My shop overhaul

Cliff

14 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I remember you mentioning how messed up the slab was but damn !  Can't you just unscrew a section of floor to pull the wire ?

23 minutes ago, mat60 said:

What a difference that made. As far as the wire was you thinking about taking a bit of wall board off and fishing something to the center of the shop area. 

Yeah I am thinking about just bringing up 2 of the floor panels to run the wire. It's tongue and groove though so if it's too tight might be pretty annoying. I'm also considering moving the saw. There is no easy way to run ductwork to the middle either so maybe I need to figure something out. 

• Like 1

I was thinking for a little bit that the floor was broken up rock that was laid as a floor. That slab looks terrible. Also is that building safe? It doesn't like sway in the wind does it? :D

8 hours ago, Cliff said:

There is no easy way to run ductwork to the middle either so maybe I need to figure something out

If you do a drop from the ceiling down to the saw run an "extension" cord with the duct work. Either that or put the saw extension wing toward the wall. I've had mine that way for years now and have never needed to move it out. IIRC you have a track saw for sheets goods?

That floor looks great. If you get the SawStop this month, there's a promo on the PCS. Free OH dust collection or mobile base. If you go for the mobile base, you might consider spending the extra bucks on upgrading to the ICS mobile base. It's got all 4 casters that swivel, which make it extra maneuverable.

12 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I was thinking for a little bit that the floor was broken up rock that was laid as a floor. That slab looks terrible. Also is that building safe? It doesn't like sway in the wind does it? :D

If you do a drop from the ceiling down to the saw run an "extension" cord with the duct work. Either that or put the saw extension wing toward the wall. I've had mine that way for years now and have never needed to move it out. IIRC you have a track saw for sheets goods?

It's mostly safe. I think the reason it hasn't fallen down is that it's made from old growth pine. The 2x4's are true 2" x 4". It's like hammering or screwing into concrete. 

The main issue with ceiling drops is that I have the automatic garage door opener that I will occasionally need to open, so I can't do anything permanent. But I'm thinking if I just move the saw several to the side, I can miss the door, then maybe cluster the spindle sander, drill press and router table in the center where the table saw used to be. Then I can put the planer, jointer and bandsaw (all tools with 4" ports) against the walls where I can run ducts to. Keep the shop vac in the center with the tools that use it. It might work. 

11 hours ago, wdwerker said:

If you unscrew 2 adjacent sheets along the T&G edge and lift at the seam somehow it should be possible to get them out with minimal damage.

That's a great idea. I didn't think of that.

10 hours ago, drzaius said:

That floor looks great. If you get the SawStop this month, there's a promo on the PCS. Free OH dust collection or mobile base. If you go for the mobile base, you might consider spending the extra bucks on upgrading to the ICS mobile base. It's got all 4 casters that swivel, which make it extra maneuverable.

I'm wondering.. if they will trade up for the ICS base and just make me pay the difference between that and the pcs base? Ideally I'd love to get the really good overarm floating dust collection thing too, but that's quite a bit more - and I still need to get an 8" dado stack and it looks like the brake is different for dados too, so that hurts. I think the overall saw price plus tax will come to about $3100, and I'll probably have around $3500. I'm hoping they will be willing to cut me a deal if I pay in cash too. 

2 hours ago, Cliff said:

I'm wondering.. if they will trade up for the ICS base and just make me pay the difference between that and the pcs base? Ideally I'd love to get the really good overarm floating dust collection thing too, but that's quite a bit more - and I still need to get an 8" dado stack and it looks like the brake is different for dados too, so that hurts. I think the overall saw price plus tax will come to about $3100, and I'll probably have around $3500. I'm hoping they will be willing to cut me a deal if I pay in cash too. 

I got mine at Lee Valley & they gave me credit for the PCS base & I just paid the difference for the ICS base. I didn't need the overarm dust collection thing because I just dropped a short 2" flex from the duct I had running overhead above the saw. I'm sure I have lots better flow doing this way too.

15 hours ago, drzaius said:

I got mine at Lee Valley & they gave me credit for the PCS base & I just paid the difference for the ICS base. I didn't need the overarm dust collection thing because I just dropped a short 2" flex from the duct I had running overhead above the saw. I'm sure I have lots better flow doing this way too.

That's good news. The overarm thing isn't an immediate need. I do have a boom arm that runs to the shop vac if I need to. I"m not even sure I need the extra mobility from the ICS base but if I can get it basically $200 off then that is pretty good to me. 

3 hours ago, Cliff said:

...I"m not even sure I need the extra mobility from the ICS base but if I can get it basically $200 off then that is pretty good to me. 

I was the same way when I bought mine and although I have yet to need it if I ever do need to move the saw being able to pull the saw straight out made it a worth it for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

I tried the PCS to ICS base swap but couldn't get someone to help me out, so I just took the overarm DC attachment instead.

I asked SawStop about the swap before I bought & they said it was up to the dealer. Lee Valley said no problem. I did have to wait a week or 2 for the ICS base though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, drzaius said:

I asked SawStop about the swap before I bought & they said it was up to the dealer. Lee Valley said no problem. I did have to wait a week or 2 for the ICS base though.

Nice. My options were amazon and rockler...even if rockler had said yes I probably would have still done amazon...rockler was more $$$ and wouldn't ship it to my house even though they were charging for shipping to the store :(

8 hours ago, mat60 said:

I'm beginning to think shop improvements could make for a better work mood. 

It was frustrating to go out there with so many things wrong. If I wasn't so stubborn I'd have probably quit long ago. But every year it's gotten just a little more easy or comfortable, which makes it easier for me to go out there - even if it's just for 20 mins after work. I got a few more upgrades in mind, then it's all organization builds I think. 

• Like 2