Felder AD941

Llama

11 hours ago, Llama said:

Different mechanism for raising the planer bed. The 941 is more robust... Different guard raising thing too. Everything is more robust on the 9 series.

Well, I am hoping the 741 is a prototypical awesome Felder product.  I am on the verge of giving up on my old-school Northfields and going with Felder tools, mainly because I am starting to really hate the poor (or maybe non-existing) dust collection on my current tools.  I am thinking of going with the AD 741 combo machine along with a few other goodies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, estesbubba said:

Did you do Eric's new machine cosmoline tradition?

Um, only Grizzly has cosmoline ;)

46 minutes ago, wnaziri said:

I am thinking of going with the AD 741 combo machine along with a few other goodies.

I didn't mean to say anything bad about any other machine, sorry if it came across like that. I was going to buy that one too. But it was actually less money for the AD941 because of the special. 

28 minutes ago, Llama said:

I didn't mean to say anything bad about any other machine, sorry if it came across like that. I was going to buy that one too. But it was actually less money for the AD941 because of the special.

I did not take any other way.  No need to apologize.  

You are correct about your assessment when I talked to Felder people.  I realized there is always a better mousetrap.  I suppose I could buy an industrial Format jointer / planer but I am going to draw the line at AD 741.  It think it will be far superior to most machines made today.  Since I am asking Felder to do all my shop tools, I need to choose based on my budget.  

On another note, I really look forward to hearing your thoughts on the tool once you start using it.  I have never used a Felder tool.

• Like 2

Wooooo Weeee! Have you wired it up and turned it on?? Lump me in with the rest looking forward to review and use. Did you pay for the commissioning? Ive read the combo J/P are virtually impossible to self-help. Heck, to that degree the sliders are also near impossible to calibrate. Curious if this thing is perfect out of the crate or not. 

Loved the ding joke, coop. 

• Like 1

Thats a great Machine. I was at the AWFS and they had this machine set up running demos. Its was impressive. Made me really jealous, being as i was there to buy a Hammer 16" jointer/ planer. I know the feeling on waiting. My hammer is expected to be delivered in the middle of October.  Congrats on a fine machine. 

3 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

Did you pay for the commissioning?

No... The local rep can help out with anything if something comes up. I spent enough as it is man!

Everything appears to be fine... at least as much as I can tell right now... My guy is coming over Friday, and I'll run some wood through it.

About to go put the fence on... that joker is heavy!!! 

I'm getting confused, could someone summarize the differences between the Hammer A3 41, Felder AD741, and AD941 as well as the approximate cost differences between them? My dream tool is a 16" J/P (don't have space for separates in this class), and I'm saving up... (at about $3k). Until this thread I thought the Hammer was the dream machine :-)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bglenden said:

I'm getting confused, could someone summarize the differences between the Hammer A3 41, Felder AD741, and AD941 as well as the approximate cost differences between them? My dream tool is a 16" J/P (don't have space for separates in this class), and I'm saving up... (at about $3k). Until this thread I thought the Hammer was the dream machine :-)

It is worth it to get the catalog and go through each model's detail callouts. That helps explain some of the differences, but im sure a felder rep would do an even better job of explaining differences. If you read through the product review thread of the A3 41, you will see i express a few similar questions as you. If you register with felder, you can log in and see the list prices. Keep in mind their list prices are similar to a car's sticker price. There is some wiggle room.

A3 41 - $4100

AD741 - $9,190

AD941 - $11,190

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Llama said:

No... The local rep can help out with anything if something comes up. I spent enough as it is man!

Everything appears to be fine... at least as much as I can tell right now... My guy is coming over Friday, and I'll run some wood through it.

About to go put the fence on... that joker is heavy!!! 

What is commissioning?  Is that like someone comes to set it up for you?

How close is your local rep?  Do they have them all over the country?

2 hours ago, bglenden said:

Did you see my thought process on the other thread? I'll post it here for clarity. 

Here was my my thought process:

I was going to buy the A3-41 that Matt was kind enough to review for us. Then I got to thinking about the bed length and the damn pirate ship hand wheel.

Then I learned about the electronic mechanism to raise and lower the planer beds with digital readout. I needed this... I plan on having this machine for hopefully the rest of my life, and the thought of that pirate wheel really turned me off. 

So, that brought me up to the Felder AD741 because Hammer does not (yet) offer that feature on their line. So I was set on the AD741.

Then something great happened... The almighty AD941 went on sale. :o 

So, in the end I bought the AD941 due to the increased bed length (nearly 8') and upgraded planer mechanism. (not only the electronic mechanism, but the AD941 has a better design which is much more robust than the AD741.) The AD941 also included a little maintenance kit, the Euro comfort guard, and shipping assistance. (credit towards shipping). I ended up with the AD941 for less money than the AD741 would have cost me. Plus the extras were icing on the cake.

To address the other comments, the Hammer units are certainly geared toward the hobby guys looking for a really nice machine. The Felder equipment is what you'd see in a pro shop. Meant to really take a beating over the years. Truly a no compromise machine. All of this comes at a price.

Then we can get into why I chose to buy a combo unit... I'd be happy to go over that

2 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

felder rep

Yep... Very helpful people.

1 hour ago, bgreenb said:

I read where someone had their machine commissioned by Felder and it cost $300-$500.  Which on a $10K machine isn't horrible.

1 hour ago, bgreenb said:

Yeah, they send a tech out to setup and calibrate the machine. Depending on location, i think the tech actually delivers the machine as well as setting it up. It depends on location, because they charge by the hour, but i believe the average is like $500 for a J/P and about $1000 for a slider.