Bessey uniclamp sale.

bushwacked

Look at the ad you've posted. For light duty only, 550 pounds of clamping force (uniklamp) vs 1500 pounds (k-body revo)

Yeah, I love my parallels. My question is: how often do I need more than 500 lbs of force?

I'm with shaffer light duty is the only difference? When do you really need 1500 pounds?

K body= great. K body jr = smaller but still great . Uniclamps get used when nothing else is available. I only have 2 of them and will not buy any more. I will use my Pony lightweight bar clamps before I grab the Uniclamps.

Just curious why? Quality bad? Not enough pressure? Not a heavy duty feel?

I think for 12" and smaller, light duty clamps are probably fine 99% of the time.  But usually I'm using f-styles for clamping small stuff, unless I'm gluing up small panels and I want the clamps to sit flat.  Anything bigger than 12" I want real clamps and more pressure.

When do you need 1500 pounds?  Try laminating a slab for a Roubo workbench with those light duty clamps.  Nope.

Clamps suck to buy...they're not sexy or exciting.  But it still pays to buy good ones and it's convenient to have a range of sizes and styles.  Hold your nose and plunk down the cash.

• Like 1

I think for 12" and smaller, light duty clamps are probably fine 99% of the time.  But usually I'm using f-styles for clamping small stuff, unless I'm gluing up small panels and I want the clamps to sit flat.  Anything bigger than 12" I want real clamps and more pressure.

When do you need 1500 pounds?  Try laminating a slab for a Roubo workbench with those light duty clamps.  Nope.

Clamps suck to buy...they're not sexy or exciting.  But it still pays to buy good ones and it's convenient to have a range of sizes and styles.  Hold your nose and plunk down the cash.

Exactly.  If I need a light duty clamp, I will use an F style or even the trigger style irwin clamps.  They are great for light duty, one handed operations.  Beyond that I move up to the big boys.  

I'm the complete opposite of Steve.  I have a whole wall of uniklamps and I always go to them first.  When you are used to them dealing with a full K clamp is like picking up a clamp with a brick attached to it.  But then I deal mainly with jewelry boxes as opposed to full sized furniture.  I prefer them to F style because you don't have the clamping part spinning against the workpiece which tends to make things move.  I did have to shim a lot of the later ones that I bought to get the fixed jaw actually perpendicular to the bar which was disappointing.  I wish the bar was just a little bit beefier but they are good enough 90% of the time.

My physics is rusty for radial conversion. How much force is a normal human capable of spinning with the wrist? Is it upward of 500 lbs? Is this a lbs per square inch vs total surface area conversion? I know there is a benefit from the inclined plane. (screw)

Speaking of Roubo Work Bench. Will these Bessey's work? I've heard to only glue up 2-3 boards at a time.

I'm using Southern Yellow Pine. 

BESSEY-KRJR-36   36 In Junior Parallel Jaw Clamp

These are the one's below their top of the line model. I've heard 900-1000 on the pressure. I want to buy the right clamp the first time.

But I don't want to over buy. Any one have any input on this? Thanks

• Like 1

Speaking of Roubo Work Bench. Will these Bessey's work? I've heard to only glue up 2-3 boards at a time.

I'm using Southern Yellow Pine. 

BESSEY-KRJR-36   36 In Junior Parallel Jaw Clamp

These are the one's below their top of the line model. I've heard 900-1000 on the pressure. I want to buy the right clamp the first time.

But I don't want to over buy. Any one have any input on this? Thanks

SYP does not need near the pressure of say for example 3" thick hard maple. It does not matter how many you are putting together what matter is suface area. With thick hard maple and as many clamps as you can fit will barely provide enough pressure most likely not enough even with the bigger clamps. 

• 1 year later...