Shop organization

Pwalter5110

On February 24, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Pwalter5110 said:

You guys gave me some great ideas! Thanks, and if anyone wants to post more, please do!

I hope you're happy. I've been shamed into going to confession and I'm not even Catholic? I'll never live long enough to come even close to these guys. I'm soooo envious!

• Like 1

I took some pictures to add to this thread, but they aren't as pretty as some of the others. My shop is in serious need of decluttering, but that will have to wait for the big reorganization I have planned. I thought I would give you some pluses and minuses of the storage and organizers I have. Maybe someone can learn from my successes and failures. First up is my power tool hotel. This is the top half of a cabinet that I made. Right now, it is hard to get to because I bought an 8 inch jointer a few years ago and it tends to live in front of the cabinet, however, I like the slot type setup:

56d3657a882d5_PowerToolCabinet(640x475).

My apologies for the light glare. If I were doing this over, I would cut the grooves for the dividers every inch or so to give me more flexibility.

Second, is my clamp racks. I need to rebuild these as I have too many clamps for the wall space in my shop. This is the rack for my Quick-Grip and small F-clamps:

56d365f9e97ca_QuickGripClampRack(640x360

I am pretty sure I can reduce the size of this by a bunch. I like the method similar to Chris G's method of stacking them out from the wall and will build something like that in the near future. One issue is that I used wooden bars and they have sagged from the load over time. The clamps tend to get tangled too. Here is the rack for my pipe and larger F-clamps:

56d366962c2a6_PipeandF-ClampRack(640x360

I have almost 50 F-clamps and I think they would benefit from the stacking-style of rack. I am a bit worried about the weight though. Same for the pipe clamps. I have heads for another dozen pipe clamps, so whatever I build will have to be expandable. This rack works, but the clamps tend to get tangled and sometimes you get more than one clamp when you pull them down. Using pipe instead of wood makes this rack really strong.

Next is one of my favorite cabinets, my utility cab. It sits between the air compressor and table saw on the left and my workbench on the right. It holds routers, router bits and accessories, drawing materials, measuring equipment, and sanding materials.

56d367ee6f1e9_UtilityCabinet(574x640).jp

I have to be careful not to let the top of it get full of junk. It tends to be a place I stage parts. You can see a mixture of both here. I have my homemade disk sander bolted to the top of it and it is probably one of the most used tools in my shop.

Here is my favorite drawer label:

56d36858415b3_MyFavoriteDrawer(640x448).

It holds jig parts, machine parts, contour sanding blocks, specialty clamps and just about anything else I don't know what else to do with. I might have to have a Junk 2 drawer soon.

Years ago, I came up with the bright idea of using a rotary table to hold my collection of grinders into a particular space in my shop:

56d368ef9cabe_GrinderTable(640x443).jpg.

Although it works fairly well, the cords tend to become tangled. I also find that I only use one grinder for sharpening and one for buffing edges The rest has become a junk collecting space. Vibration from the grinders tends to knock things off the table too. I call this attempt a failure and I am currently building a new sharpening cabinet that will incorporate three grinders, (sharpening, buffing and rough grinding), a pull out table for sharpening stones and diamond plates, and some drawers to organize things for sharpening jigs and my bandsaw. Another cabinet will be built to hold my drill press stuff and solvent cans on the sides, part of which are in the cabinet below the rotating table.

I have to start another post to get the rest of the pictures in.

3 hours ago, Autorotate said:

Here is what I made for all my hardware and stuff.

IMG_2030.JPG

IMG_2031.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

Here is what I did for my router bits

IMG_2036.JPG.58fe3dc88eddd95e51bf3de9d2dIMG_2037.JPG.d5a1f80c1575e3673004e6168e9IMG_2038.JPG.9a5c74cbfd812ad863a025a3c20IMG_2039.JPG.90a39d479541b56fe9a581e47ef

Nice work! Really like what you did with the Router Table. 

I've been on a big organization kick (and lighting) this year and recently moved a bunch of the Systainers into custom built wall units and been deliberating the ROI of building carts for some of the remaining units (about 29 total) or going with something of a different direction. Did you make your rolling carts yourself or were they manufactured? I can't tell from the pics if your shelves are part of the metal exterior structure or not. (in the background)

organization.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:29 PM, Nestor said:

Using modified plans from Home Handyman, I built roll-out shelves that hang from paired-up Johnson pocket door tracks and rollers. Each track and roller is rated for 200 lbs. Paired up, it gives me 400lbs.

