Felder AD941

Llama

1 hour ago, Llama said:

Took a pic for you. There is a locking handle on the end. The entire fence just slides on the rail, I use that handle to move the fence. Very steady in use. Looks like it wouldn't be. 

598b6c2e3df20_2017-08-0913_59_59.thumb.jpg.d43a29e3fcea35ce12f2e24f277886ff.jpg

Very similar to the hammer, but obviously more robust. On my Hammer, there is a nob on the backside near the cutter (see image below) that helps stabilize the fence. It is attached to a very floppy piece of sheet metal. I may add some type of brace to it just for piece of mind.

IMG_2693_edited-2.jpg

• Like 1

There is a Hammer A3 26 on my local Craigslist that they've dropped to $2k from $3500 in the past two weeks.  A short jointer bed at 46'ish inches and just 10" of planer capacity, but I can't say I haven't thought about tossing $1500 in front of their face and seeing if I get smacked. 

9 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

There is a Hammer A3 26 on my local Craigslist that they've dropped to $2k from $3500 in the past two weeks.  A short jointer bed at 46'ish inches and just 10" of planer capacity, but I can't say I haven't thought about tossing $1500 in front of their face and seeing if I get smacked. 

For $1500 it might be worth it! 

I can't see using a 10" planer as a primary. But, you aren't going to find a 10" jointer for that price! Just leave it in jointer mode and get the extension tables! :)

2 minutes ago, Llama said:

For $1500 it might be worth it! 

I can't see using a 10" planer as a primary. But, you aren't going to find a 10" jointer for that price! Just leave it in jointer mode and get the extension tables! :)

It actually comes with extension tables, I just haven't researched them.  I posted this mostly in jest because I don't think I would be happy with a 10" planer...but ehhhhhh....ya never know. I'll watch it and mull it over.  

I also don't have any idea how I could move a 500 pound machine through my yard to my basement.   

1 minute ago, bleedinblue said:

It actually comes with extension tables, I just haven't researched them.  I posted this mostly in jest because I don't think I would be happy with a 10" planer...but ehhhhhh....ya never know. I'll watch it and mull it over. 

I'd buy it if I didn't have a larger jointer. The Hammer is a great machine. 

3 minutes ago, Unknown craftsman said:

Nice fiddle on that walnut but I do see some tear out near the bottom.

Oh wait that was some jelly on my iPad screen my bad.^_^

How big is the cutting circle or diameter of the head just curious

Aj

I'd have to measure it... I'm guessing around 4-5" is a safe guess.

And yeah, that's jelly on your iPad. ;) 

Had a chance to see this machine up close and personal today and it's amazing! The cut quality was amazing and I was surprised how quiet it was. Definitely a pro quality machine with all the bells and whistles. Mel thanks again for taking time out of your day to show me around the machine and talk shop! I really enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Had a chance to see this machine up close and personal today and it's amazing! The cut quality was amazing and I was surprised how quiet it was. Definitely a pro quality machine with all the bells and whistles. Mel thanks again for taking time out of your day to show me around the machine and talk shop! I really enjoyed it. 

Thanks for stopping by! It was really nice to meet you. Had a great time talking about this crazy hobby :) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2017 at 2:41 PM, Pwk5017 said:

It is worth it to get the catalog and go through each model's detail callouts. That helps explain some of the differences, but im sure a felder rep would do an even better job of explaining differences. If you read through the product review thread of the A3 41, you will see i express a few similar questions as you. If you register with felder, you can log in and see the list prices. Keep in mind their list prices are similar to a car's sticker price. There is some wiggle room.

A3 41 - $4100

AD741 - $9,190

AD941 - $11,190

Another detail to keep in mind when you login to the FelderGroupUSA.com website is the price you'll see for the j/p's for example are for standard machine configurations. That doesn't include the optional upgrades like Silent Power Cutterblock, Powerdrive (electrical height adjustment of the planer bed with LED display), etc. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Jordan said:

Another detail to keep in mind when you login to the FelderGroupUSA.com website is the price you'll see for the j/p's for example are for standard machine configurations. That doesn't include the optional upgrades like Silent Power Cutterblock, Powerdrive (electrical height adjustment of the planer bed with LED display), etc. 

The sales generally couple the most purchased options. When I got my AD941, they included a bunch of cool things. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Llama said:

The sales generally couple the most purchased options. When I got my AD941, they included a bunch of cool things. 

You're right about that. And you really got a great deal with the 60th year anniversary price, extra options and $500 in shipping support. Unfortunately that deal is not available any more.