Lefties

James W Prichard

I have a 5 and 9 year old. They are helping with the workbench building and one of their first projects will be a japanese tool box. My son is a lefty and don't want him to get discouraged using tools that were built for righties. Is there a good resource or article already out there that can give me a good idea of what I need to search for? 

I've been a lefty all my life ! Never needed any special tools or instruction. What sort of issues do you have ? Several times my dad showed my lefty mom how to do something and she showed me. Screwdrivers, hammers ,chisels, saws, planes etc are all just the same for lefty or righty. He may need to stand on the other side or basically just reverse what a righty is doing.

If you,come up with any specific question send me a PM and I will be glad to help.

• Like 2

I'm a lefty and grew up that way and didn't notice any real disadvantage often. I do use righty scissors and eventually forced myself to use a computer mouse with the right hand. Sometimes it feels a little weird or off using some tools like a circular saw, tablesaw etc but after so many years you just make the adjustment naturally. There is a reason why left handed people die 7 years earlier than righties.....

To quote Dave Barry, "lefties die earlier, but we aren't bitter."

I have not had an issue with hand tools other than my marking gauge. My Tite-Mark tip will losen if I don't pay attention to how I draw it across the board, but that's about it. Power tools are a different story, especially circular saws. The bench might be an issue, I have worked on right-hand oriented benches and it never feels quite right.

The world forces lefties to adjust, so we end up more capable than righties

We're definitely more capable, smarter, funnier, better looking, fresher breath, well hung.  Better at sports, better drivers, better musicians, better people.  We're just better.  But we get covered in filth when using a circular saw.  So I bought a TS55.  I'm somewhat ambidextrous so I do some things righty and some things lefty, but neither hand is limited by any tool that I can think of.  Scissors are not difficult to use in my right hand so that's what I do.  If you can't use your right hand to pull down on a drill press then you're just flat uncoordinated.  My miter saw is a Kapex and the trigger is dead center so that's not an issue.  I can't think of any hand tools that are righty or lefty only except rasps, and Auriou solves that problem by offering both.

The only time lefties face a real challenge is with turning.  But the conventional wisdom is that the best turners can use either hand.

• Like 2

I'm a leftie and the only "left handed" tool I own is my plow plane. If you need or want videos to show him, Shannon Rogers over at The Hand Tool School and Renaissance woodworker is left handed too.

Oh yeah, thanks Eric I forgot my rasps are left handed too.

• Like 1

We're definitely more capable, smarter, funnier, better looking, fresher breath, well hung.  Better at sports, better drivers, better musicians, better people.  We're just better.  But we get covered in filth when using a circular saw.  So I bought a TS55.

Truer words have rarely been spoken...or uh written...or you know typed in a forum. Anyway.    I'm with the rest...left-handed but do a lot of things right-handed...  I actually use my circular saw right-handed and got a blade-left Bosch one for better visibility..so despite doing it with my right hand, I still get wrong-hand treatment in getting covered with dust. =(

• 1 month later...

Japanese chef knives are beveled on one side and are made for eighties unless you special order. I really love my lefty corkscrew. Haven't seen any lefty power tools except my Bosch circular saw

Do worm drive saws count as they are blade left instead of blade right. Of course I have a right handed coworker who like left bladed saws to better see the blade while cutting.

I didn't realize that rasps were lefty/righty.  Now I know why I never liked using them!

I am at a loss to figure out how a tool that is straight is left or right handed.

It might prefer a cutting motion that is to the left or right but that doesn't seem like it would be a huge deal with handedness.

Or just get hand stitched and it is with out handedness at all.

Wrong.

Ok so how are they handed.  The only asymmetry I can think of is in the angle of the rows of teeth, as the point to hand stitching was to break up the symmetry why are they still handed.

Or is actually explaining what is wrong with my assumptions to difficult, and simple and uninformative one word answers are better?

The teeth are not pointing down the length of the rasp, but instead at an angle. This is perhaps most noticeable on hand-stitched rasps (the current Nicholson machine cut do not tend to have a preference).  The benefit is that you end up with fewer gouges from individual teeth since you are now using almost a skewing motion.  In my case I am right handed and grip the tip with my left hand , when I hold the tool perpendicular to the work, and push straight forward i am basically taking a "skew cut".

From here: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/auriou9x10cabinetrasp.aspx

Angle
Each rasp is stitched with the teeth at an angle to the handle so that it cuts comfortably in your natural cutting motion. As a result, each rasp is available in a right-hand and a left-hand version. Choose your rasp angle based on which hand you will use it in most.(i.e. Right-handed people would use a right-hand rasp.)

• Like 2

The teeth are not pointing down the length of the rasp, but instead at an angle. This is perhaps most noticeable on hand-stitched rasps (the current Nicholson machine cut do not tend to have a preference).  The benefit is that you end up with fewer gouges from individual teeth since you are now using almost a skewing motion.  In my case I am right handed and grip the tip with my left hand , when I hold the tool perpendicular to the work, and push straight forward i am basically taking a "skew cut".

From here: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/auriou9x10cabinetrasp.aspx

Angle

Each rasp is stitched with the teeth at an angle to the handle so that it cuts comfortably in your natural cutting motion. As a result, each rasp is available in a right-hand and a left-hand version. Choose your rasp angle based on which hand you will use it in most.(i.e. Right-handed people would use a right-hand rasp.)

Ah that makes sense.  I had not seen hand stitched rasps and machine ones I have seen haven't had that asymmetry, so they wouldn't be handed while hand stitched ones would be.  I have not seen any effect that handedness would make in the files and ferriers rasps I am more familiar with. 

I still am not as convinced that it makes as big a deal for handedness instead of where and what you are working on. Assuming a motion at an angle I don't fine forward and to the right to be much easier than forward and to the left.

Ok so how are they handed.  The only asymmetry I can think of is in the angle of the rows of teeth, as the point to hand stitching was to break up the symmetry why are they still handed.

Or is actually explaining what is wrong with my assumptions to difficult, and simple and uninformative one word answers are better?

You don't need a lesson in rasp asymmetry, you need to take a chill pill.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

New forum member here, and a lefty. As Barron mentioned, I too have tried using benches made for righties and it never felt quite right. So this past winter when I built a Roubo, I set it up for a lefty. Leg vise on the right end and tail vise on the left. Feels much more "natural".

post-17776-0-19590000-1430144087_thumb.j

Well if you are left handed for heaven sake go to the store and ask for left handed screwdrivers, left handed hammer and also see if there is some tartan paint and finally a long wait, love those! :-)

Apart from moulding planes, plows, rabbet planes most of should be ok I think. Shannon Rogers is a leftie (I think) http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/blog/he might have some intersting tips?