My shop overhaul

Cliff

54 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Haha mike,  you win. 

Cliff, What mike forgot to warn us about with his building a castle thread is that Osb is a giant B to paint. 

Yes OSB sucks paint faster than Budweiser's at a bachelor party. I used a good primer and paint with primer in it and it still sucked. 

2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Is the Osb going over the drywall or is that only for the cieling?

Only on the ceiling. 

1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

Haha mike,  you win. 

Cliff, What mike forgot to warn us about with his building a castle thread is that Osb is a giant B to paint. 

I was thinking of painting it too. I don't look forward to the task.

1 hour ago, estesbubba said:

Yes OSB sucks paint faster than Budweiser's at a bachelor party. I used a good primer and paint with primer in it and it still sucked. 

I ended up having to do two full strength primer coats. I was astonished how much the Osb just absorbed it like it wasn't there. 

@Cliff I would paint it white.  Especially since you hate natural light.  Dark Osb doesn't really reflect crap.  It will make the shop really dark. 

• Like 1

I guess OSB varies. My shop is lined with it, & I just sprayed 1 coat of latex primer followed by 1 coat of latex white semigloss. I rented an airless sprayer from Home Depot. Done in 1 evening. Of course you can still see the chip pattern, but the are no thin spots or areas where the paint got sucked into the surface.

The stuff I used seemed to have a coating on 1 side that makes it resistant to the weather for XX number of days before being closed in.

Newer OSB is coming pre-coated due to concerns with moisture in the field. Old or cheap stuff will still have a lot of raw surface. Mutiple coats of primer and primer in paint are both farce. Primer does not cover well as binders etc are taking up some of the mix. All they do is provide good adhesion and a barrier coat. All paint has some of those binders. Prime, then get right to coverage coats. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Since the weather turned nice, I've finally gotten back to this. 

After we put up 6 more studs on the ceiling, and moving one down, I was finally able to put up panels. It was insane because the entire garage is not only sunk on the left side, it's sunk more on the back than the front, which means the entire frame is twisted. So measuring a panel at 91" - may be 92" 4' further down the stud. Plus, the level of the studs (even with the new ones they had to put in for the electric garage door) are higher than the bottom of the roof if that makes sense. So after putting up all the panels, there was a 12-18" area around the entire ceiling where I'll have to put up pieces at a 45 degree angle. 

20170414_155230.thumb.jpg.3a7992b1cffb293bba548f897a96ab81.jpg

20170423_180156.thumb.jpg.ec51c6356e07ba6df69a50dce914a099.jpg

Then: Lights! A total of six at the moment. But I may do up some LED's at some point. 

20170506_115229.thumb.jpg.c0d13fda88bb6d5e663bc54371ff8912.jpg

Also, built a small cabinet to go under the right side of my table saw that has five drawers. Ordered 5 sheets of Kaizen Foam (pro-tip, order from FastCap and spend $100, they'll ship for free. Rockler, woodcraft charge $10 per foam to ship)

Started trying to organize tools a bit better.

20170321_205550.thumb.jpg.d6994ff90ed7021dd6530225738dd12e.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Llama said:

Never seen OSB on a ceiling before. Pro tip: Paint them white for better lighting. 

I did OSB on the ceiling, painted white of course. Makes it all kinds of easy when hanging lights, power, ducts etc.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Looking good Cliff. Will you be painting the ceiling and, the panels in the garage door(s), were they made for tha or did you cut down 4x8 sheets? 

21 hours ago, Llama said:

Never seen OSB on a ceiling before. Pro tip: Paint them white for better lighting. 

I do want to paint them white, but I also really want to do some projects so I don't know how fast I will get to them. 

Cooper- Garage door, the panels were bought from either menards or lowes. They were already cut, but I had to remove about 6 inches off the width of each one to get them to fit. If I remember right one pack did half the garage door and was $50. I actually had them in before winter hit but everything was so messed up out there I never made it out to see if the door panels made a difference.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2015 at 7:09 PM, Cliff said:

Hmm looks like it's 1.95mb per thread now on photos? Not just on each post? This is not good. 

Threadjack - I've been using (free) PixResizer for years.

Man what a journey.  This thread is great.  As mentioned, there is no destination, just satisfying stops along the way. 

+1 on a white ceiling during my next re-org.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cliff said:

Cooper- Garage door, the panels were bought from either menards or lowes. They were already cut, but I had to remove about 6 inches off the width of each one to get them to fit. If I remember right one pack did half the garage door and was $50. I actually had them in before winter hit but everything was so messed up out there I never made it out to see if the door panels made a difference.

I really need to do this...it's the last uninsulated part of my shop.  An uninsulated aluminum garage door is like having a giant one of these...without the glare...

sun-tan-reflector.jpg

I use photobucket to host all my images.  No limit on threads if you need to photo bomb.

• Like 1

Oh that was right after the forum update and I thought there was a limit put in cause it errored it. Turned out I had forgotten to resize a pic and it was like 6mb. I use photoshop to resize usually.

13 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Threadjack - I've been using (free) PixResizer for years.

Man what a journey.  This thread is great.  As mentioned, there is no destination, just satisfying stops along the way. 

+1 on a white ceiling during my next re-org.

The great thing is that if all goes according to plan - in about five years I'll get everything perfected and then tear down the garage and build a 3 car garage or the equivalent pole barn type thing. I might have to start a new thread for that. 

• 10 months later...

Welcome to season 3 of my shop overhaul. In previous seasons we put up walls and insulated, then put up ceiling with insulation, but this was the year that the floor had to be done. I knew it had to be soon because I intend to go buy a Sawstop on April 15ish. I'd rather the floor was ready for that rather than trying to move a cabinet saw on my busted ass floor.

