Triton TDJ600 Duo Dowel Jointer

bushwacked

9 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

i have not seen one or heard of it. My be good as an alternative for alignment but i don't think dowels can ever come close to the strength of a domino. 

As far as I remember, dowels joins have been proved stronger than Domino's. There was a strength test conducted by FWW, I think it's this one: http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/video/joint-strength-test.aspx

Just now, Llama said:

I don't recall the specifics of the article either, so I can't say either way based on their testing.

In application though, I cannot see one advantage to using a dowel over a domino. The domino provides resistance to movement in more directions. 

That's only true when a single dowel is used, which is not a good practice under any circumstance.

1 minute ago, Daniel. said:

That's only true when a single dowel is used, which is not a good practice under any circumstance.

Still not accurate... The mortise for the domino is formed with a high quality tool, not a drill. Most dowel jigs on the market rely on the user to properly clamp the jig to the piece in a repeatable manner. Much more unreliable than the Domino. Not saying it's not possible, or that all dowel joints are bad, because that wouldn't be true... There is much less user error when using the Domino over any dowel jig on the market.

Not to get too technical, but I work in a lab that tests mechanical and wear properties of various products. I cringe every time I see a "lab test" in any magazine. Their methods are laughable. 

14 minutes ago, Llama said:

Still not accurate... The mortise for the domino is formed with a high quality tool, not a drill. Most dowel jigs on the market rely on the user to properly clamp the jig to the piece in a repeatable manner. Much more unreliable than the Domino. Not saying it's not possible, or that all dowel joints are bad, because that wouldn't be true... There is much less user error when using the Domino over any dowel jig on the market.

Not to get too technical, but I work in a lab that tests mechanical and wear properties of various products. I cringe every time I see a "lab test" in any magazine. Their methods are laughable. 

Hey, I agree that Domino is a more evolved joinery method. But that doesn't mean dowels are weaker. If used properly, as it has been for years before Dominoes, it's still a good and relatively easy to make wood joint.

Now if this thread is gonna become Festool vs Everything-else, then we'll never agree.

I'll just add that I'm not philosophically opposed to dowels for any reason.  I mean I just stuck up for biscuits the other day.  If used correctly for an appropriate application, they are a perfectly acceptable way to build.  Krenov used the hell out of dowels on his case construction.  Good enough for me.  He is GOD after all.

But I refuse to believe that dowels are stronger than Dominoes.  It just flies in the face of common sense.  Dominoes are more precisely fitted, are sized to be more structurally robust, and are made of steamed beech.  That is some seriously tough stuff.  If FWW says dowels are stronger...sorry...I just don't believe it.

8 minutes ago, Daniel. said:

Hey, I agree that Domino is a more evolved joinery method. But that doesn't mean dowels are weaker. If used properly, as it has been for years before Dominoes, it's still a good and relatively easy to make wood joint.

INow if this thread is gonna become Festool vs Everything-else, then we'll never agree.

Daniel, i mentioned the domino because Bushwacked mentioned it in his original post. Festool is not the end all be all but the domino is king for quick, strong handheld joinery machines. 

17 minutes ago, Daniel. said:

Now if this thread is gonna become Festool vs Everything-else, then we'll never agree.

My point was missed then... Strange because we agree, yet we seem to disagree... 

Point I am making, it is easier to make the correct joint with the domino than it is with most dowel jigs on the market. Improper technique on any joint will cause premature failure.

Look at the end grain to cross grain ratio with dowel. Pretty much 50/50. Where as a domino or MT joint has far more cross grain glue surface. I've used dowels so I have some experience there & I just can't believe they are as strong. I read that test too, but there has to be something not right about their methods to have gotten the result they did.

I don't think I care which is stronger. They both serve pretty different purposes. Anyone that can afford or justify a Domino wouldn't care at all about that Triton dowel thing. And those (like me) that can't justify the Domino - the Triton thing looks pretty sweet. 

That being said, I was just thinking earlier today that I got a side job coming up that would give me more than enough cash to get a Domino. Then I smacked myself in the head as there are like 800 things I need first. :(