Horse stall mats

rodger.

They are heavy as hell ! Not the most cushiony mats but they don't move when you get them placed where you want them. Great traction when you are pushing long rips into a saw ! I intend to buy more for the new shop, maybe next year after I recover from the move.

i have a couple of 24" X 36" very cushy mats that are fine for working in one place  but I wouldn't use them in front of a stationary power tool.

• Like 1

We have a bunch of them in the barn.  Some are over 30 years old, and I don't think we've ever had to throw one away.  The biggest trouble for me with a new one would be the smell.  They outgas a strong rubber smell for a long time.  Tractor Supply Company is hard to beat on the price for them, if you have the nose for it.

They are comfortable to stand on.

I have those mats. I think 1/2" gauge, but I'm not certain. They are extremely durable. I have been parking cars on them for 15 years with little wear. The are somewhat chemically resistant. They clean up nicely with some dish liquid, a broom, and a garden hose.

But keep in mind that, although they are better than bare concrete, they are not "anti-fatigue" mats. They will give you some insulation perhaps, and they certainly provide cushion as well as protection for dropped objects.

I like having them in the shop but I also have a couple of squares of the more cushy mats that I move around to where I'll be standing for a long time, like a sanding station for example.

I have half a dozen of them in the shop, and since I'm not going to be able to lay down a wood floor any time soon, I'll be getting more of them. They're not the best thing available, but they beat the heck out of the bare concrete. 

My Tractor Supply has 3x4 foot models, as well as the 4x6's, so the individual weight is halved, making moving much easier. You might want to check with your local dealer. 

Pug, I'm not specifically familiar with a horse stall mat but will say it's amazing how much better some cushion feels under foot.  Like coop, i hardly ever wear shoes in the shop, standing at the drum sander or ts for a ripathon used to kill my lower back,  now I barely notice. 

I use 2x2 interlocking foam mats I bought from amazon. 6 mats for something like $20. My only issue is that they will move if I kick them.  I wish they were heavier.  Sounds like a stall mat is decently heavy. 

Good luck. 

We have a bunch of them in the barn.  Some are over 30 years old, and I don't think we've ever had to throw one away.  The biggest trouble for me with a new one would be the smell.  They outgas a strong rubber smell for a long time.  Tractor Supply Company is hard to beat on the price for them, if you have the nose for it.

They are comfortable to stand on.

+1

They do offer ones that don't smell or 'move' the last I heard.  I bought 2 about 15 years ago.  They smelled strongly for about 7 years or so.  Cleaning them doesn't help.  I still have one of them and they do move with expansion/contraction.  Probably an inch every week.  If you butt them up against something,  in the direction they move, it won't be a problem.  

Mine were rated at 100 lbs a piece.  

• 4 weeks later...

Check out this product. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/best-step-anti-fatigue-foam-floor-mat?cm_vc=-10005 Nice size (46"x93"), nice price ($US19.99), warm and cushy underfoot.

Thanks Cindy... Wow that's a great price for that size.  I have a TSC not to far that says they have them in stock so I may have to go check them out.  I need some cush for my concrete floors...

• Like 1