Anyone vacuum their shop?

estesbubba

Going back a bit have you guys seen the cyclone separators DIY'd from old Dyson vacuum cleaners - simplest ones I've seen use the bin and cyclone with the base removed and sat on a suitable bin hooked up to a shop vac a bit like Marc did in his shootout.

The reason I mention this is I can get an old Dyson for £10 in the UK, the DIY dust deputy goes for £50.

A couple of examples:

I have a basement workshop, so I do a lot of vacuuming. I purchase from yard/garage sales canister carpet vacuums. You can buy the vacuum bags on the cheap. A vacuum cleaner with attachments has never cost me over $25.00.

First I pick up the larger chips with a dust pan, then start vacuuming.  

-Ace-

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Picked up a 12 gal Ridgid vac today and large floor attachment and should have done this 10 years ago! I was amazed how much faster and better vacuuming did over a broom and it also did great on the anti-fatigue mats. Picked up an extra extension wand so I don't have to bend over. They do make a hepa filter and wonder if that might be good to get or stick with the basic one for shop vacuuming?

680D3D8D-4B4E-4971-B12A-096219CD6991_zps

56 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

Picked up a 12 gal Ridgid vac today and large floor attachment and should have done this 10 years ago! I was amazed how much faster and better vacuuming did over a broom and it also did great on the anti-fatigue mats. Picked up an extra extension wand so I don't have to bend over. They do make a hepa filter and wonder if that might be good to get or stick with the basic one for shop vacuuming?

680D3D8D-4B4E-4971-B12A-096219CD6991_zps

I have the same vac, I use it for cleaning up shop mostly as well, although it's also what I use with my miter saw.  I bought the bags for it instead of getting the better filter...the bags do a better job and are cheap enough IMO...I'm on the same one for many months.  if You do get the hepa filter, put panty house around it, those stupid pleats clog up so fast you'll have to buy a new one right away.

• Like 1

If by HEPA filter you are referring to the Clean Stream filters there is no need to buy a new one. You can just hit them with the hose or clean them in the sink. I keep an extra so that while one is drying I can install the one I have previously cleaned. That being said I wouldn't dream of putting an ultrafine filter on a shop vac if I did not have some sort of a separator like a dust deputy in line ahead of it. JMHO

7 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

If by HEPA filter you are referring to the Clean Stream filters there is no need to buy a new one. You can just hit them with the hose or clean them in the sink. I keep an extra so that while one is drying I can install the one I have previously cleaned. That being said I wouldn't dream of putting an ultrafine filter on a shop vac if I did not have some sort of a separator like a dust deputy in line ahead of it. JMHO

I think gee-dub is right actually, it does say "washable and re-usable"...count me surprised. I will add that I do have a dust deputy in front of this vac to help the bags/filter last longer. I stand by the panty hose trick though. All pleated filters suck in this regard.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/5-Layer-Allergen-Filter-for-5-0-gal-RIDGID-Wet-Dry-Vacs/100022800

I use our old upright each time we get a new vacuum. Figure if I damage it, no loss. Keep it in the laundry room next to the garage.

It doesn't use a bag, and on the tallest setting, I can go over the fatigue mats without them getting sucked up. The handle can lay flat and gets under most stuff in the shop.

I have one of those big Rigid shop vacs, the one that says 6 hp on it (yeah, from 115V, sure).  I normally just sweep but it comes out regularly too.  I use it as a blower to clean up too, when I don't break out the leaf blower to do it.  I also have a small shop vac that I use to clean dust off things I am finishing, and for the car too.

11 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

I think gee-dub is right actually, it does say "washable and re-usable"...count me surprised. I will add that I do have a dust deputy in front of this vac to help the bags/filter last longer. I stand by the panty hose trick though. All pleated filters suck in this regard.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/5-Layer-Allergen-Filter-for-5-0-gal-RIDGID-Wet-Dry-Vacs/100022800

I may  have misspoke.  I was referring to these which HD used to sell.  I assume the Ridgid branded HEPA filter has replaced them.  I assume the pink "dust" used in the video on the linked site is carefully sized to be larger than what the Clean Stream will pass; good marketing.  What we are discussing is the clogging that all that well captured fine dust causes.

I am still running the first Clean Stream I ever bought over 10years ago. I have two vacs and three filters so there is always one dry and ready to go when I need to swap.  Despite the Dust Deputy, enough fines will clog any filter so I am gonna give that panty hose trick a try.  Thanks JosephThomas.

BTW, I don't even use the barrel anymore.  With the Dust Deputy the amount of spoil reaching the filter chamber was nil so I did this.

DD after use (3).jpgDD after use (2).jpgDD mod.jpg

I empty the bucket a dozen times or so before I have to clean the filter.

• 3 months later...
On 9/4/2016 at 8:35 PM, JosephThomas said:

I have the same vac, I use it for cleaning up shop mostly as well, although it's also what I use with my miter saw.  I bought the bags for it instead of getting the better filter...the bags do a better job and are cheap enough IMO...I'm on the same one for many months.  if You do get the hepa filter, put panty house around it, those stupid pleats clog up so fast you'll have to buy a new one right away.

I have the 14 gallon version. I bought the hepa filter and some cheap bags off amazon.com. It works great. Cleaner air, fantastic suction. I use a dust deputy with mine

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I’ve heard of folks using a leaf blower to clean their shop but it sounds like just rearranging the dust. How do you get it out of the shop? My garage overhead doors face the south and my man doors face west and north. Will putting a fan in front of the north door draw it out? J

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I’ve heard of folks using a leaf blower to clean their shop but it sounds like just rearranging the dust. How do you get it out of the shop? My garage overhead doors face the south and my man doors face west and north. Will putting a fan in front of the north door draw it out? J

It works surprisingly well, at least in my single garage shop. I only use the main garage door and it still gets most of the dust out. I usually vacuum or sweep up the bulk of it, then use the leaf blower (starting from the back, away from the door) and blow the dust off everything and move it in the general direction of the exit. I mostly do it because it's way less work than getting up and cleaning it all up close.

• Like 2

I do the leaf blower thing on occasion. It gets stuff out of nooks and crannies that you didn't know existed, but you must rinse and repeat a couple of times to get the fine stuff that settles after each pass. I use a fan in the man door, and open both overhead doors. Biggest problem I have is breeze blowing stuff back in.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2016 at 11:07 AM, drzaius said:

A Dust Deputy works great with a shop vac.

I have that setup, works great. I sweep up the big chunks and use the vacuum. I'm not so picky to vacuum under shelving, etc. I use 25 foot hose, two tubes and the floor attachment. I use the nozzle to vacuum the lathe, BS, DP, TS which has to have the end panel taken off to get inside. Shop Vac isn't powerful enough to pull all the sawdust out. Would love to have a DC system but no room, in or outside the shop!