Problem with moisture in compressed air

graffis

I've got a 20 gallon 1.5 HP compressor attached to a retractable 25' hose reel.  See pic below. Every time I use the compressed air, a lot of moisture comes out with the air--almost like a spray gun.  I have a drain valve on the bottom of the tank which I drain regularly by "blowing out" the water but the problem persists. I've been told that an oil/water filter needs to be at least 15-20 feet from the compressor in order to be effective.  Given the setup I have, that would be  difficult without moving the reel.  There's about 5 feet of hose between the compressor and the reel and I've got room on top of the compressor housing to install, within reason, some kind of filter system.  Given this scenario, any suggestions as to how I can eliminate the moisture/condensation problem would be greatly appreciated.

Compressor.thumb.jpg.166e5d000b1b7cba59b

Two concepts. Jerry has it right but the loops are not necessary. A single drop and rise by the tank usually is enough if each fixture has a drop tee just like it. Your hose usually just needs to have a drop tee system to plug into with a drop tee next to the tank. If you go one step further with a separator before your reel, you will see a good benefit as any oxidation will get trapped as your lines break down over time. 

I've had one of these (although without the fancy electronic panel) since a Binks model 18 was about the best spray gun you could get.  It still works after probably 30 years.   http://www.zoro.com/ingersoll-rand-compressed-air-dryer-11-cfm-5-hp-6-class-d18in/i/G1635672/?gclid=CjwKEAjw7O6vBRDpi7O-8OWSkwESJACNFsgxbGLn4SE1TCD6wO7rICwkxh60VY63yERed3aHiQNv2xoC2Snw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Those IR dryers are a classic... I think Charles Neil has the exact same one in his setup -- also going strong after a decade or two...

One thing, I'm not sure IR is the company it once was... I know some of the guys in our area had problems with recent IR kit. We had record %RH in NJ in '13 and a lot of folks rushed-out to upgrade their dryers... But some of that kit has had issues... So if yours dies, you may want to do some research....

BTW: $650 is a great price for that unit...

Depends on what you do with the air... If you use it to drive a trim nailer (and you add pneumatic oil daily), then no, why bother?

Note: Pancake compressors are really just for low-CFM tools like nailers -- not sanders, spray, etc... You'd drive the compressor to 100% duty cycle and kill it...

image.thumb.jpg.b16f70a5733c406417a3f9f6Depends on what you do with the air... If you use it to drive a trim nailer (and you add pneumatic oil daily), then no, why bother?

Note: Pancake compressors are really just for low-CFM tools like nailers -- not sanders, spray, etc... You'd drive the compressor to 100% duty cycle and kill it...

it's even smaller than a pancake - it's a one gallon dewalt.  I use it only for nail guns (23 pins, 18 finish, and 16 brads).

Edited by Pug

Another way I have seen it done in old Hot Rod magazines (for painting cars) is to have the pipe come out of the compressor and drop a few feet and then come back up in a U shape.  At the bottom of the U install a water separator so that it is in the lowest part of the run.  Have all the piping at a slight angle sloping toward it.  Have the separator at a distance from the floor (and wall) so that you can get a bucket to sit under it so that the separator is "in" the bucket.  When dry air is crucial (like spraying, as it works pretty good as is) put the bucket around the separator and fill with ice.  This will increase the efficiency of the separator by making any moisture condense at it.

==>and fill with ice

That works -- seen it online, but never in person... It's a DIY aftercooler/condenser... Folks also buy refrigerator coils to submerge in the ice to improve efficiency... In all honestly though, a purpose made unit isn't all that expensive... The ice method is a lot of work to save $200 on an aftercooler... But I suppose if you do it well and use a coil, you could save a grand on the dryer...

Hey everybody-

Thanks so much for all the useful input. It's fantastic and I really appreciate the posts.  I will try to use a couple of separators (in series) next to the compressor to see how that works since I don't think I have the room for the condensing pipes.  My primary use for compressed air, at least so far, is blowing sawdust off my projects, and occasionally for a small nail air gun.  Not ready for prime time spray painting.  But getting water spray on my sanded finish is a pain, thus the reason for my question.  Anyway, thanks again for everyone's help.  This is a great forum to be part of.  Just one last question:  Do water separators have to be drained regularly or are there models that are designed to avoid this issue?  Given the location of where they will need to be placed, it will be a pain to drain them regularly.

@hhh do you have a shop tour somewhere?  I couldn't find it with the google machine.  Tell ya what man, every time you throw us a little taste via a pic of your clamps or compressed air setup or whatever I need to get a paper towel to wipe my drool.  I'd love to see your whole setup.

Sorry to derail the OP.  

@hhh do you have a shop tour somewhere?  I couldn't find it with the google machine.  Tell ya what man, every time you throw us a little taste via a pic of your clamps or compressed air setup or whatever I need to get a paper towel to wipe my drool.  I'd love to see your whole setup.

Sorry to derail the OP.  

I believe I've seen some pics of hhh's shop nothing like a shop tour, but more of a here's a glimpse of dust collection coming off my bandsaw, and one of my table saw. Oh and here are clamps.

==>shop tour

If it happened to be underwater... :)

As mentioned, I take quick/dirty photos to clarify talking points... I don't take photos for photos sake -- unless it's fish, wrecks or cave formations... :)

courtesy, JH/ADM

... I’ll add it to the list... This is a tough crew: the list keeps growing... :)

• Like 1

Hey everybody-

Thanks so much for all the useful input. It's fantastic and I really appreciate the posts.  I will try to use a couple of separators (in series) next to the compressor to see how that works since I don't think I have the room for the condensing pipes.  My primary use for compressed air, at least so far, is blowing sawdust off my projects, and occasionally for a small nail air gun.  Not ready for prime time spray painting.  But getting water spray on my sanded finish is a pain, thus the reason for my question.  Anyway, thanks again for everyone's help.  This is a great forum to be part of.  Just one last question:  Do water separators have to be drained regularly or are there models that are designed to avoid this issue?  Given the location of where they will need to be placed, it will be a pain to drain them regularly.

The easiest thing to do is to mount the water separator on the wall where you can access it and then add a loop  hose from the compressor to the water separator and then back to your hose reel.

There is a lot of info in this post, but don't over-think it. Before you spend hundreds of dollars on air drying equipment you should probably invest in a larger compressor. I have sprayed lacquer, and oil based paints out of an HVLP gun run by my 60 gallon Ingersoll Rand compressor with a simple water separator and never been dissappointed with the results

• Like 1

So-o-o, not to put too fine a point on this topic, but I was thinking about another possible solution. Since I don't have the room for long lengths of condensing pipes above my compressor, how about if I coiled a long length of copper tubing around, say, a 5 gallon bucket from top to bottom to give the coil "shape" and then use that coil between my compressor and the hose reel?  If I did do this, should the coil be oriented vertically or horizontally or wont it matter?  My hose is 3/8" ID so I could use the same size copper tubing.  Would this work or do I still need to somehow incorporate a drain valve or is the entire concept too "Rube Goldberg"?  I'd hate to spend all that money on copper tubing and still have water spray on my projects.