PMV-11 made me a better woodworker.

Freddie

Probably the biggest single change for me was stepping up to a quality table saw.  It's not a serious, expensive saw but it's the single largest purchase I've made for my shop and the only tool besides the dust collector that gets used on nearly every project.  That said, for some reason I enjoy working with the oscillating spindle sander.

I'd have to say technique over tools for me is what made my woodworking experience better. Over the years I had upgraded tools, but never set my shop up to utilize the new tools to their fullest. I got a cabinet saw, but never built an outfeed table. I invested in hand tools without a proper bench. Basically, I was always fighting myself in the shop, but I never let my work suffer from that. At my day job however, my tool box is about as organized as you could possibly imagine. OCD to the max. My wood shop on the other hand, a disaster!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Are you leaving the hobby? 

Yes, I'm quitting my wood working ,although I'm still interested and will keep up with the community.

I've been doing it for 15+ years and have built everything from scroll saw work to a dinning room table and rocking chair. I've made toys for the grandkids for  Christmas, a windmill and some customer work of end tables and benches.

I'm getting older, (72) and have trouble breathing even without sawdust in the air (I doubt it has anything to with my cigarette smoking however :) ) and have just generally lost the inspiration to start any more projects.

My boys (son and son-in-law) would like to have some of my tools but, just don't have the space and time to start another serious hobby.

If anyone is interested in some used tools (big and small) and can come get them (I'm not going to get involved with shipping things) just ask and I'll give you some prices. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to post a list in the proper area.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Well that stinks. I do understand about it not being not fun like it was. Sounds like you would feel alto better as I would if we quit smoking also. No offense there. I hope you have other things to enjoy and  take up your time. After all your only 72.

1 hour ago, Rapid Roger said:

Yes, I'm quitting my wood working

I'm getting older, (72) and have trouble breathing even without sawdust in the air (I doubt it has anything to with my cigarette smoking however :) ) and have just generally lost the inspiration to start any more projects.

:( 

• 2 weeks later...

Roger, if you want to quit:  my dad recently quit by switching to the vapor e-cigs and then stepping off the nicotine.  He still puffs on his e-cig out of mechanical habit, but is planning on quitting that too, ultimately.  While those are probably still not super awesome for your lungs, they're better than inhaling the slew of everything else that is in cigarettes. 

This is like trying to pick a favorite child.  In the tailed world, a quality jointer/planer team freed me to make my own boards.  I started picking the best parts instead of taking what gave the most yield.

In the hand tool world, PM-V11 actually did make me a better woodworker ;-)  In all fairness a Veritas Apron Plane taught me what a tool can do if properly sharpened and setup. I had sharp starter chisels and the softer metal actually helped teach me to sharpen (since I had to do it so much).