Old Tongue And Groove Flooring ID

MHRestorations

Pulled up close to 700 square feet of this tongue and groove flooring. This is what it looks like after a couple of passes through the planer. I've got a couple ideas about what it might be, but because I'm relatively new at identifying wood species, I wanted to check and see what species it is for sure. Thoughts?

IMG]https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/04/1d5d32614653ea3c1410e97fc321abbc5cd5cd483.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't think it is fir.  Looks much more like a hardwood to me.   80 years ago they would have used whatever was available.  Elm, ash, oak, maple and chestnut were all relatively local.  Of those it looks the most like elm or ash to me.   From the pictures it does seem to have "feathering" that is characteristic of elm.  This means the grain lines tend to feather into each other.   The grain is pretty tight in your boards so it is not as obvious as some boards I have seen.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/elm,%20misc.htm

13 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

I don't know elm well but I bet against ash. The end grain does not show pores like I would expect. 

you would see pores in Elm too.  I think it is hard to tell from the photo.  The grain is pretty tight and it is just one small photo.  

Hickory would be another guess.  It can be really hard to tell from a picture of a single board.  I use hardness, weight and smell to help ID woods and obviously you can't get those from a photo :).  

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/hickory.htm

Would it help if I had a few boards planed down in a larger photo?  Also, Mike, care to make the short 5-6 hour trek to my neck of the woods and teach me how to use smell to ID boards? :) A big part of my work involves salvaging wood to use in the shop, but I feel lost when it comes to identifying wood species.  Anybody care to share some reliable educational resources for this topic?  Also, thank you to everyone for giving their input on this question so far.  Nice to know there is a place to go when I need some help.

12 minutes ago, MHRestorations said:

Would it help if I had a few boards planed down in a larger photo?  Also, Mike, care to make the short 5-6 hour trek to my neck of the woods and teach me how to use smell to ID boards? :) A big part of my work involves salvaging wood to use in the shop, but I feel lost when it comes to identifying wood species.  Anybody care to share some reliable educational resources for this topic?  Also, thank you to everyone for giving their input on this question so far.  Nice to know there is a place to go when I need some help.

Ha!  Most species have a distinct smell when they are cut.  Pine and Fir are easy, they smell like Pine!   the rest are really more about personal experience and associations.   I have a good sense of smell (one reason I will never have a dog or cat in the house) so smell is a reliable helper for me.  To others it might all smell like wood.   

18 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Just be glad it isn't red oak, that stuff smells like an unwashed ass.

Please tell me someone described that smell to you?

So pray tell, what are your plans for this 700 sq. ft. of this wood? That's a bunch of darn boxes?

14 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Please tell me someone described that smell to you?

So pray tell, what are your plans for this 700 sq. ft. of this wood? That's a bunch of darn boxes?

I'm with Cooper, hope, you didn't find that smell on your own.

We will end up selling some of the flooring as flooring for home remodels (single rooms, bathrooms, etc).  But, the majority of it will go into custom builds for clients.  As much fun as it would be to make a ton of boxes, I foresee most of it being used for items like coffee tables, pictures frames, or even barn doors.  Nothing too exciting, but it was hard to pass up all that material when the cost to acquire it was next to nothing!