Table Saw Dust Collection

Can anybody give me advice on reducing the airborne dust produced by my table saw (Grizzly)? As you know this is a particular problem when cutting MDF. I've tried sealing up the lower part of the saw cabinet and attaching vacuum systems to the blade guard and the inside of the cabinet. I'm convinced that a sealed blade guard would help. Any suggestions....?

32 minutes ago, Hammer5573 said:

Can anybody give me advice on reducing the airborne dust produced by my table saw (Grizzly)? As you know this is a particular problem when cutting MDF. I've tried sealing up the lower part of the saw cabinet and attaching vacuum systems to the blade guard and the inside of the cabinet. I'm convinced that a sealed blade guard would help. Any suggestions....?

Which Grizzly?  I used this : http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-x-6-ft-Polyethylene-Pipe-Insulation-210-lin-ft-Case-PI12346PE/204759152 to seal around the table to cabinet area.  Then duct taped over the louvers in the access door, and then drilled 3 1" holes in the cabinet directly under the door.  This helped a lot.  But without something like this: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Universal-Overarm-Blade-Guard-For-Table-Saws/T10113 you will not capture the above blade dust.

• Like 1

MDF is the worst for fine dust because everything in the kerf turns to fine dust.  The good thing about it being all fines is that if you move enough air, and close any extraneous holes up, you can get it all, since the finer stuff is the easiest to get airborne-same reason it gets all over everything if you aren't moving enough air.  With the rig below, including all the blue masking tape, and a 3hp DC, I can run it in a finished house, and there will be no MDF dust on anything (yes, I've done that).post-14184-0-49507900-1413659084_thumb.jpg

For MDF especially, I think a ceiling mounted air filter is a must. I hate using that stuff because of the massive mess it makes but sometimes it's the right material to use for the project. ALWAYS use a dust mask too. You don't want to be breathing that it.

Aaron