GoFundMe

Coop

Last summer some dude drank a 30 pack of Busch Light and was being a jackass with fireworks and blew his hand off. Of course when the local TV interviewed his brother he was like "hey we have a GoFundMe set up for him". I agree there are some good reasons for GoFundMe but there are also a lot of WTF GoFundMe's these days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

My wife won't let me vent, so this is my other outlet. ...But, I have a neighbor that ... sits on her fat ass all day, eating bon bons, smoking cigs and a new tat every other week. She had the gall this past weekend to wottle over and inform me she has set up her own "page" to help her pay her bills. ...

I sympathize.  Especially with a neighbor, so it's pretty much in your face.

You help me realize how blessed I am to have industrious neighbors - this Saturday they'll all be out for neighborhood clean-up day.  If any of them ever starts a "Go Fund Me" page, I won't even have to question it's integrity.

11 minutes ago, MisterDrow said:

I have a question, though... what about life events that happen which are happy?

I know a guy who works very hard for his family, his wife is has a whole host of medical problems that prevent her from holding down a normal job, and they often struggle to keep food on the table. They are also about the most giving and generous family I know considering the resources they have. They don't have money but often give their time and energy to others in the community and his wife volunteers at the local animal shelter, as well.

I met him through my local Highland Games group. He competes in lots of local and regional events and is quite good... so much so that two years ago he was invited to compete in the World Championship games in Inverness, Scotland. An invite doesn't pay for the trip, though, so after some prompting, he put up a GoFundMe page to raise money for it. Many of us donated, many more I don't know also donated, and in the end he was able to go with his wife on the trip of a lifetime for them and he was able to compete (and did quite well considering how big many of those guys are!) and build some amazing memories.

He got a lot of flak for that GoFundMe campaign, though. People told him it was disgusting for him to ask for a paid vacation when others work so hard to save up for less, among many worse insults. He didn't care about getting a free ride, he was just taking a chance to see if he could realize a dream that he would never be able to make happen otherwise.

I wouldn't have contributed to that cause. Now if he asked money for his wife to take an Ikebana course or whatever, so she could work at home and so maybe in the future they could fulfill their dreams, after some hard work of course, then yes, I would've probably contributed considering they're nice to the community.

• Like 1

Just now, Immortan D said:

I wouldn't have contributed to that cause. Now if he asked money for his wife to take an Ikebana course or whatever, so she could work at home and so maybe in the future they could fulfill their dreams, after some hard work of course, then yes, I would've probably contributed considering they're nice to the community.

And honestly that's fine. For us in the HG community it was about helping a giving and generous friend to have a once in a lifetime experience. I think it was mostly our community who gave to that cause but I know there were a few large donations that were given by people none of the rest of us knew. 

I don't think I would have given to the cause had I not known the guy, but I don't necessarily fault those types of campaigns, either. It's up to me to whom I open my wallet.

• Like 1

Bottom line, anyone can ask for money. Doesn't matter if it's panhandling, GoFundMe, etc. People have been doing it for centuries. No one is obligated to give and I do myself a disservice by seeking to find any hidden agenda the person may or may not have in that it only makes me into a more bitter and less compassionate person (at least I have found... your mileage may vary).

• Like 2

My wife and I ride Harley's in a club and we are approached all the time by folks who need a "fundraiser."  Most ridiculous was a woman who twisted her ankle and wanted us to put on a ride to help pay her bills because she would be out of work for a couple of weeks.  When I told her it would be three months before we could pull one together she said, "I thought bikers liked to help people.  I guess it's true that bikers are a bunch of low-lifes that only care about booze and tits."  My only reply was, "Yep, we love both of those, but you, not so much."  She stormed off.  Afterwards my wife jokingly said, "I almost flashed her my boobs."  RFLOL.  

I'm always happy to help someone who is truly in a tough spot but there is so much of the thing Coop talked about going on today that it's harder to weed out the needy from the greedy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MisterDrow said:

No matter the cause, I have accepted that if I donate or give money to someone in need (and I mean in actual need, not funding a vacation or whatever), once it leaves my hand I have zero control and zero say over where that money goes.

Same goes with panhandlers. Many of them I see around here are the 'professional' type and have been doing it for years now. Occasionally I will see someone who I just get a feeling needs help. Call it spiritual/divine/whatever, many of you know that feeling. I used to always dismiss it and say, "He/she will probably just buy drugs/alcohol with it.

I stopped giving money to panhandlers. Now I will give them a sandwich, or coffee, or something like that. Then I know at least they are eating, and are not tempted to spend the cash on booze or drugs.

Just now, Pug said:

I stopped giving money to panhandlers. Now I will give them a sandwich, or coffee, or something like that. Then I know at least they are eating, and are not tempted to spend the cash on booze or drugs.

Haven't done it myself, but I know folks who pack aid-kits in big ziplocs for homeless and beggars. Keep them in their cars to hand out. Energy/meal bars, vitamins, toiletries and such.

• Like 1