Pest invasion!

Merlau

i have a heated shop that was built pretty tight in 2007, i had no trouble with mice, till the last two years and this year its been worse. i had several cargo blankets stored on a shelf and under a cart.. which have become the building blocks for the mice to make there living quarters.. i have put out ramik mice and rat feeders and also some decon packs about 6 weeks ago, i never had trouble in the past but i do now.. i had cleaned out one drawer that had chewings from the blankets and thought i was going to get control but went out today to look for some wire and found they had rebuilt and also got some fiberglass from the walls.. which are all covered with OSB.. any ideas of why and how to gain control.. i have no food source in the shop for them so its just the warmth i quess and the lack of me being in there this summer and fall..

I have been in this house for the last 11 years and never had mice, until this year. We found mice crap in the kitchen and front entrance. I bought some wood traps and put some peanut butter as bait. I caught 5 mice in 3 nights and it seems to be taken care of. I would try that before spending a bunch of money on an exterminator. If it doesn't work then call one. The wood traps are really cheap and work well.

d9b7c6d35fe75a3ef3f6ef9f6634aceb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm with Shaneymack - I am a huge fan of the basic snap trap.  I don't like poison because we have pets, and you also don't know where the mouse will crawl off to before dying.  My favorite bait is a single sunflower seed (from our supply of birdfeed) twisted/jammed into the trigger lever with just a small amount of peanut butter smeared on it.  Never seems to fail.

We had mice years ago because, like you, they were seeking warmth when it got cold out.  When I closed up all their possible entry points (most notably a terrible door at the bottom of the steps to the basement from outside), it seemed to become less of a problem.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, freedhardwoods said:

I've had mice a few different times in the past. I would throw 5 or 6 of these along the walls and within a few days there was no more signs of them.

500MOUSE POISON.jpg

well i have one large covered bait with ramik and 4 smaller baits from tomcat.. will have to make me a bucket trap to i quess..  thanks for the advice.

We have used "The better mouse trap" with good success.  They only last about a year before they are too sensitive to set again.  We bait them with peanut butter.

Poison works.  It is a blood thinner and takes a few feedings.  There is also one that works in one dose, Pirhanna or Barracuda or some such name.  The problem with poison is that if the mouse hides away and dies somewhere, you will smell it for weeks, and it is not nice.

I've had good luck with sticky traps.  Both baited and not.  My house isn't sealed up very well and they have been trying to move in as the cold sets in.  Had mice get into a bus tray that had dry foods in it, I elevated it and put a ramp up to it so that it was the only way to get in.  Put a few sticky traps around the base of the ramp and caught the little buggers.  Also put a couple along the walls in my pantry as a just in case measure.  Couldn't figure out why the dog kept going in the pantry one afternoon and sure enough one snuck in after a couple weeks with no signs of mice and he was stuck in one of my traps. 

well i went and got some victors and will set them out today, hopefully i can see the proof in the pudding soon:)  freed hardwoods, i knew your bucket was just baits, i was referring to the wire pop can bucket trap

Edited by Merlau
f