GoFundMe

Coop

I need a connection, a voice that can speak for the need. Eric raised for someone because those in this community trusted Eric's assessment of the need. When I can get that, I give with the philosophy mentioned above. The money may buy Friday pizza. They are still on the hook for the bills. My needs are more than met. I will not miss the gift for long if at all. 

People tend to forget that small indulgences are helpful in times of stress. If money I give allows someone to spend an evening eating out and helps them forget their troubles for a bit where they wouldn't have had the option prior, that's not a bad thing.

That said, I'm not sure that tattoos or drones fall in that category... :P

• Like 1

Just now, MisterDrow said:

People tend to forget that small indulgences are helpful in times of stress. If money I give allows someone to spend an evening eating out and helps them forget their troubles for a bit where they wouldn't have had the option prior, that's not a bad thing.

If my post left you thinking I was saying the opposite then I worded it badly. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Go fund me= modern day hobo

9fa5cc919da7d9670a9a962bf0120450.jpg

Unfortunately here, our supreme court(in ky) overturned a law that made panhandling illegal, so those a-holes are freaking everywhereeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. They're literally at most major road stop lights, and most aren't actually people in need, just lazy and don't want to work.  They also work in teams, have seen "shift change" where a new begger would walk up to where one was, and the one "working" would give the other his sign and leave.  The city even came up with a plan to try to fix the problem, they have a van that goes around and offers work for the panhandlers, like $9 or $10 an hour.  Problem with that is they probably make more begging.  A local radio guy dressed up to look homeless and begged for 3 hours and made $150. 

20 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Go fund me= modern day hobo

9fa5cc919da7d9670a9a962bf0120450.jpg

Unfortunately here, our supreme court(in ky) overturned a law that made panhandling illegal, so those a-holes are freaking everywhereeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. They're literally at most major road stop lights, and most aren't actually people in need, just lazy and don't want to work.  They also work in teams, have seen "shift change" where a new begger would walk up to where one was, and the one "working" would give the other his sign and leave.  The city even came up with a plan to try to fix the problem, they have a van that goes around and offers work for the panhandlers, like $9 or $10 an hour.  Problem with that is they probably make more begging.  A local radio guy dressed up to look homeless and begged for 3 hours and made $150. 

22 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

In 5 weeks, I'll be spending my years vacation building a duplex home and digging trenches for a water pipe that will bring water to a village in central Guatemala and half the cost was covered by pass through donations directly to the non profit. Im glad the donors who gave weren't so worried about an idiot with a drone or someone too lazy to work.

It's one thing to donate to an actual organization knowing your funds should be helping those in need.  It's another to donate to someone on the side of the road holding a sign.  Couple weeks ago I saw one holding a sign asking for money because he was hungry, someone gave him a banana, he threw it in the brush when they drove off.  Saw one over the weekend where a couple actually brought their two kids to the side of a road begging, bet they cleaned up that day.

Another case and point, this happened in the city where I work. 

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to create foes from friends. I am just pissed that this baby maker sits by the window, watching for her check to arrive while letting me know that I could contribute to her conduct. And I'm by no means being racist as she and I could have the same momma and daddy (Lord forbid). Brendon and others that contribute your time and money to help those that need it, are to be commended. For the guy in the wheel chair and others like him, may they develop a flat tire or worse. "And that's all I have to say about that". 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Ok, I guess I'll play.

i don't dismiss charities at all - we have a structured approach to evaluating and funding charities that probably accounts for 95% of our giving (even though a few of these are not tax deductible.)

That said, I do occasionally decide (trust my gut) that an individual really needs help, and will either buy him (and hand him the) food, or VERY occasionally hand over cash.  

I handed over some cash for a vet to make his way home from O'hare, several years ago (wife had an assignment in Shaumburg.)  Several months later my brother visited us and handed over cash to get the same vet home from O'hare.  We had a good laugh about that (my wife laughed the most.)  The "vet" was really persuasive; he probably has a nice car to drive himself to his nice home, by now!

Brendon - I think your anger is misdirected a bit.  Coop's original point was scammers suck, and gofundme is a new tool that scammers use.  Scammers make it more difficult for folks with legitimate causes to get help.   Yes, legitimate is in the eye of the beholder.  On the one hand, I think it is cool that a bunch of D&D guys will pay to send Drow's buddy to Narnia   On the other hand, he could skip a few weekends of magic and go deliver pizza.  

