My New Vise

Immortan D

No BC hardware.... Pine... Installed the parallel guide upside down... Looks like there is a workbench attached to that vise.... Sorry for sharing this.

What can I say...

I love it! 

2016-01-26-22.32.13.thumb.jpg.5b63a9439f

It is smooth! I can spin it with one finger and didn't need support under the parallel guide.

I used cork instead of suede. It works extremely well.

• Like 2

Aw youngster, big and shiny and sexy as hell, don't mean a thing!  I've got a crap workbench with a vise that racks holding a feather! I've got a homemade moxon vise that works ,and it looks just like me.....ugly and pretty beat up., I've got an out feed table made from 5 layers of OSB.     But in their own way they mostly do the work I ask of them..... What your shop ,benches and tool cabinets look like is unimportant..... The only thing that matters is what comes out of the shop!  I do a lot of  [ now this is politically incorrect] AA Engineering to put out a good finished product, and it may take me a little longer. But it gets done, with tools that some would reject outa hand.   It's a good vise you made.  The hell, with what some elite wood butchers think! If it does what you need, then strut your feathers, and stick out that chest!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RichardA said:

Aw youngster, big and shiny and sexy as hell, don't mean a thing!  I've got a crap workbench with a vise that racks holding a feather! I've got a homemade moxon vise that works ,and it looks just like me.....ugly and pretty beat up., I've got an out feed table made from 5 layers of OSB.     But in their own way they mostly do the work I ask of them..... What your shop ,benches and tool cabinets look like is unimportant..... The only thing that matters is what comes out of the shop!  I do a lot of  [ now this is politically incorrect] AA Engineering to put out a good finished product, and it may take me a little longer. But it gets done, with tools that some would reject outa hand.   It's a good vise you made.  The hell, with what some elite wood butchers think! If it does what you need, then strut your feathers, and stick out that chest!

Thanks Richard! I agree with you on everything you just said!

4 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looks good to me, Daniel! Did you buy the screw / hardware as a kit, or piece it together yourself?

Thanks Ross!

I have two of them screws. My brother in law sourced them for me for a bench top Moxon vise I made 3 years ago, but I had to take it apart because it was huge and taking up so much storage space.

They came as a kit consisting of screw, nut and the front plate, which performs as an external cardan.

Here's a pic I took when I was testing the screw capabilities to hold a leg vise. You can see the ACME nut  there:

acme.jpeg.9fb078afe9870a401dc70ffb77897b

4 hours ago, Immortan D said:

Now that I know it works fine, I may even consider re installing it straight...

Nice vise Daniel.  I was to slow on the draw... Before you fixed the latch I was going say you could also drill a dog hole right in the top of the chop.  But I got interrupted and you fixed it while I was gone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chet K. said:

Nice vise Daniel.  I was to slow on the draw... Before you fixed the latch I was going say you could also drill a dog hole right in the top of the chop.  But I got interrupted and you fixed it while I was gone.

Thanks Chet!

As a matter of fact my plan included drilling a dog hole there, that's the reason I left the top of the chop flat, but then came the latch idea and I couldn't resist it LOL

I love all these cool things that you make Daniel. Really awesome. You muse be a real smart guy and you are an inspiration to many on here im sure. A lot pf guys probably drool over all the roubos on here but cant afford the BC hardware and there you are coming up with alternatives. Well done buddy!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I love all these cool things that you make Daniel. Really awesome. You muse be a real smart guy and you are an inspiration to many on here im sure. A lot pf guys probably drool over all the roubos on here but cant afford the BC hardware and there you are coming up with alternatives. Well done buddy!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks Shane!