Felder AD941

Llama

2 minutes ago, Unknown craftsman said:

I saw that I meant, Is there a blog link where conversation are taking place maybe that's private on your phone?

The machine is nice love the whisper quietness and the zing of the knives hope your dust collector doesn't change it too much.:)

Aj

I wish... that's one of the major flaws of the live videos... once it goes post live, the comments dissapear.

I try my best to not just answer the question when it happens. I'm usually much better at it, but I was super excited today :) 

Got the DC adapter today. Works very well!

For the hell of it, I milled up some spalted elm (maybe Tamarind??)... punky stuff... and has a knot hole... just to see how it did.

I think it turned out well! Took about 5 mins total, with the changeover. Board is around 10" wide or so, I should measure... I'm guessing. 

This is after two passes on the jointer.

59861a2a3485d_2017-08-0512_48_30.thumb.jpg.a76b8a43a59dbb9acf2b8311b4d135f6.jpg

These are after the planer. 

2017-08-05 12.59.57.jpg

59861a624be20_2017-08-0513_00_15.thumb.jpg.f6f575949ddb6aff91227664d9ba527c.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tom King said:

That's a wonderful machine!  How much is the bigger one?

How much bigger do you want to go? I don't have pricing, but I think Format (Felders big brother) has a 25" combo. They have separates for those, just not 100% sure on the combo. I know they have a 20" combo unit. I don't know the pricing for a new one. I was afraid to ask. :)  And I think you have to have 3 phase for those, which I was not interested in.

I did run across a used 20" Format combo when I was searching, that was around the same price as my Felder. 3 phase and had Tersa head. Those two things knocked it out of contention for me. Your situation may be different. The reps are very helpful.

5 minutes ago, Tom King said:

The 20" was what I was asking about.  I had looked at their website. I don't need one bad enough to put the money in it.  I was just curious.  If I were setting up a new shop, one of those would be at the top of the list, right beside a slider.

A slider will happen... I have a 2-3 year plan for that... Probably get a bigger bandsaw first though.. And upgrade my DC, and get AC in my shop... ugh.. so many things! :) 

1 minute ago, Tom King said:

I registered on their site, so I could see the prices.   The 951 is 14,550.   Their 27 or 8 inch bandsaw (710-I think) is 5695.   Those are list prices, and I'm actually a little surprised that these prices seem reasonable to me.

Is that the Format Dual 951? List pricing is generally their actual pricing unless they are running a special. 

1 hour ago, wnaziri said:

You did one helluva job.  I also got the K4 slider, FB 610, aaaaand the RL 160.  

I will be applying for food stamps next week.  :angry:

With the exception of the K4, you now have my buddy's shop. He has the KF700S, 741, FB610, RL160 and the standalone slot mortiser. 

50 minutes ago, Mick S said:

With the exception of the K4, you now have my buddy's shop. He has the KF700S, 741, FB610, RL160 and the standalone slot mortiser. 

Funny you mentioned that.  My last email from the Felder salesman was a new quote telling me that KF700S was the better buy.  However, the discounted prices are closed out but he thinks Felder will have another good sale around Christmas.  So, he may end up talking me into the 700S, if the price is not too much higher.

41 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Mel should get a commission, and I expect there will be more to come.  I was more impressed by Mel's video, than anything I saw on their website, and all it took was to show off what the machine could do, and how easily it operates.

Tell Felder that! :)

Is your fence only connected at the infeed end of the table? It appears that way. The one on my Hammer is too, but has a knob to lock it down in the middle (although it is on a flimsy piece of sheet steel. I am thinking of welding on something stronger just to easy my mind. 

2 hours ago, Cygnus A said:

Is your fence only connected at the infeed end of the table? It appears that way. The one on my Hammer is too, but has a knob to lock it down in the middle (although it is on a flimsy piece of sheet steel. I am thinking of welding on something stronger just to easy my mind. 

The fence is only connected at the infeed table. Slides very smoothly, and there is very little play if at all in the fence. I can get the fence to move if I push really hard, but in actual usage, the fence does not move. And most importantly, I am getting perfectly 90 degree edges no matter where I lock the fence. The locking mechanism on mine is on the infeed side. I can take pics of it if you want. 

The fence on this machine is not flimsy at all. It's very heavy by itself, and really took some effort to install. However, once on the machine it glides very nicely.

11 hours ago, Llama said:

The fence is only connected at the infeed table. Slides very smoothly, and there is very little play if at all in the fence. I can get the fence to move if I push really hard, but in actual usage, the fence does not move. And most importantly, I am getting perfectly 90 degree edges no matter where I lock the fence. The locking mechanism on mine is on the infeed side. I can take pics of it if you want. 

The fence on this machine is not flimsy at all. It's very heavy by itself, and really took some effort to install. However, once on the machine it glides very nicely.

A few pictures would be nice. My Hammer has a hand knob in the center of the machine behind the fence to give it more stability. I don't really like that part of it although I am sure it works fine. The Felder must be just a bit heavier to avoid needing a second lock down mechanism on the fence. 

On 8/6/2017 at 9:52 PM, Cygnus A said:

A few pictures would be nice. My Hammer has a hand knob in the center of the machine behind the fence to give it more stability. I don't really like that part of it although I am sure it works fine. The Felder must be just a bit heavier to avoid needing a second lock down mechanism on the fence. 

Took a pic for you. There is a locking handle on the end. The entire fence just slides on the rail, I use that handle to move the fence. Very steady in use. Looks like it wouldn't be. 

598b6c2e3df20_2017-08-0913_59_59.thumb.jpg.d43a29e3fcea35ce12f2e24f277886ff.jpg