write (do not paint...never paint...under penalty of death) underneath.

I did write a nice note on the bottom of one of the drawers but did not tell my daughter that I did that.  She will discover it one day and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

Painting: I agree with you that painting nice wood should be illegal.  However, seeing the boxes that Matt Kenny is building for FWW has inspired me to at least try one project and use a "splash" of milk paint.  I hope that I get special dispensation from the woodworking gods for committing the sin of using milk paint, just once.  :D

• Like 1