The Nut House

Chestnut

1 minute ago, Brendon_t said:

No critique here.  Your shop is your happy productive place.  Looks like you've made it your own. 

What is on the list for Xmas?

Gonna do a bunch of bandsaw boxes. I had a ton of old flooring that i wanted to get rid of so i milled it all flat and am going to glue it together and make a bunch of random ones. I have some good ideas from it was either drunken woodworker or one of the other youtubers.

1 minute ago, JosephThomas said:

Sweet. I love shop tours.  What is the 'crawlspace' or 'attic' area up and to the left? What is below it?

Oh yeah I'm in the basement. The spaces up high are crawl spaces. They are dirt floored that i threw plastic and then plywood on. The one where my wood is has more space then the one by my dust collector.

Just now, Chestnut said:

Oh yeah I'm in the basement. The spaces up high are crawl spaces. They are dirt floored that i threw plastic and then plywood on. The one where my wood is has more space then the one by my dust collector.

Ah okay that makes more sense now. As long as it stays dry under there seems like a decent spot for the lumber. Seems like you have done well making the shop your own.  Is the first photo with the dryer in view a different room?

1 minute ago, JosephThomas said:

Ah okay that makes more sense now. As long as it stays dry under there seems like a decent spot for the lumber. Seems like you have done well making the shop your own.  Is the first photo with the dryer in view a different room?

Yep it's my laundry room with utility sink. it's the main location for my finishing. Most completed work doesn't fit in the shop. In picture #5 the miter station you can kind of see the white of the dryer in the middle of the picture through the plastic.

6 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

So what's with the plastic? Is that a "faux wall"?

Plastic is there to separate the shop from the rest of the house so i don't get dust everywhere. With no vents into or out of the shop it works well. I hardly ever notice any woodworking dust upstairs in the house.

• Like 1

@Woodenskye Don't have anything for outfeed. I move the table saw a lot to deal with capacity issues and that *#^&$ pole. I have thought about making something that has hinges. For really large wide items the miter table works .... until the piece hits the miter saw.

@PugWho says it has to be ready or done. The thread doesn't disappear so you can always fill in updates. This was the first time i had my shop clean. Normally i walk on a 1/2" of sawdust.

10 hours ago, Chestnut said:

14054089_10101079170895009_9083926824521

That's one dangerous cut you're about to make, don't do it! :D

I'd tear up the linoleum and add more lights, and I'd have to organize the frack out of a space that small, otherwise...good on ya for manglin' wood no matter the circumstances.  You still got it better than many.

Where's the jointer?

• Like 1

@Eric. Jointer and band saw are in the garage. I don't need to use the jointer because i don't have a source for rough lumber that isn't air dried cletus wood.

@Immortan D Took off the blade guard because i got sick of having to remove it for blade changes. I throw on a different blade when ever i cut wall wood.

Don't pity me too much i have a 500 sq ft garage that i park my cars in. It's been pointed out they'd be better off outside. I have AC and Heat in the basement though, if i did garage work I'd be reduced to 2 months a year.

I am like Steve, I am impressed with people that can work in small places.  I often wonder if I could make a go of it in a space smaller then my two car shop.  I do share space with a washer, dryer, water heater and freezer.  I keep trying to convince my wife to go redneck and move the washer and dryer into the living room so I could gain some space, but she isn't buying it. :D

19 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Nice shop, Drew steel ! at first I thought it was pretty small but then read that you do your milling in the garage. it seems a little dark in there or is that just the photos?

I really only do jointing and band saw work in the garage, my 735 is in the basement. Pictures just look dark i never have too much of an issue with light. I guess i should say i have a light on my router table/main bench that was turned off.

I'm taking the comments on being impressed with people working in small places as such. How do you live like that!? The answer is different parts of the house become my shop from time to time. Also nothing over 78" long and 32" wide.