Should I buy this?

Llama

Watching an Irish castle show on Netflix... Got me thinking... hmm.... How much does a castle cost?!? So, off to the Googler! 

Well, not as much as I thought it would. Here is one that I like. 

http://www.my-french-house.com/property-in-france/brittany/chateau/73487/

For just under a million dollars it sounds like a steal. I say go for it.

I just bought my new castle so I'm tapped out.

Truthfully, I'm only half joking about it. I don't think I'll ever buy one, but certainly could. The problem for me would be that I wouldn't want to live there year round... I was really struck by the seemingly low price of a real live castle. :)

We just finished a show that showed a house in California that I was not impressed with for around 10 million... I was thinking, you could buy a castle for that much. Then I saw that you can buy one for a tenth of the price. :o

A little more research shows that I'm not the first one to think of this, as many of the listings for such properties show the nationality of the current owner. Maybe nobody wants the castle owned by an American... There are rules as to what you can do.. codes and such...

Not to mention the horribly small shop size. ;)  

• Like 1

The real estate here in GTA is also bananas as of late.  A townhome sells for close to a million.  Insane.

The burbs are exploding due to the high cost in Toronto, and the trend has spread.  Even 100 km outside of TO a small detached home goes for 600-800k.  That's like a 30% increase from last year alone.

Northern Colorado has seen houses doubling every 5-7 years. Houses that were 250K are now over 500K. Some downtown properties (being nice, as they are total crap tiny houses) are selling for over a million. Those sold for 80K 6 years ago because nobody wanted them.

There really are no houses around here for under 400K. So bottom line, you're renting or paying 500K for a house. And rent is very high, we are paying 2K a month for a three bedroom town house, and the price for the next guy is going to rise by up to 30%. You might get lucky with a fixer upper, but those (under 350K) sell within minutes of hitting the MLS. They don't even bother showing them, there have competing bids with no showings at that price. I don't know how much longer this can be sustained... but, Northern Colorado is 10 years behind pricing trends of Aspen, and they are through the roof. The problem is that even though there is plenty of land, the soil is crap and very hard to build on. Property taxes are much lower than in Wisconsin, so that really helps the buying power. :) 

Looked at your add Llama and I don't know.  It's only 6 bedrooms, and no where do they mention a garage.  And then someone went and messed up the basement by "finishing" it.  So where do you put the workshop, in the gazebo with the ducks and for that price the ducks better be included.  Looks like a no go to me.  Buy the one that Eric is suggesting--then we'll all really show up for a party.    

I bet the property taxes on the French Chateau are a killer, not to mention the heating bill, and the maintenance.  Imagine replacing the roof.  Oh and your wife says the lawn needs mowing.   

There is a near-castle, about a mile down the road from the lumber yard where Jay Bates recently talked about buying a bunch of hickory. Middle of NO. WHERE. Look here on Google Maps or Earth: 35.006197,-88.879913.

Current estimated value: $1.7M, over 12k sq feet on about 100 acres. Plus a 'guest house' larger than my home.

Place is about 45 minutes from me.

Llama, wanna be neighbors?