We don't need to get into a bragging contest about who does what for charity.  Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have that covered (as they both try to cleanse their legacies.... I could go off on how Warren Buffet is Gordon Gecko is grampa'a sweater :)).   

Overall, I do like gofundme (and similar platforms).   I am at the age (knocking on 40) where a few my high school classmates are dying every year (suicide, accidents, disease), leaving young children behind.  $100 goes a long way toward covering funeral expenses or diapers for a week.  

But I do share Coop's frustration with people who were raised wrong.  Just look at the rise in SS disability payments.   It is the new federal welfare.   

First and foremost, I have no issue donating time & money to valid and known charities, or to offer assistance to people I know who are down on their luck.  That said, I will not give money to random people on the street.  That further said, I will help them if needed.  Case in point, I came out of work at my last employeer, which was a hospital.  A young lady drove up to me who she said her kid was transferred to the closest children's hospital about 30 miles away, and she didn't have enough fuel to get there.  I had her meet me at a nearby gas station, where I prepaid for her pump, and she got her fuel.  My current job I work in a downtown region, and at least once a week I get hit up for money, which I will decline.  I have on more than one occasion seen people give these various people money only to see the recipient walking in to the store to buy beer, or walking to one of the known crack houses.  Recently, I have seen a lot of the professional groups of pan handlers working various high traffic corners in the area.  Unfortunately this has become a big problem in many areas, and there has been minimal legal recourse to prevent the abusers from growing.  I would much rather give money to the local charities that do offer help to those who are truly homeless and are in need of assistance.  

As for crowd funding, I gave once for my cousin who was raising money to replace non-working mini-fridges in patient rooms at the local hospice.  That ended up being successful.  I also think of those like NedB who ripped off many including some of our fellow woodworkers by putting out a bogus kickstarter for his cutting board "business", likely making it far more difficult, if not impossible, for one of us to legitimately use that as a way to start a business.  It is sad, but it is an example that the few can ruin things for the majority.

• Like 1

Old, but gold 

Some of you might of seen some of the half arsed rubbish I did on youtube. A few people said I should do  a "go fund me". I'm glad I did not take it forward, I would of felt like crap about it when I decided it was not a good thing for me and quit.

As mentioned so far, there are some very worthy causes and it's true, once it leaves your hands, it's never worth thinking of again. I too would give, but only carefully once I understood the potential benefit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikem said:

My current job I work in a downtown region, and at least once a week I get hit up for money, which I will decline.

Oh to be so lucky...  My walk from the downtown train station to my office (and back at the end of the day) is literally 3.5 blocks (0.3 miles according to Google Maps).   Every single day both directions I will pass 2+ standing/sitting begging for money with signs or constant whining/crying sounds...and at least one other will try to start talking to you or even step in front of you to force you to acknowledge them. Every. Single. Day. Both. Directions.

I never give panhandlers money. What I will do is give them some food. I normally have a pack of crackers or something in my car. When I do I will give to a person in need. I also keep a small zip lock bag of dog food to give to a homeless person with a dog. I started doing this in San Diego when I passed a homeless person with a dog everyday and would give the dog a small bag of food. The gentleman was very grateful that his dog wasnt going hungry. 

1 hour ago, Vyrolan said:

Oh to be so lucky...  My walk from the downtown train station to my office (and back at the end of the day) is literally 3.5 blocks (0.3 miles according to Google Maps).   Every single day both directions I will pass 2+ standing/sitting begging for money with signs or constant whining/crying sounds...and at least one other will try to start talking to you or even step in front of you to force you to acknowledge them. Every. Single. Day. Both. Directions.

I walk 1.5 miles across the Loop.  I will count on my way home today, but I bet I pass at least 20 pan handlers.  Maybe more.  There is one lady on Madison who will always jump in front of people like she is going to punch them, and then she just stands to the side. 

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

I walk 1.5 miles across the Loop.  I will count on my way home today, but I bet I pass at least 20 pan handlers.  Maybe more.  There is one lady on Madison who will always jump in front of people like she is going to punch them, and then she just stands to the side. 

I believe it easily...and it's the same 20 in the same spots every day LOL.

6 minutes ago, G S Haydon said:

Thanks! I enjoyed doing them, it's just surprising how it can drag you away from what you want to be doing.  

Holy Brit. Welcome back Graham.  Haven't seen you around in a minute. Hope things are well on your side of the pond.

• Like 1