Design question

Cliff

Well, my wife's parents are from Korea and she  taught me how to use chop sticks properly (most white people use them all wrong).  Guess what?  Lots of foods are easier to eat with chop sticks and they are fantastic for flipping meats or fish on the grill.  

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Uh, Chinese food always tastes better with chopsticks.  Fact.

#cliffsarobot

Cliff, sorry for the total hijack of this thread.  Since I'm primarily responsible for it, if you want me to clean up all the crap...just say so.

Fact = The first english written use of the word "fact" was thus, "It is a fact that if you pour an ointment on the knife that stabbed someone, the stab wound will heal." This is how you have used the word fact sir. 

I don't mind a hijacking. I encourage it. We got the business of how to do the slides out of the way and went on to more entertaining things. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Isn't chinese food served in those tiny bowls so you can just hold it up to your pie hole and rake the stuff in with the sticks?

In my experience, this is how much of Asia uses sticks. Remember, they are used because they are easy to make. They are not the most efficient way to eat rice. The hold close and sweep method is fast and effective. 

East asian rice, properly made, sticks together so you can easily pick it up with chop sticks.  For example, nigiri should be easy to pick up with chop sticks   Its easier to eat nigiri or sashimi with chopsticks, IMO  

They don't use chop sticks in many south east asian countries (for example, thailand) but thai restaurants here will provide chopsticks so white people feel authentic.  

13 hours ago, Mike. said:

East asian rice, properly made, sticks together so you can easily pick it up with chop sticks.  For example, nigiri should be easy to pick up with chop sticks   Its easier to eat nigiri or sashimi with chopsticks, IMO  

They don't use chop sticks in many south east asian countries (for example, thailand) but thai restaurants here will provide chopsticks so white people feel authentic.  

Apparently that's where my wife is messing up. She must be buying East Asian rice☺️

36 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Yeah it is sushi.  I eat it routinely.  No problems yet.  I have no food aversions.  My job sent me all over the world in my 20s so I learned how to like most anything.  

Isn't it technically sashimi? Or is Sashimi something different?

I use sushi as the general term for japanese raw fish dishes. 

Maki are the rolls most people call "sushi"

Nigiri are chunks of raw fish served over rice.

Sashimi are chunks of raw fish served on their own. 

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Huh, learned something new. I could teach you a thing or two about Japanese cars but i know nothing about their food. Well next to nothing, i know i like eating it.

Is it true that your not supposed to mix soy sauce and wasabi?

I know what you are asking, my personal take on that sort of question is that really isn't something to worry about much. I'd say we all go to restaurants to eat food that tastes good to us, not to satisfy some busy bodies rules about how something is supposed to be consumed.

Also, FYI, people in other countries eat some interesting versions of food from here. For example, pizza hut in Hong Kong sells pizzas with corn and lobster on it and McDonalds in Japan sells all kinds of interesting sandwiches we don't have here.

Nothing wrong with learning the traditional way of serving and preparing a food, but if spicy mayo or cream cheese tastes good to me with sushi, I'll eat it that way.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

I know what you are asking, my personal take on that sort of question is that really isn't something to worry about much. I'd say we all go to restaurants to eat food that tastes good to us, not to satisfy some busy bodies rules about how something is supposed to be consumed.

Also, FYI, people in other countries eat some interesting versions of food from here. For example, pizza hut in Hong Kong sells pizzas with corn and lobster on it and McDonalds in Japan sells all kinds of interesting sandwiches we don't have here.

Nothing wrong with learning the traditional way of serving and preparing a food, but if spicy mayo or cream cheese tastes good to me with sushi, I'll eat it that way.

I think it's more of a respect thing then a social taboo. If you ask for ranch in my house before trying the food i made for you, your plate is getting thrown out the door with you shortly behind it. I'm all for desecrating tradition cuisine but I'd prefer to at least try it the way it was intended first.

• Like 2

Just now, Chestnut said:

I think it's more of a respect thing then a social taboo. If ask for ranch in my house before trying the food i made for you, your plate is getting thrown out the door with you shortly behind it. I'm all for desecrating tradition cuisine but I'd prefer to at least try it the way it was intended first.

Ha fair enough, I can agree to that, if it is your first time trying a dish, adding unusual and not provided by the restaurant/host condiments isn't very polite.

Your question reminded me of a buddy who dated a Japanese woman years ago. I think I was tapping into that. Suddenly he became insufferable to eat sushi with because he'd either give you a lecture or just have a thick air of superiority about only wanting to eat it the traditional Japanese way.