Is this too much for delivery?

rodger.

A while ago, I almost bought a Laguna 14twelve band saw for my shop. I decided that I wanted the Festool Kapex more (and it was on special), so I bought the Kapex instead.

My tool budget is growing, and I am getting close to the point where I can buy the Laguna.  I called Atlas Machinery today, and was quoted 200 dollars shipping for the saw (about 300 lbs) and the mobile base.  The distance is approx. 100 km from their showroom to my door.

Is this too much for delivery?  I could see if it was coming from the states, or western Canada, or something.  

Where I work part time, they have 2 rates. One is if the truck delivering has a tailgate lift and the other cheaper way is if it just rocks up at your place and you have a fork lift to unload. The price seems ok if it is tailgated.

Tailgate alone is typically a $100+ charge.

Ive shipped large stuff(1300lb jointer, 600-700lb 20" bandsaw etc) and it is funny how cheap the freight is, but they hose you with residential delivery with tailgate. 

• Like 1

My guy delivered it for free. About 40 kms.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I'd like to shop around a bit, but not many laguna dealers here.

Where I work part time, they have 2 rates. One is if the truck delivering has a tailgate lift and the other cheaper way is if it just rocks up at your place and you have a fork lift to unload. The price seems ok if it is tailgated.

This is not a lift gate, I don't believe.  It's like another 40 I believe to add tailgate service.

I don't pay for shipping.  Amazon learned me that.

I clicked on a few amazon links, but shipping is rarely free for Canadians.

Problem with picking it up, at least in the USA, is that usually means you have to pay tax.  I always try to find tax-free/ships free for every big tool purchase...and it's not hard to find.  Between Amazon and ACME and Ace and a couple others, there's usually an option that meets all the criteria.  Amazon is hard to beat.

I don't know what kind of country doesn't have free shipping.  Damn communists is what ya are. :D

I'm thinking about buying the same bandsaw pretty soon. Waiting on a client payment to order it. I plan to either do amazon or go pick it up if I can buy it within 300 miles. I just put it in my shopping cart on amazon and they charged $73 tax. But it might be worth it to go through them considering the customer service. 

I tend to have good experiences buying tools from machine shops in my vicinity.  If there is an issue, I call the guy who sold it to me, and we sort it out.  I prefer dealing with a person, as opposed to buying online.

The guy at the local industrial supply store has sold me a few machines, and he gives me a good price on stuff.  He is also willing to help me out if I need an odd delivery time, i have a concern, if there is a missing part, or something like that.