Good Looking Tools

Rex Edgar

Does anyone else  purchase a tool simply because they like the looks of it? I have a four foot level that I have never used. It is wood and brass and has never heard a shot fired in anger. I also have a couple of super accurate squares that I have not used. Help me out, do I have a disease or ar there others that need to start a support group?

Support groups are for quitters and snowflakes. you like pretty tools. Own it.

And no,  your not the only one.  years ago snap on came out with a gunmetal line of rachets. Although I owned them already I bought a fixed 10 inch flex head 12 inch 1/2" fixed and 3/8 72 tooth stubby because I love the way they look. I don't think I've ever had to wipe greasy hand print off of them because I still reach for my Chrome ones not wanting to mess up the gun metal finish

12 minutes ago, Llama said:

While I wouldn't say I bought these only because they look good, but I wouldn't want them if they were ugly. If you want better pics to help your disease, let me know. I still smile when I pull them out :) 

This is most of them: 15555339_10211755276625572_1241272761_o.jpg

Mel, that would make a nice desktop picture for your computer.

1 hour ago, Rex Edgar said:

Does anyone else  purchase a tool simply because they like the looks of it? I have a four foot level that I have never used. It is wood and brass and has never heard a shot fired in anger. I also have a couple of super accurate squares that I have not used. Help me out, do I have a disease or ar there others that need to start a support group?

Guilty! But only when it comes to hand tools. Power tools IDC. 

More often I buy because I like the looks of the finished product it will help me make, because low-quality tools have caused a number of mistakes in previous projects.

I tend to get rid of things fast when they don't serve any function, but it's easy to like beautiful tools and have that be all part of enjoying the craft. Especially with hand tools.

On the other hand there are tool categories where the beautiful tools actually have a lot less functionality than the ugly ones.

For example, in the high end sliding bevels category, in terms of functionality, nothing beats the Starrett 47 (maybe there's a BCTW that does but I'm not sure). Yet most people will spend their money on Vesper's or similar items just because they look great.