So for the longest time I was pretty sure I was going to pour a new floor. I estimated the costs to be a minimum of $3000, concrete here is about $125/yard. Demo costs would have been atrocious of course, or back breaking if I did it myself.

Option 2 was a wooden floor. I was estimated around $1000 to do it. My shop is 18.5' x 17.5' of usable space. Then I saw Shaneymack do the same thing and he brought up some great things I didn't think of. Like instead of using treated 2x4's, using Timberstrand. Of course the materials he used were not really available here. But I ordered what I could through Menards. 

I ended up with

-44 10' LSL (basically compressed osb 2x4's that are dead straight) Couldn't really get 20', had no way to transport
-13 1" extruded closed cell foam sheets
-750 sqft of 6 mil (9 mil? 6? I don't remember. The right kind) plastic sheeting. 
-13 sheets of 4x8 tongue & groove 3/4" osb
-2 cans of Rust-o-leum epoxy
-Like 15 or so pressure treated 2x4s for blocking and shimming

Just the foam and osb

001.thumb.jpg.b7c8041cdebbd8eb493b6b1709fcc6ad.jpg

First step was to raise the door because it was pretty low. We raised it 4.5 inches using 3 2x6's Went pretty smoothly. 

00001.thumb.jpg.b1a12bb929cfcc6cb57f1716298925a9.jpg

Here are some action shots of the garage floor. There was a 5 inch gap from the highest to lowest part. 

01.thumb.jpg.c8d7bf8778d40cc527a7b3260faf6b29.jpg

02.thumb.jpg.754dbc951024754cb2a3f3e8927b12ae.jpg

03.thumb.jpg.9b3d05f9216a7909fa1251adc1ff44e7.jpg

04.thumb.jpg.d6958faee4eb62498dcc5a7aa81a1046.jpg

05.thumb.jpg.559803bbf45824a551d55941dc7e3641.jpg

06.thumb.jpg.578158503af717ca27e94c131d132f7a.jpg

07.thumb.jpg.19e7e1a87c502cd59c804c7bac337ddb.jpg

• Like 2

My stepdad and I laid the plastic on half the garage floor first. Sadly, the chances of rain were like 800%, so we couldn't move much outside. That meant we had to do half the garage, then the other half. FYI, the 4x4 you see in the back is just support to help the garage stay upright. They pushed the bottom of the back out 50 or so years ago and didn't do anything to add support. 

08.thumb.jpg.d125d85b6c06feebdc617ce35d902a6a.jpg

Then we laid out a sorta-square. We knew the walls were not square, so the plan was to make it square from the first stud to the garage door. It worked out pretty well. The result on the area we started was that the final area there at the back was between 20 and 22 inches wide. So 2" out of square over 10'. 

10.thumb.jpg.17bde823b515c4a0371b57e8ff145844.jpg

I used treated 2x4, some 1/2" cedar that I have tons of and shims for the entire shimming process. 

So up to this point we'd spent about 8 hours on this project. Part of it was because we had to fix the garage door, and ended up calling someone to do it because we don't know how to adjust the tension on the springs right. Then moving everything out, and honestly I can't do much on my knees before my back kills itself. 

Therefore, day 2 we brought in my nephew, who does this for a living. 

About 30 mins later-

11.thumb.jpg.9c16a9fae10e75b88c02205891cedd5f.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.07dca1d46d05fcb6c9306cec5e9ae25a.jpg

A couple of hours later ( the shimming takes time)

13.thumb.jpg.c839526cd1bf1c538008323b4d7f9bc9.jpg

And later in the night, he got most of the front half shimmed and ready to go.

14.thumb.jpg.f4e55d3800a702d368ecf3423821a53a.jpg

Third day we had about half the floor done. Check out the door, even raising it 4.5 inches we didn't have a lot of clearance. You can see how the entire side of the garage tilts inward, causing the door to not open squarely. Long story short, the entire garage mess is because they improperly set the footings and didn't have gutters. As a result, the sides sunk into the ground and caused the pad to break up.

15.thumb.jpg.b90279a3b0a3aa85c1df052bfbcc47ca.jpg

17.thumb.jpg.3fc26a583e2ae3ce5c36a1de816358c0.jpg

It actually took us a good 9 hour to get the rest mostly done. There were distractions, like my nephews pregnant girlfriend there the entire time, my sister popping by and wasting time with lunch, and it was 30 degrees with a 20 mph wind. 

18.thumb.jpg.bb6cd59e7ff2ebfac3a73b06507af26e.jpg

Still, the last 2 hours my nephew kicked it into overdrive and did the work of 5 people. I am pretty sure I was never that awesome at age 23. Hardly seems fair. 

About 8pm, we were nearly done. Just a 2' section across the side and a bit at the back, which he just came back and finished today. The one piece was 4" out of square over 8', because the wall. Even worse, the wall undulated, so you almost had to make a wavey cut. 

19.thumb.jpg.e31624b2c175578153e902d8e773cb46.jpg

Next up.. I'm going to have to figure out how to run a 220 line to the middle of the shop because I forgot to do it while we were building. And I'll do the epoxy. I'll probably wait until June or so to do that so I can get some better temps. 

I'm going to use this opportunity to figure out a better solution for the side walls. I have some extra osb I can put up so I can fasten stuff better. And I can think a bit more on how to arrange the shop to my liking, and start thinking about ductwork finally. I'd like to upgrade to a better dust collector next year, so I want to have the ducting in place for that. 

• Like 2