9618d50b0b5af2c90322fb2a72b22dba.jpg

I've worked at retailers that use something like this in the back room.  (Nowhere near as nice, though.  Nicely done.)  And some doctors' offices do this, too.  Some are on tracks from the bottom, which is simpler to build (wheels and a guide rail attached to a bookshelf), but the weight becomes an issue and you can only go so high before it jams or tips.

Do you have any wheels on the bottom of the cabinets as well, or is it all supported at the top?

1 hour ago, jHop said:

I've worked at retailers that use something like this in the back room.  (Nowhere near as nice, though.  Nicely done.)  And some doctors' offices do this, too.  Some are on tracks from the bottom, which is simpler to build (wheels and a guide rail attached to a bookshelf), but the weight becomes an issue and you can only go so high before it jams or tips.

Do you have any wheels on the bottom of the cabinets as well, or is it all supported at the top?

The medical/dental clinics that I've seen use filing shelves that, rather than pull out, slide from side to side on tracks. they have a big wheel on the end of each shelf that moves them along the track.

A whole room will be filled with these shelves, right tight to each other, with just enough room on the ends for a corridor & about 3' to allow the shelves to slide from side to side.

I hate to think of what they would cost though.

Hey Soul Wood,

I made the cabinet for my festool stuff out of baltic birch plywood and painted it black. I put 6 casters under it so if I need to move it I can easily do so. I was going to make the drawers like I did for the hardware cabinet in the pictures above but festool came out with there drawers so I decided to go with them instead.FullSizeRender-1.jpg.167dabcb9f14e1cde6cFullSizeRender.jpg.bf61f5cac7a8f4efc1f68FullSizeRender-2.jpg.16100787d8c29c84c96

Using modified plans from Home Handyman, I built roll-out shelves that hang from paired-up Johnson pocket door tracks and rollers. Each track and roller is rated for 200 lbs. Paired up, it gives me 400lbs.

9618d50b0b5af2c90322fb2a72b22dba.jpg

The rolling shelves to which you refer are affectionately called "man killers" at my workplace.

My shelves are completely suspended by the tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are killing it. If this was a store, I'd be looting it hardcore. Got a lot of ideas from this, though it may be years before I could get it done. I just got a big Craftsman tool chest and screwed some scrap stuff into plywood on the wall so I could hang a few things, but I have a long way to go. 

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

You guys are killing it. If this was a store, I'd be looting it hardcore. Got a lot of ideas from this, though it may be years before I could get it done. I just got a big Craftsman tool chest and screwed some scrap stuff into plywood on the wall so I could hang a few things, but I have a long way to go. 

I agree completely! I can barely walk in my shop right now. I am in the middle of building a workbench, and all the wood is stickered on the floor. Once the workbench is done though, it will be time for me to get organized. I really like the kaizan (sp?) foam that a lot of guys have used to keep things in their place. I am definitely getting that for drawers.

I see a lot of the everyday posters with amazing shops. I hope they post ways that they keep their shops organized.

6ci2fC1.jpg

Would be a crime if I didn't share the one shining beacon of brightness in my otherwise cruel darkness infested shop organization. A few weeks ago I ordered these little containers from Lee Valley. Very economical. Turns out I ordered about half of what I need for my current screw/bolt selection. So I will probably order 3x as many for future expansion. Will need to dedicate at least one or two more drawers to this unless I build something.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

here are a few of my storage solutions:

Drill station

IMG_0733 (Copy).JPG

Sanding:

IMG_0736 (Copy).JPG

Hardware:

IMG_0737 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0738 (Copy).JPG

Drills/charging

IMG_0739 (Copy).JPG

Table Saw:

IMG_0741 (Copy).JPG

Router Bits:

IMG_0742 (Copy).JPG

I love the drill press thing. Actually all of it rocks. You got a different preppin' weapon per grit? I just got my first preppin' weapon today in the mail. 

Thanks Cliff the drill station was a plan out of ShopNotes. Works really well and i use the shelfs on the sides for my glue and glue accessories. My assembly bench is in the same area of the shop so it works out well. No more walking to the other side of the shop to get a drill bit :)

BTW yes on the preppin weapons 100, 150, 180, and 220 grits

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K Cooper said:

Pinned, all of your units are cool. I really like the dp station. It doesn't appear to be on casters? If not, have you ever had to move it to let your dp table down? Approx how tall is it?

K Cooper it is on casters both the cabinet and actually the drill press has its own stand. I will take a pic of it split later so you can see that. I will also measure the height and see if I can find the plan so I can share the shopnotes mag number.

• Like 2