Wood hinge boxes

shaneymack

Shane, i get mixed results with my omnijig too. I think a lot of my problems stem from how the boards are clamped. Not sure about the D4r but the omnijig doesn't have a real long edge guide, and how much pressure you put on a board that you clamp can change things slightly. The omnijig has a similar support to the vrs and that also seems to change things a bit sometimes. Just too many parts and adjustments make it finicky. I feel your pain.

• Like 1

Shane, i get mixed results with my omnijig too. I think a lot of my problems stem from how the boards are clamped. Not sure about the D4r but the omnijig doesn't have a real long edge guide, and how much pressure you put on a board that you clamp can change things slightly. The omnijig has a similar support to the vrs and that also seems to change things a bit sometimes. Just too many parts and adjustments make it finicky. I feel your pain.

I think these jigs are often seen as plug and play and that they give perfectly consistent results. This haven't been my experience.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Just a thought - maybe the VRS (that's a support bar that gets mounted on the front, which also has a vacuum hookup (for those that don't know)) got loose and raised or lowered the front edge of the router a smidge?

51 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Great work as always...Mabe you can do the finger recess on just some of them..I like them myself.

Thanks Mark

50 minutes ago, midtnwoodworker said:

Those look really nice. The lines in the mahogany do almost completely disappear. I would probably add a small recess, but I would test it on the poplar box first to see if it messes with the clean lines that the boxes already have.

Thanks ! Thats a good point, i will try it on the poplar one and see how i like it.

41 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Ya done good with the boxes Shane, but the glare from all the green hurts my wallet!

Thanks Richard. LOL. Ya, there is certainly a green glare in my shop. I built my bench to house 9 systainers thinking thats all id ever need. Well, now i need to find a home for about twenty more systainers! Thats my next project I think. 

They are both very nice but that mahogany hinge is amazing the way it blends in!

Thanks! I agree about the mahogany hinge. The other one didnt blend as well because the hinge is maple and the box is birdseye. I wasnt about to try to make birdseye dowel, life is hard enough lol

• Like 1

Actually I turned several it was no problem I'm sure your Veritas jig will work great on that too. Having said that I have had issues getting them to match because there is so much going on with the grain of the different pieces. here are a couple of curly maple ones I did.

IMG_1034.JPG

Actually I turned several it was no problem I'm sure your Veritas jig will work great on that too. Having said that I have had issues getting them to match because there is so much going on with the grain of the different pieces. here are a couple of curly maple ones I did.

IMG_1034.JPG

Awesome! So you did birdseye and curly?

I haven't made a birdseye box yet but I made up several hinge blanks while I had the jig set up. They are marked BE in the pic.

IMG_0942.JPG

Thanks, thats good to know! I will make a few tomorrow as I have one more birdseye box to glue up!

• Like 1

Neat little boxes, Shane.  I've never seen them hinged like that.  I'm not sure how I feel about the decorative paper but it's an interesting twist.  Well done at super-human speed as usual.

Oh, and I agree about the D4R.  It's definitely a huge PITA to set up and it's very finicky.  I've only used it one time on the blanket chests, and it took two fairly intelligent people a full day to set it up and cut the joints, but it would have taken a WEEK to do all those joints by hand.  So I think - depending on the project - it's still totally worth owning and using, despite the headaches.  I'll admit though...it's been only a few months since I used it and I can't remember at least half of the steps you have to go through.

• Like 1

That mahogany box is flawless, maple is pretty good too though...I couldn't even really figure out how the hinge worked until I got further down to the pics of the open boxes. Well done sir. 

I'm torn on the finger recess. I'd be a little worried that if the top shrinks a little in the winter it would be harder to open...but it looks pretty great without one.

Also, why the decorative paper? Is it just a style thing, or is there something about the bottom you want to hide without veneering?

• Like 1

Neat little boxes, Shane.  I've never seen them hinged like that.  I'm not sure how I feel about the decorative paper but it's an interesting twist.  Well done at super-human speed as usual.

Oh, and I agree about the D4R.  It's definitely a huge PITA to set up and it's very finicky.  I've only used it one time on the blanket chests, and it took two fairly intelligent people a full day to set it up and cut the joints, but it would have taken a WEEK to do all those joints by hand.  So I think - depending on the project - it's still totally worth owning and using, despite the headaches.  I'll admit though...it's been only a few months since I used it and I can't remember at least half of the steps you have to go through.

Thanks E! I always appreciate your feedback. Ya the decorative paper is definitely not for everyone but I didnt feel like doing all solid bottoms for all five boxes and i didnt want to do plain boring plywood. That's how the paper came about. Next batch i will try leather bottoms. The paper will be great for the kids. Im giving three of the boxes to my three oldest kids.

I hear you about the d4r. I hate it so much but will probably use it again because as you say, it is faster if you have a big project. I was still pissed the other day when I went on and on about it lol.

That mahogany box is flawless, maple is pretty good too though...I couldn't even really figure out how the hinge worked until I got further down to the pics of the open boxes. Well done sir. 

I'm torn on the finger recess. I'd be a little worried that if the top shrinks a little in the winter it would be harder to open...but it looks pretty great without one.

Also, why the decorative paper? Is it just a style thing, or is there something about the bottom you want to hide without veneering?

Thanks JT! The decorative paper is just for fun. Didnt feel like doing solid bottoms and thats what I had in the house =)

Plywood bottoms with self adhesive felt is another option.

I used red felt for a silverware chest i built for someone 10 years ago. I remember not liking it. I guess i could try it again. I'll add that to the list. I definitely want to do a few with leather bottoms also

• Like 1

Really nice boxes Shane! You pick up the hinge technique from Rob Cosman, or somewhere else?

My $0.02 on future options: I like the finger recess idea, as sometimes wood moves, and you need a little grip to open the box. Also, I might suggest various types of uphostely fabrics as an alternative to paper, felt, or leather.

• Like 1

Really nice boxes Shane! You pick up the hinge technique from Rob Cosman, or somewhere else?

My $0.02 on future options: I like the finger recess idea, as sometimes wood moves, and you need a little grip to open the box. Also, I might suggest various types of uphostely fabrics as an alternative to paper, felt, or leather.

Thanks Ross ! Yes this is a technique Cosman uses. I mentioned in the video that its his but wasn't sure if he came up with the idea or not. It's a great way to do a wood hinge, i really like it. It's pretty easy and a lot of fun !