My shop overhaul

Cliff

Cliff, I want to issue a change order. Re-coup your window and build a drawer for the hanging tools. Unless your view is of a 90 yo, 400 lb. lady that likes to sun bathe, then natural light may not be as important.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drzaius said:

Those shiny red things sure are pretty.

Those things totally upgraded my game. I don't want to do woodworking in a world without them. 

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Cliff, I want to issue a change order. Re-coup your window and build a drawer for the hanging tools. Unless your view is of a 90 yo, 400 lb. lady that likes to sun bathe, then natural light may not be as important.

Well it's complicated man. i get what you are saying, but I closed it off for a couple of reasons - I wanted the space, because my bench is right there (for the moment) and I don't want anyone walking by the window, seeing the tools and helping themselves. At the moment I have relatively poor light, because I only have two banks of lights, but I got 4 more ready to go in once I get a ceiling put in. I tend to do a majority of stuff out in the driveway anyway, though that will end once I get an a/c during the hot part of the years. I mean, I think what it comes down to is I just don't care about natural light. So let me ask you this? Why do you like it so much?

8 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Those things totally upgraded my game. I don't want to do woodworking in a world without them. 

Well it's complicated man. i get what you are saying, but I closed it off for a couple of reasons - I wanted the space, because my bench is right there (for the moment) and I don't want anyone walking by the window, seeing the tools and helping themselves. At the moment I have relatively poor light, because I only have two banks of lights, but I got 4 more ready to go in once I get a ceiling put in. I tend to do a majority of stuff out in the driveway anyway, though that will end once I get an a/c during the hot part of the years. I mean, I think what it comes down to is I just don't care about natural light. So let me ask you this? Why do you like it so much?

The natural light is just so much better to work by.  I have killer lighting in my shop and would trade them for windows any day of the week.

Now, if you have issues with idiots in your neighborhood, then it makes sense to do what you did.

2 minutes ago, TIODS said:

The natural light is just so much better to work by.  I have killer lighting in my shop and would trade them for windows any day of the week.

Now, if you have issues with idiots in your neighborhood, then it makes sense to do what you did.

I could put the a/c in that window, then the other side I can leave open for natural light. That window on the side where my fenced in yard is. I don't live in a bad neighborhood either, it's just that anyone walking by.. I mean, at 18, I'd have probably been that guy. And garages aren't exactly secure when you think about it. 

1 minute ago, Cliff said:

I could put the a/c in that window, then the other side I can leave open for natural light. That window on the side where my fenced in yard is. I don't live in a bad neighborhood either, it's just that anyone walking by.. I mean, at 18, I'd have probably been that guy. And garages aren't exactly secure when you think about it. 

Not a bad idea to keep the honest honest..

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cliff said:

If it weren't for:

1) the heat 2) for the hard driveway 3) for the darn neighbors that see me working and assume I'd rather be talking to them 4) for the same neighbors that know my beer is colder than there's 5) for the fact that most of my tools are in my shop, I'd rather be working in the driveway where the light is better! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

If it weren't for:

1) the heat 2) for the hard driveway 3) for the darn neighbors that see me working and assume I'd rather be talking to them 4) for the same neighbors that know my beer is colder than there's 5) for the fact that most of my tools are in my shop, I'd rather be working in the driveway where the light is better! 

I pretty much be my grumpy looking self and so far my neighbors have never really tried to engage me. Everyone understands that my wife is my PR department. 

I like natural light, but in a shop I value the wall space too. I do have 1 west facing window, which I'm glad is there, but wouldn't want any more.

I would like to replace one of the panels of my north facing OH door with one that has windows in it.

• 4 months later...

Yeah 14 sheets of osb. Have to put up 6 new joists and cut one joist down and move it up some so that it will be relatively level. It's going to look jacked no matter what since my garage is 100 years old and nothing is square, but at least I will be able to heat it!

Hopefully tomorrow we'll whip out the drywall lift and that will make short work of the process. 

12 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Yeah 14 sheets of osb. Have to put up 6 new joists and cut one joist down and move it up some so that it will be relatively level. It's going to look jacked no matter what since my garage is 100 years old and nothing is square, but at least I will be able to heat it!

Hopefully tomorrow we'll whip out the drywall lift and that will make short work of the process. 

Is the Osb going over the drywall or is that only for the cieling?