Forum Performance Survey

I have received a few reports of the forum being very slow. I also hear there are lots of database erros. But here's the problem, I am not seeing them on my system. Some days the forum is a little slower than other days, but I never wait more than a second or two between page/post changes. So I need to determine just how widespread this issue is and if there is even anything I can do about it.

And just an FYI, I usually don't like to do these types of performance survey posts because just about everyone says a site is slow when asked, :). So when I say slow, I mean REALLY slow. Not just a little sluggish. Thanks folks.

Marc,

If anything, the software update made what was good better. Sometimes, the forum, and your main site for that matter, load a little slow, but I'm not talking click, get up, have a cup of coffee before returning slow. Just a little slow. Today it seems to be nice and snappy.

Thanks!

Sean

Yeah forum is running really slow this morning compared to the past, The main site I think the problem is the sheer amount of content on just the initial page its like trying to load 4-5 websites all at the same time.

I decided to run a bandwidth speed test at http://www.bandwidthplace.com/ just to make sure it wasn't just my internet connect being slow this is the results so I dont think its just my connection making it slow.

Download Speed: 8081 kbps (1010.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 495 kbps (61.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 7:19:38 AM

Hi,

I have found it slow in the past, but it's been better the last day or two.

What i've experienced is the forum itself being slow to load and then also slow when going into different areas.

As I said, seems better though

For what it's worth I've got up to 50mb/s download and 2mb/s upload. Now if i only ever got that download speed i'd be in heaven. Usually averaging around 25mb/s.

I've also used the iphone IBP app a lot and have not had any issues, if that's of any interest. Love the app, btw.. makes browsing in bed easy peasy :)

That being said.. when i posted the reply I just created it took about twenty seconds :(

Hi,

I have found it slow in the past, but it's been better the last day or two.

What i've experienced is the forum itself being slow to load and then also slow when going into different areas.

As I said, seems better though

For what it's worth I've got up to 50mb/s download and 2mb/s upload. Now if i only ever got that download speed i'd be in heaven. Usually averaging around 25mb/s.

I've also used the iphone IBP app a lot and have not had any issues, if that's of any interest. Love the app, btw.. makes browsing in bed easy peasy :)

Most of the time it is pretty quick, but on occasion, it sits and spins for quite some time and I find myself going to other tabs and coming back later. I had just tried to view a pic someone had posted and after about a minute, I ended up clicking the back button and moving on.

I find that sometimes the site is a little slower that other times. Since I type at the "Let's see if I can find where the k is" spee , this no problem. The forums load at a respectable rate as far as I am concerned. Most computer problems are in the users computer. If you have a "Super-duper Whizbang 4 Gazillion Gig" unit the site may seem slower. As hectic as things are today, I enjoy not being in a hurry.

I've seen some issues over the last week or so, but only at times that i would consider high load periods. With forum software it's almost never the software that's slow, it's almost always the database. My guess would be that the forum is getting pounded by bad search web crawlers. Usually a crawler from a reputable search engine, won't request more than one url per domain per second. However, I have seen some crawlers out of mainland China that crawl as fast as they can, and bring forum databases to their knees.