Is there a practical difference

Ronn W

30 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

For the record, I called BS on Daniels 2nd and 3rd points. I agree that the extra weight could be helpful. Inertia is a real thing apparently.

The advantages of the chip breaker have been demonstrated by real science, I mean YouTube videos :D

I can't find the link, but it doesn't matter, because I know the chip breaker is a good thing.

• Like 1

The advantages of the chip breaker have been demonstrated by real science, I mean YouTube videos default_biggrin.png

I can't find the link, but it doesn't matter, because I know the chip breaker is a good thing.

Well if youtube told you, who the heck am I to argue?? LOL

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Technically the adjustable mouth on BU planes is supposed to make up for the lack of the chip breaker.  But I do agree that having a chip breaker is a more fool-proof way of reducing tearout than not having one.  I'm a bevel down guy, through and through.  I only use my BU planes for end grain anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric. said:

Technically the adjustable mouth on BU planes is supposed to make up for the lack of the chip breaker.  But I do agree that having a chip breaker is a more fool-proof way of reducing tearout than not having one.  I'm a bevel down guy, through and through.  I only use my BU planes for end grain anymore.

Ditto.

4 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

My point is this, the sharing of a one faceted video can lead to incorrect assumptions. I think your text with a link did not really make a well supported argument and just tacking on a ditto to Eric's reply didn't not fix it. Single irons work. Double irons work. Bevel ups work. They all will do more than most users can get out of them. Sharp matters most. Chasing silver bullets or assuming everyone will have a similar experience to our own is the dog chasing its tail. 

Now this really is BS.

With all the BS flying around in this conversation, I hesitate to add my "crap." 

I own, use, and like both BD and BU planes. I bought BU (one LN and one LV) because my friends (along with the forums) said it would solve all my problems with gnarly grains. Well, I guess having less cash has certainly led to buying less wood, hence, lessening my problem--but I digress.

On end grain, the BU is certainly in it's sweet spot. When I want the final finish pass on any grain, again, the BU is just superb at producing the finest shavings. OTOH, after buying and loving the BU planes, I improved my sharpening kit and skills, and guess what? Gnarly grain yields quite well to realllllly sharp BD planes (with chip breakers, of course). And I'm referring to normal Stanley Bailey planes (types 10-19, fours, fives, or sixes). My new goal, is to move to a freshly sharpened plane blade for gnarly grain--for me, that's 10,000 or 13,000 grit sharp.

Of course, BU planes work even "more better" when excessively sharpened... which is a by-product of having less money to buy the wood for building projects since I bought all these necessary planes.

:)

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

The biggest advantage I have observed in BU over BD planes, is that most of the BU designs I see have ample room around the tote, whereas my BD planes are all knuckle-busters. Almost all.

Which is why I prefer them. (and they're better) ;) :ph34r:B)