Rough lumber, first time...

miranthis

Found a guy with the ash I need and some other good woods at really good prices, but he has it rough...he will plane it, but no SLR.....so the question is, How do I make that SLR myself.  I have:

Old table saw, well set up, but a Craftsman 10 in contractor saw from 1967.

6 inch craftsman jointer

Can I do this?

Jeff in KC

I'm with Coop on this one..  Need to understand what "SLR" is first..

To properly mill lumber, you really need a jointer, planer, and table saw.  There are other ways to accomplish it but, the jointer/planer/TS are considered "best practice".

If he's telling you that he'll surface 1 side flat, that's nice but, doesn't really accomplish what you need to work with the lumber.

• Like 1

I have a planer, but that works the long sides and I always have to use that to surface boards, so I did not mention it.  I usually get my wood at the local Hardwoods store and they almost always have their stock S2SSLR (surfaced 2 sides, straight line ripped one edge).....I just thought, given my trouble with the abbreviations when I started that all the experienced folks already knew all this.  :-)

Anyway, the vexing part for me is what to do with a long board that has not had a Straight Line Ripped.  If I understand your responses correctly I can do that with an mdf jig and my circular saw.  Will give it a try...thanks.

Jeff in KC

S2SSLR (surfaced 2 sides, straight line ripped one edge)

FYI...this is S3S

S2S = surfaced two sides = both faces sanded

S3S = surfaced three sides = both faces sanded and one edge straight line ripped

S4S = surfaced four sides = both faces sanded and both edges straight line ripped, in parallel

• Like 1

FYI...this is S3S

S2S = surfaced two sides = both faces sanded

S3S = surfaced three sides = both faces sanded and one edge straight line ripped

S4S = surfaced four sides = both faces sanded and both edges straight line ripped, in parallel

I understand, but at the wholesalers around here I never see S3S.  It Is either Rough, S2S, S2SSLR or S4S.  Usually they tell you the final thickness after surfacing, like "'4/4 Hard maple, SLR S2S 25/32"  '....that means they started with rough 4/4 and planed it to 25/32 and then SLR on the one side.

I am sure that each place has its own jargon as even the 3 places I go regularly the notation is slightly different.

Again, though, I have never had a problem with jointing and planeing when I had that one 'factory edge.  But with a 6 - 8 foot board with two unfinished edges i just wanted to know how to handle that.  I don't normally joint a board that long and since it was called a 'rip' i was thinking table saw.  But I understand now.

Jeff in KC  

Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense.  If you straight line rip an S2S board, you now have S3S.  That's pretty standard nomenclature across the industry.  So either they're confused about the terminology or you are, but there's no logic in calling S3S "S2SSLR"...because it's S3S.

• Like 1