Used sawstop

logos

I am looking for some last min advice from the forum

I sold my jet proshop tablesaw yesterday.

I was going to use a buddies old grizzly until I could justify a sawstop or when the same technology is used by the other brands.

I found a 2013 sawstop 3hp professional saw with over blade dust guard, extra riving knife, ext table an dado brake and insert, no mobile base. Checked it out this eve. He's also throwing in a new gripper still in box.

Good shape. Older guy who says he only used it 2-3 times before he got injured and then put it in storage. Some light surface rust that should buff out and a bit dusty. It's in his friends garage and he needs it gone

He just posted it last night and I happened to be looking at the same time.

He was asking 2500. I offered 2300 and he said 2400. Agreed. No 220 outlet in garage so couldn't hear it but looks clean on inside.

Do you think this is a reasonable deal? I've been seeing new PM66s for 1800-2200

I will be meeting him tomorrow eve to finalize.

I use a bit of box store construction grade fir. Will mildly green wood set this thing off?

Any feeling if I should just look for new and spend an extra 600?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'd say the price you're willing to spend is really a matter of opinion. You'll have guys on both sides. If it feels right and you are happy with it, snatch it up. Or you'll kick yourself later for not acting fast enough.

Do you feel that the guy is being honest and the saw looks like it's brand new? Just look it over real well and ask the guy to make it a conditional deal that the saw runs with no issues when you get it home. If you can plug it in at your house without unloading it, I'd do that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

looks new aside from mild light rust on iron. Other wise looks pretty new. Guy looked to be in his 80s and seemed honest

I've definitely let some deals go that I regretted.

Just watched some videos that eased my mind with using mildly damp wood

Also saw that the new Bosch remax will only fire twice and need replacement just like sawstop so prob not going to be new technology that I will regret not waiting for

If you add all the extras at current full price plus freight( if any) and tax you will have a number to compare to that is realistic . Usually one extra comes with the saw, spare cartridges or the overarm dust collection but not both.

Polishing a new saw would get done eventually and your never really comfortable with a car until it has a scratch or something. So it's pre-broken in.

• Like 1

I just bought a new sawstop a month or so ago. I got the 3hp with a 36" t glide fence. I paid about 2800 for it and didn't pay sales tax because I bought it in Delaware. Using their promotion I got the mobile base for free. 

The saw you are buying sounds similar (assuming it has the t-glide fence, if it doesn't its 180 dollars cheaper for the aluminum fence) and it comes with the necessary equipment for a dado stack which when priced out is worth $140 by itself. Assuming you plan to use a dado stack and that isnt an unnecessary expense then you saved yourself about 600 dollars buying this used saw vs buying a new sawstop (also assuming tglide fence). 

I will say this, its the cheapest sawstop you are likely to see if it really doesn't have much in the way of miles on it. Its also VERY close to the cost of a new sawstop. Locally I just don't see a lot of them selling used and when they do they tend to be priced similar to the one you nabbed. I am pretty thrifty but I can't say you got a bad deal. Only you can decide if the 600 dollar difference is worth it.

• Like 1

I'm with nwhomewsteader, on the question of "is the price good" is a bit relative to what both parties find agreeable. 

I am sure you already have done the math and know exactly what the same with all the extras costs brand new. I would certainly give this machine strong consideration and take a look at it.

I don't think it will stay up for sale long, I bet it goes fast. 

Good Luck!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, logos said:

I use a bit of box store construction grade fir. Will mildly green wood set this thing off?

Two things

with the saw off if you touch anything that is conductive to the blade it will give you a signal in the lights by the switch that lets you know that the brake will fire if that item touches the blade while the blade is spinning.

second, if you really need to run something through that is wet, such a pressure treated, there is a key that comes with the saw that allows you to turn of the braking system.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, logos said:

I cut home center construction grade white wood and pressure treated all the time.  Some of this stuff is so moist that it's cool to the touch, and some actually feels damp.  Never had a problem with my Sawstop.  I usually use a push stick or a a Grr-ripper, but I don't hesitate to guide a piece with my hand when convenient.  I think you need a really good electrical path from the blade to your flesh to trigger it.

• Like 1

There are a lot of people who really love their mustard but, I would take the 3HP PCS over the Powermatic.  As a matter of fact, I did.  Better fit and finish, excellent customer service, blah, blah, blah. 

Don't get me wrong, the PM's are nice machines.  I just felt that they were offered at a premium price based on reputation as opposed to current reality.

I know others have opposing opinions. Please don't lob mustard bombs at me for speaking my mind :rolleyes:

Ha! Will clean her up tomorrow and post some pics. Rumor will be confirmed. Was a 2014 not 2013 so it really was new. Sat for most of last year.

Now to do a day of new sled building. Since this is going to be my main saw for a while I'd like to make some delux sleds!