Cherry Basement Bar

Chestnut

Friend of mine got married. He was renting from me for 2 years before this so i told him for a wedding gift I'd make him something and have the labor be my gift. Hashed out a design with him and his wife and came up with a simple design. She originally wanted to try and match the trim and go with stained oak but i am sick of working with oak so i convinced her to go with cherry. The bar top is going to be a slab of some sort, we'll see what i can find.

Derek Bar-Layout1.jpg

Made a to scale cad drawing, boy was that useful already used it to verify measurements.

13735570_10101047215803269_9719884083362

When i went to buy the cherry, that Jatoba was just sitting out looking like it needed a home. My rear entry has been my overflow storage for a while now ...

13716027_10101047215928019_3423418606896

Cut some plywood and used some Domino. I know it's obvious but dang that tool is nice. I'm still climbing the learning curve for the domino but it's not very steep and it's defiantly not a bumpy ride.

13775902_10101050172203619_7559428908969

Got some of the plywood together. Gluing dominos is less fun then i would have guessed. It's awfully tedious spreading glue on those things.

13715970_10101050172408209_7247063254993

Got some cherry milled. I have to go to the yard again today. I bought all the cherry they had that wasn't awful. They should have gotten a delivery today so I'll go buy the rest of what i need. My TS wrench is on the table because i pulled the combo blade to put in my Forrest WWII 20 tooth. Boy is that blade nice, there is no feed resistance.

• Like 1

During the week i tend to my garden as well as do household chores so i only get like 3 hours of woodworking a night. This week it felt like 30 minutes.

I got the front 4 panel glued together and boy were the shop made tenons really nice to get a good sturdy fit on this. During the glue up i used space balls to hold the panel in place side to side and i realized that the .3" slot i normally do was going to create a problem fro this large project. I used some blue tape to keep every thing held where it was supposed to be while i spread glue and slid the panels in place.

Derek Bar 039 adj.jpg

After panel 2 things got too long for my 48" clamps so i had to break out the pipe clamps with my 5' and 2' sections joined together. Having those around are really nice for moments like this.

Derek Bar 040 adj.jpg

Used my typical cauls white oak and purpleheart. They were sections left over from a picture frame that i know are perfectly strait and quite rigid.

Derek Bar 041 adj.jpg

Things got cramped.

While i was working on this i glued up a couple clamping squares from scrap plywood. They work really well when i need to clamp things square and beings that i made them from scraps i don't care if they get damaged. When i go to attach the front and sides together i know I'm going to need some right angle support. I don't want to cut any corners .... I squared the 2 outside sides with my miter sled. The inside is never square.

Derek Bar 036 adj.jpg

In case any one needs good white balance. Festool's systainers work as a great grey card.

1 minute ago, K Cooper said:

I hate to divert from this cool project, but, where did you get the blue pipe?

That's a secret between me and some guys in the oil field ....

It's just painters tape. I didn't want all the grime from the pipe on the cherry. Until you asked i forgot i did that.

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Do you unwrap and rewrap every time you use the pipe? I.e. How do you slide the clamps down the pipe?

I didn't wrap it i just laid 2 pieces down the length of the pipe it peals off easily. It also took 30 seconds to stick on there. As far as sliding up and down i only use these clamps if i encounter something my 48" parallel clamps can't handle which isn't often. I suppose if i needed to i could take a utility knife and cut around the pipe and peel back to that cut line and then slid the clamp. It sure is nice though not getting dirty hands every time i grab these things.

8 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Your doing some very nice work there, chestnut!

I would kill for 3 hours of shop time a day ! Enjoy because that'll change quick once misses nut wants some little baby nuts !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I know i get more time then most of the married with kids and job types out there. I've just been stressed because work life is really busy and home life is really busy. I don't generally get weekends to work on things so my weekday evenings is usually all i get.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Some how I'm just seeing this journal. Everything looks great so far.

And the next time you complain about 3 hours of shop time a night, I'm going to FedEx you a molotov cocktail. You'll just have to light it for me when it gets there. 

I need to learn to convey my thoughts better. I was complaining about 30 min of shop time which was far shorter than the 3 hours i normally get.

If you want the address for the molotov PM me I'd welcome some fun.

Coming along great.  IMHO, its either book matched or its not; partial efforts often look last minute.  Depending on the figure you might be able to get away with a contrasting wood strip in the middle of book matched pairs but again, this often looks "fixed" (or "cool" if your doing the 1960's racing-stripe thing or echoing a guitar back) :D

Wait, the more I think about this the more it may work.  What is the theme of the basement?  Is it a man-cave or a family room?  If a man cave the racing stripe idea might be made to fit in with other decor; posters, racing helmet table lamp.  You know, a campy style.

Is there part of the book matched piece's figure that happens to have fairly straight grain along one edge of each?  That is the only way I could think that you might make it look planned using same-species material; adding a similarly straight grained piece to connect the two straight grained edges.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Thanks guys. Now i'm trying to figure out the top I have 2 bootk matched slabs i was going to use fro the top but they aren't wide enough.

Would it be weirder to put a piece between the 2 slabs or should i add on to the back or front?

I would either use three random pieces with similar widths (including your bookmatched pair but not with those two together) or find all new material for the top and save the bookmatched pair for later.  Focus on board width, grain and color matching and forget about bookmatch.

I would not do a racing stripe or add a skinny strip anywhere.  That always looks amateurish and frankly terrible...to my eye.

• Like 1