I made a tutorial on Half Mitered Dovetails and wanted to see what you guys thought

Wgharv0

11 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Welcome to the forum.  there's a good group here.  you may find people more willing to drive traffic to your video if you hang out and participate.

I definately plan to and honestly, I thought by posting helpful things like a tutorial is participating.  Isn't that what forums are all about, helping each other out, sharing knowledge and showing off our projects?  I'm just a guy who loves to woodwork as a hobby and am trying my best to give back to the community that has given so much to me over the years.  Almost everything I have learned about fine woodworking has been through forums and youtube.

19 minutes ago, Wgharv0 said:

I definately plan to and honestly, I thought by posting helpful things like a tutorial is participating.  Isn't that what forums are all abou

Welcome to the forums.  We just are a little cautious. We have had in the past, new members that just want to post videos.  But we are happy to have you join us.

I guess I am not sure what you would want me to do.  Like most youtubers, this is not my job.  I personally have a great job and have no desire to ever be a full time maker.  I dont make any measurable amount of money from  youtube, as in less than $1.00 per 1000 views, so it is obviously not about the money.  At the end of the day, I am taking a lot of time to try to help the community grow and learn.  I don't know how to give you a chance to see what I have made other than to drop it on forums such as this.  What is the chance that anyone is going to search for "half mitered dovetails"?  They probably don't even know they exist.  Now, atleast they get a chance to see them and have it in there arsenal for future projects.  Also, because I am spending a large amount of time in the shop, videoing and editing videos I don't have as much time to spend on forums as I did years ago. For years, i was a taker from Forums, soaking up every bit of info I could find.  I am trying to be a giver now and help the community.

I honestly would like any sugestions (as long as they are sincere).  I am trying my best to give back to the community and whould like to know what everyone would prefer.

1 minute ago, Chet K said:

Welcome to the forums.  We just are a little cautious. We have had in the past, new members that just want to post videos.  But we are happy to have you join us.

Thanks Chet!

Well clear stated  intention is a great start.  like Chet mentioned,  people often come in to drop a video without so much as an introduction intending only to take from this forum, which already operates as a loss and not ever give back so I'd say that some of us are defensive of it. This forum is a community with a lot more to offer than hits to a video and we're always looking for another creaton like ourself to join the ranks so welcome again. grab a beer and participate in the show. just don't feed the wild animals. 

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I've seen mitered dovetails before where the top and bottom pin is mitered but never the whole thing. That is cool and doesn't look any more difficult then regular hand cut dovetails. Too bad i struggle enough with machine cut DTs.

I think it is easier than through dovetails.  really as long as you saw your pins and tail to match, its hard to mess up the miter if you make a guide block and have sharp chisels.

Sorry to be a buzz kill,But I think your better off practicing the hidden mitered Dt.

Your cutting away a lot if what makes Dts strong.And adding end grain to the joint.

Ill stick to my Thru or half blind.

I do appreciate the time you took to video and post.Its good to keep thinking of new ways.Something like Dts are time tested and need no further improvements.

Aj

2 hours ago, Aj3 said:

Sorry to be a buzz kill,But I think your better off practicing the hidden mitered Dt.

Your cutting away a lot if what makes Dts strong.And adding end grain to the joint.

Ill stick to my Thru or half blind.

I do appreciate the time you took to video and post.Its good to keep thinking of new ways.Something like Dts are time tested and need no further improvements.

Aj

Think of it more as an improved miter joint than a compromised dovetail joint.  The dovetail miter is also a time-tested and traditional joint...but I personally find it a waste of time.  I'd rather just throw a couple Dominoes in there and be done with it.  As soon as joinery is visible, different story, worth the effort.  But hidden joinery just begs to be done efficiently.  I do respect the old school aspect of it, and if someone enjoys doing it, by all means.  But I'll spend my extra time on things that will make a difference aesthetically or structurally.

• Like 1

Think of it more as an improved miter joint than a compromised dovetail joint.  The dovetail miter is also a time-tested and traditional joint...but I personally find it a waste of time.  I'd rather just throw a couple Dominoes in there and be done with it.  As soon as joinery is visible, different story, worth the effort.  But hidden joinery just begs to be done efficiently.  I do respect the old school aspect of it, and if someone enjoys doing it, by all means.  But I'll spend my extra time on things that will make a difference aesthetically or structurally.

Did you watch his video? He did a half blind mitered dovetail so the pins are exposed. I agree it is a waste of time to do all that work to hide the joinery but in this case he left half exposed.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk