Compound bow grips

Tom Cancelleri

I've been into archery as of late. I shot recurve when I was a kid and was given a nice recurve for Christmas by my girlfriend. I recently picked up a compound bow to mess around with to see if I liked it. I bought a lightly used Bowtech The Rock compound bow that was set for my draw and draw weight already.

The hand grips are beyond uncomfortable and they're bulky and looked like crap. So I said let's see if I can buy new grips. I could, but they're about 100 bucks for ebony grips. I decided I could make em. @shaneymack and @Brendon_t will probably appreciate this. 

c33a0ea99655f00bd138763973d816c7.jpg17b8c5dd3d99ce61bb842696d49e373c.jpg

Delicious chocolate plane shavings.

64370c66a6be41b1e7ab6b2afe1c84e4.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I do appreciate this !! I did a double take at the title thread cause I didn't realize you shot a bow !! Now there are two things we gotta do when you come up and visit these parts:

1- Go to Tim Hortons

2- Shoot our bows

I guess there are three:

3- Eat poutine

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm going to sand then to 1200 after they are drilled and set up for mounting. Hit them with some wax, and then shine them up with the buffing wheel on my lathe. Right now I'm debating if I want to drill them, or use double sided turning tape to keep them on.

2 hours ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

I'm going to sand then to 1200 after they are drilled and set up for mounting. Hit them with some wax, and then shine them up with the buffing wheel on my lathe. Right now I'm debating if I want to drill them, or use double sided turning tape to keep them on.

If turners tape is strong enough use that, drilling will destroy the look!  Wonderful looking scales, I never would have thought to use ebony. 

• Like 1

Tom, those look great! I think you should drill them. Turner's tape is pretty good, but maybe not for a permanent mounting solution. It would be terribly embarassing to have them fall of the first time you and Shane make it out to the range!

Maybe that's the plan, off to Shane's shop to sculpt more grips!

• Like 2

Sorry man, just getting caught up. Sweet  grip plates. I agree that the bowtek grips are horrendous.

For me, Turner's tape is 100% out of the question. They really need to be fastened.  While drawing into the wall, the muscle pad under your pointer finger  puts a lot of pressure and torque  on the plates until you lock into the wall and settle the riser into your palm.  

Years ago, Hoyt released a riser for the powertec toothache had removable friction for plates. They quickly found it was a mistake and stopped making it.

• Like 1

Those grips look like fine sculpture!   I would have practiced on the original grips to get the shape to fit your hand. 

Always had plenty of strength to pull the bow but I can't aim unless the target is at arms length !

I thought about doing that, then I said screw it, I'll get it right the first time... I hope! I kept the bow in the shop and kept test fitting and checking for comfort. There's a little milled spot in the aluminum riser to fit the shape of the grip plates. Once it dries, I'll shoot a few arrows and see how it goes. My best analogy for how the original grips felt would be using a square handled screwdriver.

Nice design...most grips are generic that don't fit 85% of shooters.  I would think that double sided tape would work but might let go in hot weather.  SS screws would give a bit of contrast and bling to the plain black color.  BTW, my wife and I are into archery.  I'm also a NASP instructor, working with a local elementary school.  Keep them in the X ring! 

I want to take some time and build a longbow. 

• Like 1

Those grips are killer man.  Great job.  Ebony was a good call.  Time for zombies.

giphy.gif

Thanks E

Now I need to find projects to use the rest of this ebony on. I love the way it works. Aside from a turning a pen, and sitting a fretboard and sanding it, this was the only time I really got to play with ebony.

Yeah it works surprisingly well.  Planes and sands nicely.  I reserve my block of ebony for small accents.  I always laugh at myself at the tiny scraps I'll hold onto...have a little baggy of them with pieces as small as a nickel in it. LOL