Felder AD941

Llama

Hey Mel been looking into this more with IWF coming Up I figured they be running sales and I am starting to see how you ended up with the AD941. I really would rather have the size of the AD741 in my shop but the pricing really pushes you the other way. I'm getting quotes of $1000 more for the 941 but it includes the Euro guard which is a $275 option so you are really looking at a price difference of $725 but I just don't know if the bigger foot print will work in my shop...decisions decisions...might have to ponder this a bit longer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Hey Mel been looking into this more with IWF coming Up I figured they be running sales and I am starting to see how you ended up with the AD941. I really would rather have the size of the AD741 in my shop but the pricing really pushes you the other way. I'm getting quotes of $1000 more for the 941 but it includes the Euro guard which is a $275 option so you are really looking at a price difference of $725 but I just don't know if the bigger foot print will work in my shop...decisions decisions...might have to ponder this a bit longer. 

Yep! When I bought mine, I also got a $500 shipping credit and a "free" service kit for it. There was really no difference in price. 

Funny you mention this now... I've had the AD941 for 1 year and a day. Still love it! :) 

• Like 2

Paul, if you can possibly make it work in your space I'd definitely go for the 941. The 4 post planer table support alone is worth that. I think once you see them in person you'll appreciate the difference. The 941 is a lifetime machine. You'll never have to trade up.

16 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Paul, if you can possibly make it work in your space I'd definitely go for the 941. The 4 post planer table support alone is worth that. I think once you see them in person you'll appreciate the difference. The 941 is a lifetime machine. You'll never have to trade up.

Kinda what I'm thinking and after seeing Mel's last year I know it is an awesome machine. I think I will take a piece of 2" foam, I have out in the shop, and cut it down to the 941 dimensions, put it on top of the A3/31, and see how many times I bump into it over the next couple of weeks :)

• Like 1

Just saw this and not sure if used interests you, but there is a 20" felder combo for sale in the southeast, if i remember correctly. Maybe Florida or Georgia? It was $3-3500 3 phase. Obviously not as plug and play as a new unit from the factory, but thought i would pass along if you had any interest. I can personally vouch for how annoying and frustrating it is to transport machines like these, but so far its been worth it. Knock on wood that holds true for my latest delivery on wednesday. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen that one.   There is one in S.C., with little use, for 11,900, but I thought you could buy a new one for that.    I'd be glad to get just a jointer for 3500.

Thanks for the link Mick!  I had been to that page, but must have been too lazy to go past "Featured Exhibitors".

17 hours ago, Tom King said:

I haven't seen that one.   There is one in S.C., with little use, for 11,900, but I thought you could buy a new one for that.    I'd be glad to get just a jointer for 3500.

Thanks for the link Mick!  I had been to that page, but must have been too lazy to go past "Featured Exhibitors".

Its this guy

https://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/6651650729.html

Its a 700 series, and i think they stopped making a 20" combo in the 700 series in the late 90s. Dont quote me on when production stopped, but ive never seen a chartreuse era 700 series 51 cm machine. I think they switch colors from the dark green to lime green around 2003ish. Now you can only get a 900 series 20" machine or the Dual51. I just paid less than that for a 20" jointer, but $3500 is a pretty good price on a 20" combo. They certainly do not come up often on the used market. Honestly, finding a 20" jointer worth owning was quite a struggle for me. There was a Dual 51 in california months ago for something close to ten grand, i think theres a 751 on ebay for $8-9k, some 20" italian combo from the 70s-80s i didnt recognize for $2500 in upstate new york, and thats just about it for 20" combos in the last 12+ months. Recapping it makes the orlando machine seem like a bit of a bargain. I can only remember 3-4 stand a lone 20" jointers of the last 1-2 years too. Anything over 12" doesnt seem to be that common on the auction sites or craigslist. 

I havent used too many 900 series machines, but i do have a 700 series KF700, and its a decent step up to the 900s. I have no idea what pricing is on the JP or saws between 700 and 900, but i always seemed to think the 900 was just a little more. I also prefer the blue over the charcoal gray. Kind of a lame transition from a sweet green to charcoal gray. 

• 2 weeks later...

When I started this adventure, I was offered a used 20" Format J/P for around 7K delivered. I decided against it because it wasn't helical and it was 3 phase. Looking back I'm glad I got the 16", even though it would be nice to have a 20" :)

There has been once in the last year that the 20" would have been nice...